Live From The Royal Princess

Shogun

Bernadette, your posts have been wonderful! They are really helping me get in the spirit of our cruise, even though we don't sail until September. Thanks for taking the time and the minutes to keep us updated. Am watching the Bow Cam as the Royal sails into Istanbul.

Ann

One question I do have. In Venice, what was the price of the Princess shuttle to St. Marks?

Looking forward to reading some more. And looking forward even more to hearing from once you recuperate from the vacation!

When our cruise ended oh so long ago--July 5--it was $15 per person. The drop off point was near the Metropole Hotel, which is a couple of bridges away from St. Marks.

I'm loving these posts. Thanks so much for keeping things going.

Please excuse all typeos/misspells...Princess mi nutes are too precious to correct my numerous errors...not a typist by any means!!

Bernadette

Hi Bernadette

Thanks for your posts, they bring back memories :)

If you are using your iPhone, instead of typing when connected, use the 'notes' application on your phone to compose your post offline, then select and copy the text, connec to internet, open the CC application and just 'paste' your notes and post. Means you only have to be connected for a few seconds.

Hope that helps you!

Dave.

Hi All

From Princess now to go and pay for another cruise,

Dear Passenger,

We are contacting you in regards to your cruise onboard Royal Princess on June 14, 2013. In an effort to ensure the highest quality service and experience to our passengers, we regularly review our practices and charges. During a recent review, we discovered a government fees & taxes adjustment was not credited to your onboard account. Adjustments to the government fees are processed as we receive them and the final amount due is USD $1.00 for each person who traveled on your booking.

Would be happy if they said amounts under $5 will go to crew fund of some type.

yours Shogun

Hi Shogun

I didn't get one of those, perhaps they think I have enough money and don't need it. :)

Dave.

not opening properly to help me send me next update.

carpal tunnel seems to have sewt in for typing with one darn finger.

Upo at 6 for Istanbul,

long er report ready to post. Was holding show comments for next post...The floors are gleaming down here. just pulled a bill, and again one machine is out of paper. Was afraid they would spit out when reloaded, but services desk says they prunt whatever was set to print and destroy it. Whew...

Just got my morning biegnet, all the ready for Istanbul in a bit...ready to wear pants in the hottest port...one does suffer on vacation...

I am escaping completely...was looking on my iphone and saw pics of our pets and then they popped in my head...otherwise only our kids are on our minds....ship is pretty qiuet now...not a lot out and about.

Did not get prices yet for those cabanas...gotta leave something to do....

trying to figure out whatever else questions there were. Muster was 8!5, sailaway 9 AM....so thankfully another couple warned us of muster change cause our balcony breakfast tea and coffee would have been frgiid- We moved it to the 9/930 slot as as soon as we returned ot the cabin, room serbvice was knocking on our door.

Please excuse all typeos/misspells...Princess mi nutes are too precious to correct my numerous errors...not a typist by any means!!

I have our Turkish Lira ready for our jetons for the tram ride. not a bad deal for 10$ for back and forth shuttle to Grand Bazaar...

Won't forget sunscreen, scarve, socks, plastic bag to carry my sandals for the Blue Mosque.

Bernadette

Bernadette

Thanks Bernadette,

Re your last sentence above..do you know if there are special dress requirements for women for Sophia Hagia such as scarf? I know to cover shoulders and wear long pants but had not thought of other items mentioned in your post.

Would love to hear more about Istanbul if you have time.

Thanks so much. We will pay it forward with live posts from for cruise in 18 days!

Ann

Thanks Bernadette from another Bernadette(me). While in Istanbul I did wear long pants, but no scarfs. They seem to me to be very European. Try a Turkish coffee for the experience. I really loved Istanbul, especially the spice market. Do be aware that if you buy saffron, it is not as strong as saffron from Spain. But still a good buy.

I doubt it. They wouldn't accept mine and I've tried on three separate occasions. I've been there quite a few times. I don't think Turkey is into gift cards yet.

I don't want to use one, I was just hoping to buy one... Someone bought a SB gift card for me in England, and I was able to use it in the USA..

not opening properly to help me send me next update.

carpal tunnel seems to have sewt in for typing with one darn finger.

Upo at 6 for Istanbul,

long er report ready to post. Was holding show comments for next post...The floors are gleaming down here. just pulled a bill, and again one machine is out of paper. Was afraid they would spit out when reloaded, but services desk says they prunt whatever was set to print and destroy it. Whew...

Just got my morning biegnet, all the ready for Istanbul in a bit...ready to wear pants in the hottest port...one does suffer on vacation...

I am escaping completely...was looking on my iphone and saw pics of our pets and then they popped in my head...otherwise only our kids are on our minds....ship is pretty qiuet now...not a lot out and about.

Did not get prices yet for those cabanas...gotta leave something to do....

trying to figure out whatever else questions there were. Muster was 8!5, sailaway 9 AM....so thankfully another couple warned us of muster change cause our balcony breakfast tea and coffee would have been frgiid- We moved it to the 9/930 slot as as soon as we returned ot the cabin, room serbvice was knocking on our door.

I have our Turkish Lira ready for our jetons for the tram ride. not a bad deal for 10$ for back and forth shuttle to Grand Bazaar...

Won't forget sunscreen, scarve, socks, plastic bag to carry my sandals for the Blue Mosque.

Bernadette

Bernadette

Thanks for the info!

I don't want to use one, I was just hoping to buy one... Someone bought a SB gift card for me in England, and I was able to use it in the USA..

I've never tried to use one in England. Will do so next time I'm there. But I just think that if you can't use one, they probably don't sell them either. I could be wrong. Will be in Turkey in October. Will take notice and then post on the LIVE.

Once again, THANK YOU Bernadette. Anticipating the next installment.:):):)

Me too...and while we are waiting ,there is a new mini review posted on Dave's thread by another cruiser just returned from the Med. She talks about the pools.:D

Thanks Bernadette,

Re your last sentence above..do you know if there are special dress requirements for women for Sophia Hagia such as scarf? I know to cover shoulders and wear long pants but had not thought of other items mentioned in your post.

Would love to hear more about Istanbul if you have time.

Thanks so much. We will pay it forward with live posts from for cruise in 18 days!

Ann

We did not cover our heads in the mosques. We removed our shoes and wore long pants and covered shoulders.:)

FYI, CC closed down Dave's thread this morning. :( :eek:

Will miss my 'go to' thread!!

Many thanks, Dave, for all you gave us in that thread!!

See you in December! :)

FYI, CC closed down Dave's thread this morning. :( :eek:

Will miss my 'go to' thread!!

Many thanks, Dave, for all you gave us in that thread!!

See you in December! :)

Oh, NO ! Say it isn't so !

A million Thanks, Dave....will also meet you in December :)

sue

Hi all

I think they have closed it because it was getting do big CBC often closes big threads but allows you to start a part sometimes. They do it for us

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Hi all

I think they have closed it because it was getting do big CBC often closes big threads but allows you to start a part sometimes. They do it for us

Yours Shogun

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Forums mobile app

Wish they had let it go to 6000 before closing:(

I had a long post prepared leading UP TO Istanbul....BTW, Istanbul was a wonderful breezy today like it was also in mykonos...

I wore a head scarf inside the two mosques we went into. A woman is supposed to have head, ankles, and arms covered. I respected their religion to follow it since they are so kind to open their mosque to share with us. A woman at Suleman mosque was scowling a bit as they handed her a skirt, etc to put on. Heck, don't go in then..

Hagia Sofia is now a museum...so no need for anything special there...I wore a sleeveless shirt all over Istanbul...no problems...so sorry I am just trying to type a hello. I have wasted an hour trying to get things posted.

Ship internet still STINKS!!!

Food has been wonderful...

We docked for mykonos...Shuttle bus was 10 RT as was Istanbul (we did not use as we had TL and knew how to use the jetonmatik. :)

We started by going to Istanbul Unuversity...then to Suleman Mosque (sorry correct name fails me as I am trying to type fast to beat the clock. hahahah)

I used the nasty squat in a hole touilet...for one TL...thank god that only happened ONCE.....we then wandered Grand Bazaaar, got on the long lines for Blue Moque, then went to Arasta Bazaar...sat by fountains a bit...then we went to Hagia Sofia again( we enjoyed going in a second time)..

Dineer was with CC friends and I had a Beef something that was delicious...my husband will remember the name...so trying to balance the calori intake....

Today we took the shuttle...the announcement was to try to not leave the ship right away since there are 3900 passengers...but once it opened it moved fast...buses loaded quickly and we were on our way easily within 15 minutes. We walked all over town, out to the windmills...shopped and stopped at a shop where i bought a necklace last year and got a few more things...took the windmill pics...had gelato twice...

and came back to a near empty ship and had Horizon Court Bstro for lunch with chocolate dipped strawberries and pineapple. It was dark chocolate. Right now in the piazza, classical music is being played.

Well, gonna try to figure out the rest of the night and tomorrow- sea day and formal night for us..before we hit Naples...we will try to go to Capri on our ownn

Have not read a sinlge book yet- but loving the balcony...had CC friends over for some wine before the deck party...and the 4 of us easily fit and relaxed...BTW, Maisy, our steward has been great- but we don't make much work for her. I should have worn flaanel PJ's, cause my husband loves it cold and it keeps him happy...so cold it is! ship has been great and cool except for one night on the diningroom which resolved before dessert.

OK forgive all typeos- I type with just two fingers and this internet service just is horrid!

See yas later....Still keeping my eyes open for nuances to share....

PS, I cannot tell you what day of the week or day it is, just know we are in Rome for my Brithday- so I think that tells me we are having a GREAT TIME!!

Bernadette

Just to help out a bit for those who want more info and to save Bernadette precious minutes, the Suleman Mosque is:

Suleymaniye Mosque , an Ottomon Imperial mosque located on the third hill in Istanbul.

Also, a jetonmatik is a machine from which you buy tokens for public transit. It only accepts Turkish Lira (coins or paper) and no credit cards.

I doubt it. They wouldn't accept mine and I've tried on three separate occasions. I've been there quite a few times. I don't think Turkey is into gift cards yet.

You can't even use your SBX card in Aruba, which I've tried to do on several occasions, so I'm not surprise you can't use one in Turkey either. :(

Bernadette,

Again, your bright look on everything sounds so great. Do you have traditional dining or Anytime (or whatever Princess calls it)? The internet thing is very disappointing and you have to wonder why on the newest ship in the fleet, it isn't a prime asset.

Let Maisy know that when she will be sailing to the US, she will be equally happy with us and I hope she turns out as good as you say.

Keep that cabin pristine!

Archived