P&O Price Promise Radio 4 investigate

Thejuggler

A tweet from the presenter of Radio4 moneybox programme

"@paullewismoney: Money Box @bbcradio4 noon Sat'day (1) Book now and we'll refund the difference if we cut the price of the same cruise deal later. Hmmm."

Its on at 12 pm tomorrow, 16 June.

I think the answer lies in the Tweet itself. "IF WE CUT THE PRICE OF THE "SAME" CRUISE DEAL" Trouble is, it's not the same cruise deal is it? One is Vantage, the other is Getaway.

Those of us with good memories remember that, either deliberately or accidentally, this minor point was hidden in the small print when their cunning little plan was first launched.

Hopefully, that's the aspect they will be addressing.

Hmmm. Not a particularly sympathetic report.

The BBC guy agreed that the terms of such a price promise should be made absolutely clear. Well it was clear. But it was also intended to mislead and P&O clearly succeeded.

What's the point of making a price promise if the intention is never to implement it? P&O (who did not appear on the programme) issued a statement to the effect that thousands (or was it tens of thousands) of people have benefitted from this. Could this be true? Or are they talking about the concessionary upgrades and OBC offered to vantage passengers who complained?

Doesn't really affect me as I have a getaway booking and if I have my way we won't be cruising again for a number of years. But I tend not to buy products from companies who set out to insult my intelligence!

I thought the item was very much of a damp squib. The key message for me that should have been mentioned is that Vantage and Getaway cruises are being offered in tandem some 6 months plus before the sailing date. Getaways being offered within 90 days of a cruise sail date is understandably commercial sense if they have cabins still unsold or cancellations.

when the getaway fare was first mooted-last year, and the forum on the pando site was working, by the following day people were posting about the "if the vantage fare" or whatever it was called then was reduced etc etc , only it wouldn't be and the getaway fare would be. i.e. it was picked on with in 24hrs.

Since then you have had new bookers who swear they knew nothing about the 2 fares, or people who have travelled with Pando before, yet still moaned about being "done"

Did none of these people check into anything before booking.

If one group of people can pick up with in 24 hours about the wriggle room, how come others cannot pick it up months later.

As Dai has said on numerous occasions cruise lines have reduced their fares for years nearer to sailing date.

All pando are doing now is offering people the chance to cruise now (who may not have been able to afford it before), but with no choices.

when the getaway fare was first mooted-last year, and the forum on the pando site was working, by the following day people were posting about the "if the vantage fare" or whatever it was called then was reduced etc etc , only it wouldn't be and the getaway fare would be. i.e. it was picked on with in 24hrs.

Since then you have had new bookers who swear they knew nothing about the 2 fares, or people who have travelled with Pando before, yet still moaned about being "done"

Did none of these people check into anything before booking.

If one group of people can pick up with in 24 hours about the wriggle room, how come others cannot pick it up months later.

As Dai has said on numerous occasions cruise lines have reduced their fares for years nearer to sailing date.

All pando are doing now is offering people the chance to cruise now (who may not have been able to afford it before), but with no choices.

Not all cruise customers are members of cruise sites like this and the late P&O forum. In fact, I would wager that only a small minority are. How are the rest expected to pick up on P&Os lack of good faith?

As Dai has said on numerous occasions cruise lines have reduced their fares for years nearer to sailing date........

And as others have said on numerous occasions, it is not the fare reductionbut the price promise, which had no purpose other than to encourage early booking at high prices, which was mischievous.

If P&O have any sense they will simply drop the price promise. Regular cruisers, particularly those complaining on this forum, will then have the difficult decision of waiting for the price drop or booking early to secure that "must have" cabin. P&O are obviously trying to accentuate the difference by throwing in unnecessary and vindictive obstacles to getaway fares like no-choice dining, shuttle bus fares etc.

The answer to all this, of course is "B@@@@er P&O" (if you excuse my nautical language). Brand loyalty is for mugs.

I wrote to BBC Money Box and I was quoted in their programme today (as Neil & Barbara), also see bbc.co.uk/ business news for more on this story.

The point isn't that prices were reduced (this is normal business practice when there is a sale of any item - think post Xmas clothes sales), the point is that when we booked there was no mention of a Getaway fare from P&O and they did not state that if the Vantage fare drops, we will refund you, they said if the price drops we will refund you. They did not explain anything about Vantage v Getaway - they do now of course. Their marketing is much clearer now, but it certainly wasn't last August when we booked - hence the complaint.

They have been caught out and they will suffer the consequences.

We have just returned today from a 7 night trip to Norway on Ventura - we booked a last minute Getaway of course. The Vantage v Getaway was the talk of the ship, especially those who paid full price for an inside cabin, while others (us included) got a balcony for a lot less than their inside cabin - ouch!!

Whatever supporters like Dai and English Lady say, P&O have certainly lost a lot of credibility and everyone knows it. Not because of lowering their prices in a sale, but because of their so called Price Promise, which has been proved to be worthless. It will push more cruisers to book late, which is the reverse of what P&O wanted. I bet the top brass at Carnival aren't very impressed.

Customers will vote with their feet and P&O will loose out - but hey-ho, that's business. We are determined to book a few Getaway deals to recoup our loss on a recent Vantage fare.

...... We are determined to book a few Getaway deals to recoup our loss on a recent Vantage fare.

LOL. Reminds me of the time i bought 4 silk prints in Thailand in what i thought was a good deal. I then saw them elsewhere much cheaper so bought more in order to bring the average price down. They are all mildewing in a cupboard.

I wrote to BBC Money Box and I was quoted in their programme today (as Neil & Barbara), also see bbc.co.uk/ business news for more on this story.

The point isn't that prices were reduced (this is normal business practice when there is a sale of any item - think post Xmas clothes sales), the point is that when we booked there was no mention of a Getaway fare from P&O and they did not state that if the Vantage fare drops, we will refund you, they said if the price drops we will refund you. They did not explain anything about Vantage v Getaway - they do now of course. Their marketing is much clearer now, but it certainly wasn't last August when we booked - hence the complaint.

We have just returned today from a 7 night trip to Norway on Ventura - we booked a last minute Getaway of course. The Vantage v Getaway was the talk of the ship, especially those who paid full price for an inside cabin, while others (us included) got a balcony for a lot less than their inside cabin - ouch!!

Whatever supporters like Dai and English Lady say, P&O have certainly lost a lot of credibility and everyone knows it. Not because of lowering their prices in a sale, but because of their so called Price Promise, which has been proved to be worthless. It will push more cruisers to book late, which is the reverse of what P&O wanted. I bet the top brass at Carnival aren't very impressed.

Customers will vote with their feet and P&O will loose out - but hey-ho, that's business. We are determined to book a few Getaway deals to recoup our loss on a recent Vantage fare.

You should read what I say more carefully. I sad weeks ago that they made the mistake early on, in not spelling it out that getaway fares may be brought in to fill up sailings. Which ALL CRUISE LINES DO.

Now it is very clear.

BTW one of the reasons for this price promise was the howls and wails from people finding out that people had paid less than them in the past few years.

Gan Canny

Dai

I too have just come from the Ventura after a weeks sunbathing in Norway. To say the topic of Vantage/Getaway was the talk of the dining areas would be an understatement. If I am honest, I would say that of those who brought the subject up, 90% seemed to have booked that cruise within fourteen days of sailing. I was left with the feeling that on this particular journey, if pricing had not been heavily discounted, the vessel would have been less than half full.

I do suspect that one of the reasons behind the demise of the P&O forum was the constant posts about the Vantage/Getaway rip off. P&O did not want people to be made aware of the con and so closed the site down before too much damaged had been done.

I'm sorry Dai, but for most occasional cruisers, it is still not clear. P&O's literature is still peppered with their "Price Promise". It's fine for those that are fully aware of the history of the subject, but many non cruisers or first timers are not and why should they be. Customers should not need to read the details of terms and conditions to avoid being conned.

Many will still fall for the wheeze that if the price falls they will get the difference as on board credit. But the Vantage Fare never falls, so why promise it at all - it's a con still. Those that are unaware of the Getaway Fare, will still feel misled ongoing.

It is not the fact that P&O reduce prices that is the issue, of course all businesses of all types do this (I've been in business all my life) - it's the price promise that galls me, not the fact that someone has a better deal than me, good luck to them. P&O need to stop this rubbish about a price promise or their problems will continue and customers will continue to feel miffed and complain.

Why can't P&O just be honest and sell Vantage as an all bells and whistles fare and Getaway as no frills last minute fare (if available). Then the customer can make an informed choice, but to sell it with a fictitious Price Promise continues to mislead.

Your loyalty, while laudable, is misplaced here.

I too have just come from the Ventura after a weeks sunbathing in Norway. To say the topic of Vantage/Getaway was the talk of the dining areas would be an understatement. If I am honest, I would say that of those who brought the subject up, 90% seemed to have booked that cruise within fourteen days of sailing. I was left with the feeling that on this particular journey, if pricing had not been heavily discounted, the vessel would have been less than half full.

Daftlad - glad you enjoyed the weather, my tan is more like 2 weeks in the Caribbean than a week in Norway. Think we were very lucky, it could have been so very different.

I'm sorry Dai, but for most occasional cruisers, it is still not clear. P&O's literature is still peppered with their "Price Promise". It's fine for those that are fully aware of the history of the subject, but many non cruisers or first timers are not and why should they be. Customers should not need to read the details of terms and conditions to avoid being conned.

Many will still fall for the wheeze that if the price falls they will get the difference as on board credit. But the Vantage Fare never falls, so why promise it at all - it's a con still. Those that are unaware of the Getaway Fare, will still feel misled ongoing.

It is not the fact that P&O reduce prices that is the issue, of course all businesses of all types do this (I've been in business all my life) - it's the price promise that galls me, not the fact that someone has a better deal than me, good luck to them. P&O need to stop this rubbish about a price promise or their problems will continue and customers will continue to feel miffed and complain.

Why can't P&O just be honest and sell Vantage as an all bells and whistles fare and Getaway as no frills last minute fare (if available). Then the customer can make an informed choice, but to sell it with a fictitious Price Promise continues to mislead.

You are still not reading my post. You are assuming.

Dai

You should read what I say more carefully. I sad weeks ago that they made the mistake early on, in not spelling it out that getaway fares may be brought in to fill up sailings. Which ALL CRUISE LINES DO.

Now it is very clear.

BTW one of the reasons for this price promise was the howls and wails from people finding out that people had paid less than them in the past few years.

Gan Canny

Dai

You're right Dai, I haven't read all of your numerous quotes on this subject - I'm too busy travelling.

I was mearly responding to your quote on this specific forum where you state "Now it is very clear" and disagreeing with it. If you are aware of the issue, it is now very clear, but for those who do not know this subject well, I still feel P&O are misleading people with their "Price Promise". There is no "Promise", as they do not reduce the Vantage fare. It is a marketing slight of hand from P&O.

It was on the issue of the "Price Promise" that I wrote to and contributed to Money Box, not for the fact that sales prices are often cheaper, of course they are.

What all cruise lines do not do is market a play on words "Price Promise".

Well if you book a cruise without looking at the brochure or reading the website then you are being very careless with your money. I say again, and I am talking about the situation now not back in September when mistakes were made. It is very clear. Page 7 of the brochure under the banner Getaway fare.

If you are going to criticise my posts then please read them and do not criticise what you think I have posted because you cannot be bothered. Or more likely it does not suit your argument.

Dai

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I agree totally.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived