Cemeteries in Nassau

carhopsrock

I know this is going to sound weird. I have been to Nassau MANY times and this time I am going to do something that I love to do. I volunteer for a very well known (to genealogists!) website and I would like to visit a couple of churches with cemeteries that I can walk to from my cruise ship. I have been looking at google earth and it doesn't voom in enough for me to tell if most of the churches marked have a graveyard. Can someone with knowledge of the area help by suggesting one or two I can visit? It takes several hours to photograph even a small cemetery, so I want to be able to finish at least one, since I wont be back for six months to a year. Thanks!

A quick Google search brought me to a list of Bahamas graveyards on FindAGrave.com:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=csr&CScntry=18

A few that look within walking distance of the port are Ebeneezer Methodist Church Cemetery, Bahamas Veterans Cemetery, Christ Church Cathedral Cemetery, St. Mary the Virgin Cemetery, Potter's Cemetery, and Sacred Heart Catholic Church Cemetery. I can't speak for how safe it is to walk to these areas as I've never been to Nassau before, but perhaps someone else can help you with the neighborhoods.

One of the most famous gravesites you'll find in Nassau is that of Anna Nicole Smith. She is interred in Lakeview Memorial Gardens & Mausoleums, a private cemetery closer to Nassau Airport. You would have to get a taxi from the port to get there, and I would suggest contacting the gardens before you arrive to see if you can get in.

Just because you can locate a cemetery, or perhaps walk to it, doesn't make it safe.

We are experiencing a huge crime problem here these day. Please do NOT go off by yourself to areas that are not protected.

If this is a valid project, perhaps the gov't can assign security to help you out.

As for churches, there are a couple down town near port, but St Francis on west street has seen it's share of problems these day. A US embassy worker was robbed on the way to church. St. Andrew's Kirk is located on the hill near Government house. Not sure of the hours.

You might want to sign up for the people to people program and experience a church service witih a local guide.

A few years ago, my daughter and her friend and I were on a cruise stop in Nassau and had no real plans, so we got a taxi from the port and toured around the island for an hour or so. My daughter and her friend were obsessed with Anna Nicole Smith and we did go to that cemetery and walk around. It was very interesting. Our taxi tour was very reasonably priced, too. Have fun. Be safe.

I know this is going to sound weird. I have been to Nassau MANY times and this time I am going to do something that I love to do. I volunteer for a very well known (to genealogists!) website and I would like to visit a couple of churches with cemeteries that I can walk to from my cruise ship. I have been looking at google earth and it doesn't voom in enough for me to tell if most of the churches marked have a graveyard. Can someone with knowledge of the area help by suggesting one or two I can visit? It takes several hours to photograph even a small cemetery, so I want to be able to finish at least one, since I wont be back for six months to a year. Thanks!

I am a volunteer photographer for findagrave.com and the cemeteries in Nassau have been mostly photographed (94-100%). The largest cemetery in Nassau appears to be Western Cemetery, which is 97% photographed. Saint Matthews Anglican Episcopal Church Cemetery (Church Street) is another large cemetery, but findagrave.com says it is only 90% photographed, so there is some opportunity there. Findagrave.com says Lakeview Memorial Gardens is only 14% photographed and only has 14 interments, but there looks like a lot more than that in the cemetery photo. And Potters Cemetery (Infant View Road) has not been photographed at all, so there is some opportunity there also.

Wish I could join you, but my girls would rather chain me to the ship than let me go to ANOTHER cemetery! ;)

I don't know about Nassau cemeteries, but there's one in Freeport that I thought was interesting. The reason being it one of few cemeteries that's in the sand near High Rock beach. The tour guide we use July of 2012 Jeff told us that type of cemetery were not common now in the Bahamas for obvious reasons.

Archived