Are there windows in the Spinnaker on the Dawn?

laurmac

Having a nice indoor place to read - with a view - is important to us. Really enjoyed the Spinnaker on the Sun, Jewel and Pearl, but thumbs down on the Star.

I've noticed that the Spinnaker on the Dawn is on a lower deck. Does it have windows looking out the back, or is it a "no windows" Spinnaker.

If "no windows" can you recommend any alternatives?

Having a nice indoor place to read - with a view - is important to us. Really enjoyed the Spinnaker on the Sun, Jewel and Pearl, but thumbs down on the Star.

I've noticed that the Spinnaker on the Dawn is on a lower deck. Does it have windows looking out the back, or is it a "no windows" Spinnaker.

If "no windows" can you recommend any alternatives?

I can't recommend a nightclub/bar/lounge as a reading place on any ship. I'd try the library first...or any of the many available bay window seats....anything before a bar.

The library is an option, but I have found the libraries on NCL ships to be small - with limited seating. We've traditionally found the Spinnaker to be our favourite reading venue - when it has windows. If an event starts, then it's time to move somewhere else.

When the bar is closed - the Spinnaker can be a lovely bright, quiet, venue, as many readers have found. And the double loungers in the Spinnaker on the Pearl and Jewel, heaven!

I can't recommend a nightclub/bar/lounge as a reading place on any ship. I'd try the library first...or any of the many available bay window seats....anything before a bar.

Some of the bars are not in use during the day. No servers. No events. Just a nice quiet place to read. We find it works great.

check out this thread...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1861689&highlight=dawn+spinnaker

There seems to be a definite posting there that says that the Dawns current Spinnaker lounge is windowless.

I think the location is where the prior shops were on the Dawn, which was windowless at that time.

Some of the bars are not in use during the day. No servers. No events. Just a nice quiet place to read. We find it works great.

Of course, what works for you works for you. However, nightclubs/bars/lounges are not purpose built for reading. Even when unoccupied, they don't have lighting designed for comfortable reading and the chairs are also not generally designed for this purpose. (Maybe that's why the local library doesn't have barstools? :rolleyes:).

So while you might, I still cannot recommend a nightclub/bar/lounge as a place for quiet reading.

Just off the Dawn. There are two windows on one side of the room right where you enter by the counter height tables with high stools--don't think there were any chairs by them. The spinnaker was busy all day with bingo and private parties--maybe the Star Bar next to Cagney's if the concierge allows it, since that is where she sets up shop.

Of course, what works for you works for you. However, nightclubs/bars/lounges are not purpose built for reading. Even when unoccupied, they don't have lighting designed for comfortable reading and the chairs are also not generally designed for this purpose. (Maybe that's why the local library doesn't have barstools? :rolleyes:).

So while you might, I still cannot recommend a nightclub/bar/lounge as a place for quiet reading.

Excellent points. Especially the type of chairs. One of the ships had these big round almost bed like things. I tried to read, but never got past the first page. (and I read it 5 times- LOL)

Excellent points. Especially the type of chairs. One of the ships had these big round almost bed like things. I tried to read, but never got past the first page. (and I read it 5 times- LOL)

Actually made me LOL :D

Hi, went on the Dawn last year and one of my only complaints was that the Spinnaker Lounge is windowless :(

It's a very dark and crowded room when it's used for any events. The rest of the ship is amazing.

Can't wait to sail again in a couple of weeks.

As someone mentioned, there are a couple of windows on either side of the entrance to the Spinnaker, if you want a view of the ocean, but the chairs may not be too amenable to reading. There are window seats in the public areas where many folks sat to read. I found that the library was comfortable, although there's not much view of the water, except a glimpse down the hall way.

You might be able to use the Star Bar during the day, which would be an awesome place although I never read there. The chairs are very comfortable in there, no teetering precariously on top of a stool. It might be quiet enough during the day time. My favorite place to read was on a lounger. Explore, and you will find a great place to read, I'm sure of it! Reading and cruising, that's a favorite combination of mine!

It's a very dark and crowded room when it's used for any events. The rest of the ship is amazing.

I definitely agree. Spinnaker on The Jade was so much bigger with windows that allowed light in during the day and many people relaxed in the big loungers during the day and read, etc. At night it was a perfect venue for dancing, etc. On the Dawn, the ceiling is so low, people dancing at the White Hot Party were hitting the lights and the whole room is like a cave. I realize they did the best they could with the space, but it's barely adequate for anything beyond bingo.

There seems to be a definite posting there that says that the Dawns current Spinnaker lounge is windowless.

I think the location is where the prior shops were on the Dawn, which was windowless at that time.

They moved Spinnakers there when they created the DOS suites on deck 12. Those inherited the huge windows the old Spinnakers had. A lot of people complain and refuse to attend events in the new Spinnakers, but since they also say it's always full of people in the evenings, someone is using it.

DML

I don't know if the OP is in a suite but if it hasn't changed, the Star Bar is only available for suitepassengers during the day.

You beat me to that one. Nodding. I was thinking the same thing.

DML

Before they moved the Spinnaker on the Star and Dawn, that was my favorite place to sit & read. Floor to ceiling windows, ocean view, great place to get a cup of coffee & sit enjoying a great book.

After the revamp, I found the window seats down near Gatsbys and the cigar room and up near the video arcade to be good spots. Gatsbys can be pretty quiet during the day. The Pearly King can be good if there is not something going on duing the day, if you go back in the L toward the Spinnaker and a window table at the Blue Lagoon is great. Enjoy:)

Just why some people are complaining about the revamped Spinnaker.

In the old location, it was right above the bridge and was really the second show room with comfortable chairs & small tables. The windows were floor to ceiling and went along the front & sides of the room. More natural light than the Laurentian library in Florence, and no chains:D

Cindy in Librarian mode, with bar stools at the teen room computer counter in her library.

We were on a repo on the Star last year, and while we enjoyed the cruise - we vowed never again to sail on the Star because it had no good place to read. Looks like we'll have to pick another ship - or book one of the suites that has the Spinnaker windows!

Archived