lightweigt vs. midsize scooter

Roustie

I am researching renting my dad a scooter for our Hawaii cruise. He is able to walk but has pain in his feet so has to make many stops. He has never used a scooter before. I am trying to determine which is the best option for him.

I am going to use CareVacations but not sure to get him the lightweight or midsize. His size allows for him to use the lightweight but it seems as though the company is recommending the midsize but won't say why(maybe just pricing). He will be taking it off the ship and doing excurions. Any reason why i should go with the midsize and pay more?

Thanks for any help.

Michelle

I am researching renting my dad a scooter for our Hawaii cruise. He is able to walk but has pain in his feet so has to make many stops. He has never used a scooter before. I am trying to determine which is the best option for him.

I am going to use CareVacations but not sure to get him the lightweight or midsize. His size allows for him to use the lightweight but it seems as though the company is recommending the midsize but won't say why(maybe just pricing). He will be taking it off the ship and doing excurions. Any reason why i should go with the midsize and pay more?

Thanks for any help.

Michelle

Mobility scooters are rented not only based on weight capacity but height as well. A person height influences the seat height position and the leg room on the foot bed of the scooter.

Though you're father's weight might well be within the range of the Lightweight scooter his Height may prohibit him from renting the lightweight scooter.

• Carevacations lightweight scooter has an overall length of 35" while the midsize scooter has an over all length of 40". That 5 inch difference allows for more ease of leg movement and the person is less lightly to get hung trying to move their legs around the tiller based.
  • CareVacations light scooter has a and the Midsize Scooter has a Seat to ground height range of 20-22". So generally speaking anyone 5'8" and over is going to find the midsize scooter more comfortable and easier when trying to get up and off of the scooter.
  • After taking into consideration one's height and weight the addition plus of a midsize scooter is that it has a larger battery with a longer life. Though actual time distance the battery will last will vary depending on the terrain and weight load but having the larger battery gives extra piece of mind when getting off the ship. You will be hard pressed to find someplace to charge the scooter on shore if the battery looses power when on an excursions. Not to day that it won't happen with the midsize scooter only that it's less likely to occur.

Bottom line anyone 5'8" and over is going to need the midsize scooter regardless of one's weight so that the body is not be stressed out. Price should not be the determining factor but rather proper fit should be the main concern.

My big pet peeve is that people think that just any specific scooter or piece of mobility equipment will suffice. People forget that mobility scooters are actually medical equipment and must be purchased or rented as such to ensure that the equipment does not do more harm than good by not having been the correct choice. CareVactions will not rent anything that does not fit to both the height and weight specifications of the user. In fact no reputable scooter company will rent a scooter if it does not meet both the weight and height of the end user.

Great thanks for the details. My dad is only 5'5" so as far as height and weight he definitely fits that scooter. My concern is ease of use for a first timer. We are willing to pay either price but if there is no real difference in ease of use and compactness then we would go with the lightweight.

Thanks

Michelle

Great thanks for the details. My dad is only 5'5" so as far as height and weight he definitely fits that scooter. My concern is ease of use for a first timer. We are willing to pay either price but if there is no real difference in ease of use and compactness then we would go with the lightweight.

Thanks

Michelle

Something else to consider is that you mentioned that your dad is needing the scooter due to his feet hurting. Both scooters are very compact and breakdown very easy to fit into a taxi. I personally own the Pride Go Elite Traveler Plus which is Carevacations Midsize scooter. There's just a small weight difference (meaning weight of the scooter not weight capacity) between the lightweight and midsize as both are from Pride Mobility's GoGo Scooter series. Both will fit through the door of a standard cabin. If I were choosing ( and stress if it we me ) I would rent the midsize as there less of change that his feet will get hung up on the tiller base when trying to get on/off the scooter causing his feet to hurt further but that's what I would do.

As far as ease use the midsize scooter has a Wrap Around Delta tiller which is actually more comfortable on the hands and easier to use. The controls allow the user to go forward or reverse choosing either hand. The hands are placed over the hand rail and the levers are controlled by all fingers . Picture stretching you fingers our and that moving the finger inward.

The light weight scooter does not have a Delta Tiller. Rather it has a single handle bar with the reverse and forward levers under the center of the handle bars. The levers are not clearly visible to the user. The levers are thumb controls which can be tiring to operate particularly if the person has arthritis Also the left control only controls reverse and the right only controls forward. Picture holding a tube in both hands than having the thumbs free to control the levers.

Just so you know I do not work for any of the scooter companies. Just a person who uses a mobility scooter in their daily life.

Watch this video as to how both the lightweight and midsize scooter breaks down to fit into a trunk.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy the cruise. Also suggest taking your father to a store that provides mobility scooters for customer use so he can get used to driving it.

I have two scooters, a "behemoth" rascal and a travelscoot. I use the large rascal in my neighborhood and the travelscoot when I travel. I was fitted for the rascal by seeing a physical therapist. It has several features that were prescribed for my particular disability. It certainly meets and even exceeds my needs. My travelscoot is small and lightweight. It is great for travel and since it is only 35 lbs and collapses I can manage it when I am alone and it goes in the back of my Prius easily. My rascal while it has a hydraulic seat that is wonderful since I am so tall probably weighs 300 lbs. It would be a bear to travel with. It is all about what compromise you are willing to make. At a minimum, I highly recommend going to a store in your area that carries scooters and see what type of scooter feels most comfortable to him and is easiest for him to use.

My 2¢. Battery life! Notice that the light weight has a smaller battery size, so less milage. The large battery more milage. I noticed they gave 10 and 20 miles per battery size. I own a midsize but as a 4 wheeler. When I bought mine the battery life was advertised as 13 miles. But the the battery life depends on the weight or the rider and flat or hilly use. I can’t say just how many mile I did get out of my battery. I have since retired my GoGo Elite Travel Scooter and bought a Luggie Scooter that folds up to the size of a large suitcase for travel. Best idea I had “after my wife told me about it”. LOL. It folds in one piece and fits in the trunk of cars or just about any where else you might need it to fit. If you think dad will need a scooter more often and he likes to travel I would recommend you look into a scooter that may be more useful to his needs. Both at home and for travel. Like the Luggie Scooter or Travelscoot.

Best luck and safe travels

Kevin

Before mentioning other issues, do you have a handicapped accessable room on the cruise? the ship requires far more walking than some excursions. i alsway use my scooter on the ship. The carevacations are 19 in and 21 in, so be sure of cruise canin door width!

I love my small mobility scooter for on board ship. Only 50 lb. and a single foldable frame Easy Lite Deluxe. but like all lightweight scooters it will struggle on hills, should not go on grassy surfaces, and you really feel uneven surface such as brick walkway. It could be at the stops you plan in Hawaii would be more easily accessed with the mid-size they provide.

As others mentioned they have a fairly short distance range. Many have a max of 7 miles, which means a day at Disneyworld requires a Re-charge.(g) the bricks at Port Orleans killed my back. If the price does not matter the larger the scooter the more comfortable in my experience. The big ones with headrest and swivel seats are grand though large for a cruise.

You could always call another scooter rental company and see what size they recommend!

• 2 weeks later...

Just so you know I do not work for any of the scooter companies. Just a person who uses a mobility scooter in their daily life.

Watch this video as to how both the lightweight and midsize scooter breaks down to fit into a trunk.

------WHOA!! ------ thanks for the video link, I never knew the Go Go broke down into 5 pieces, or the seat folded down! In my defense I bought it a week ago from Craigslist, but I thought the whole base with wheels stayed in one piece. Blew my mind.

It worked great on the cruise, as soon as I hit a bumpy patch on the way to the car it stopped. I'm guessing battery issue, as it also doesn't charge now. When I looked under the battery compartment I found 5 screws missing and haven't checked the batteries yet.

BUT... loved having it for Mom, will get it running again so we can have it available for use, AND now I can fit it all into my trunk, rather than backseat and trunk, SO..

THANK YOU

------WHOA!! ------ thanks for the video link, I never knew the Go Go broke down into 5 pieces, or the seat folded down! In my defense I bought it a week ago from Craigslist, but I thought the whole base with wheels stayed in one piece. Blew my mind.

It worked great on the cruise, as soon as I hit a bumpy patch on the way to the car it stopped. I'm guessing battery issue, as it also doesn't charge now. When I looked under the battery compartment I found 5 screws missing and haven't checked the batteries yet.

BUT... loved having it for Mom, will get it running again so we can have it available for use, AND now I can fit it all into my trunk, rather than backseat and trunk, SO..

THANK YOU

Glad you found the link to the video I posted helpful.

Since you purchased yours on Craig's list sounds as though the owner's manual was not included as it explains how the scooter breaks down. If you need a copy of the owners manual use this link. http://www.pridemobility.com/resourcecenter/Downloads/Product_Owners_Manuals/product_owners_manuals.asp

After the page pops up just scroll down to the section with the Pride GoGo's. Also suggest that you print the page on Troubleshooting and tuck it into the pocket on the seat.

Re: issue scooter not working after hitting a bumpy patch. The reason for this might be the cut-off kicked in to avoid damaging the motor. On the Black Battery box there is a little clear plastic bubble covering a button. This is the battery reset button. On my Elite Traveler Model it's directly in the middle next to the charger socket. Make certain turn the power key off , make certain the battery is firmly set into the base, than firmly press the plastic bubble you should feel a button being pressed that contained inside the plastic than try to start /drive the scooter . This is all explained in the owners manual.

Glad you found the link to the video I posted helpful.

Since you purchased yours on Craig's list sounds as though the owner's manual was not included as it explains how the scooter breaks down. If you need a copy of the owners manual use this link. http://www.pridemobility.com/resourcecenter/Downloads/Product_Owners_Manuals/product_owners_manuals.asp

After the page pops up just scroll down to the section with the Pride GoGo's. Also suggest that you print the page on Troubleshooting and tuck it into the pocket on the seat.

Re: issue scooter not working after hitting a bumpy patch. The reason for this might be the cut-off kicked in to avoid damaging the motor. On the Black Battery box there is a little clear plastic bubble covering a button. This is the battery reset button. On my Elite Traveler Model it's directly in the middle next to the charger socket. Make certain turn the power key off , make certain the battery is firmly set into the base, than firmly press the plastic bubble you should feel a button being pressed that contained inside the plastic than try to start /drive the scooter . This is all explained in the owners manual.

Bumping in hopes that susea4000 reads if she comes back onto the forum.

Since finding your helpful tips I have been looking up all sorts of things and videos of the scooter. I have tried the reset button, but maybe not pushing it enough. Since I bought it for about the price to rent, I feel okay about it not working now. I am having it checked over tomorrow by a mechanically minded friend and have printed all material I can find, so we will see how it goes. Again, thank you for your help and attention, I have learned a lot!

Since finding your helpful tips I have been looking up all sorts of things and videos of the scooter. I have tried the reset button, but maybe not pushing it enough. Since I bought it for about the price to rent, I feel okay about it not working now. I am having it checked over tomorrow by a mechanically minded friend and have printed all material I can find, so we will see how it goes. Again, thank you for your help and attention, I have learned a lot!

Hopefully you will get in working without having to pay for costly repairs.

For future reference , depending on the GoGo model, the ground clearance is generally only 1 1/2" - 2" so going over bumps can be problematic. Best to always avoid bumps if possible. Arriving upon a bump that is questionable, I get off the scooter place it in freewheel mode ( yellow lever on back wheels) and roll the scooter over the bump.

In Roustie case I do not think the Travelscoot would be a good choice for her husband. Though I love my Travelscoot and been using it happily for 4 years the pegs that you sit your feet on would probably be very uncomfortable for him as well as the seat. Another portable scooter option I recommend would be the Tzora Classic which also folds up compactly and weighs between 62 and 67 pounds depending on which battery size you chose. It has a comfortable seat and flat floor and not only does it fold but it can be broken down into lighter sections. I have the Tzora Classic which I purchased used about 2 years ago that I keep at work and use every day. I have also taken it on a cruise but prefer the Travelscoot for travel.

http://www.tzora.com/product_62

http://www.tzora.com/distributors_229

I am going to use CareVacations but not sure to get him the lightweight or midsize. His size allows for him to use the lightweight but it seems as though the company is recommending the midsize but won't say why(maybe just pricing). He will be taking it off the ship and doing excursions.

Any reason why i should go with the midsize and pay more?

Thanks for any help.

Michelle

Michelle, if you haven't reserved any island tours yet for your family I would like to tell you how helpful Roberts Tours were last year when we cruised to Hawaii. I use a mobility scooter and they have accessible buses and are much less expensive then the ship's tours. We used this company on every island in Hawaii. Their busses have electric lifts to get the scooter on and off and all of our drivers were very helpful. They have a very informative web site and you won't be disappointed.

Just a quick update: scooter is fixed up again! Battery had jostled when I hit that bumpy spot, and loose wiring. I should have had it looked over before cruising, but purchased it the night before. Yay, now we can use it for future cruises and when needed. Thanks for all the tips, it takes more planning and finesse than I expected!

Archived