Diamonds in December, NOT this year!

If one is counting on a promotion that hasn't been offered and the only reason one is booking is for the promotion, then yes, it would be reasonable to wait until the promotion is official before buying anything that's nonrefundable. I love my aft cabin as much as you do, and would likely book and hold off on the air until the promotion is confirmed. In my experience, one airline or another always seems to be offering a sale 4-5 months out. And if not, well, that's my gamble and I may lose.

So why not hold on to next December's bookings and see what, if anything, RCI have up their sleeves?

Make that three of us.

Or if one must book air, one might select an airline or fare offering refunds or free/cheap changes. Book SWA, for example, and you can change the dates or cities if needed.

This year DID will be replaced with "PIG" (greedy person: somebody who is regarded as slovenly, greedy, or gluttonous). This group of C & A members have always wanted something for nothing. They can easily be found on these boards by their posts titled "What more should I ask for?", "Just made Gold - how can I get robes and upgraded hair products", "How do I convince the concierge to allow my non-D+ friends and family into the CL with me?" and "How many meals can I order at the same time in dining room? I want to sample them all!". They want more, they want more!

Rather than received lapel pins, they will receive rubber pig noses to wear during the cruise, will have a point deleted every time they whine and beg for anything not listed in their C & A status list of benefits or display gluttonous behavior. They will also receive the sincere thanks of RCL if this results in their cruising less or not at all because this will allow more space on their ships who act responsibly and accept anything offered as a "promotion" by the cruise line with a polite thank you.

icon14.gif Took the words right out of my mouth!!:D It's all about "entitlement"!:(

I called Crown & Anchor last week and got the speech that they weren't offering the DID promo this year.

I can't say I was "counting" on the promotion, but AM disappointed. Last December was our first opportunity to sail in December and we enjoyed meeting so many Diamond members in the lounge. And as we continue to sail, we come closer to Diamond Plus. That was the ONLY time we got more than 1 point per night, no suites for us. We will still get there, one point at a time.

I know they will come up with something else to entice us to sail more or at a different time. We will still sail in December and we will likely still meet many nice cruisers.

This year DID will be replaced with "PIG" (greedy person: somebody who is regarded as slovenly, greedy, or gluttonous). This group of C & A members have always wanted something for nothing. They can easily be found on these boards by their posts titled "What more should I ask for?", "Just made Gold - how can I get robes and upgraded hair products", "How do I convince the concierge to allow my non-D+ friends and family into the CL with me?" and "How many meals can I order at the same time in dining room? I want to sample them all!". They want more, they want more!

Rather than received lapel pins, they will receive rubber pig noses to wear during the cruise, will have a point deleted every time they whine and beg for anything not listed in their C & A status list of benefits or display gluttonous behavior. They will also receive the sincere thanks of RCL if this results in their cruising less or not at all because this will allow more space on their ships who act responsibly and accept anything offered as a "promotion" by the cruise line with a polite thank you.

<<LIKE>> I personally cannot believe the tone of people on this thread believing they are 'entitled' to the DiD promo for eternity and having tantrums because it is not happening. Incredulous.

I would be devastated if I were a Diamond, especially those who only needed one cruise this December to make it to D+.

We were essentially in that boat. I'm not pleased, but, not devastated either. It may mean that we take an additional cruise to reach D+. I'm waiting to see what offers come out in the future though. In the end though, it's about the vacation, and I have had just as much fun on all the cruises.

<<LIKE>> I personally cannot believe the tone of people on this thread believing they are 'entitled' to the DiD promo for eternity and having tantrums because it is not happening. Incredulous.

LIKE or DITTO

I am Diamond Plus and nearing the half way point to Pinnacle. Even with DID promotions, Hubby and I won't reach Pinnacle before our mid-eighties at the very earliest. So we are not "chasing status" as was mentioned in a post here, because the truth is we may never reach Pinnacle.

Yet, we did like the little extra show of appreciation in December. I don't think that has anything to do with "tone" or some outrageous sense of "entitlement." I don't even drink alcohol so it isn't a matter of wanting to suck up free drinks in the Concierge and Diamond lounges.

Just because some here express disappointment at the loss of the DID promotion, doesn't mean they have some arrogant sense of entitlement. I think it is OK to express disappointment at RCI sometimes. It isn't a crime.

I am Diamond Plus and nearing the half way point to Pinnacle. Even with DID promotions, Hubby and I won't reach Pinnacle before our mid-eighties at the very earliest. So we are not "chasing status" as was mentioned in a post here, because the truth is we may never reach Pinnacle.

Yet, we did like the little extra show of appreciation in December. I don't think that has anything to do with "tone" or some outrageous sense of "entitlement." I don't even drink alcohol so it isn't a matter of wanting to suck up free drinks in the Concierge and Diamond lounges.

Just because some here express disappointment at the loss of the DID promotion, doesn't mean they have some arrogant sense of entitlement. I think it is OK to express disappointment at RCI sometimes. It isn't a crime.

Nice post.

I think many are disappointed. You are. I, too, am a bit disappointed. But I am not angry. I do not feel I was promised DID 2013. I do not feel by having DID for four years, the company now owes us another event, or owes us an explanation, or owes us longer notice. For most, do not feel complaints are warranted. If a LA did mislead somebody, I can understand complaining about the LA's behavior, but such a complaint is about the LA rather than about a nonevent.

Been with RCL for awhile now in my time I have seen benefits and perks come and go some really bothered me some not, I am putting the Diamond in December in the not column. It would of been nice but no big deal that it is not happening. I am just glad to be cruising

Well said. Unless we hit the lottery Pinnacle is not possible. D+ however, is very close.

I just noticed that only 4 days before this thread was started that RCI named a new Senior VP of Marketing and part of her job is "loyalty marketing". Her name is Carol Schuster. More changes might be to come with this change at the higher level. Of course change seems constant with RCI. We'll have to wait and see if her own style comes though in any noticeable manner.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1829886&highlight=

Gina

However RCCL is starting to realize that they need to reward bottom feeders like me to get me on board to spend money and reach a class like you all. Hence, I see RCCL offering more incentives for the newer cruisers. To reward those who have reached such a high class is not as profitable for them and Maybe the New director of marketing is on the right track..

However RCCL is starting to realize that they need to reward bottom feeders like me to get me on board to spend money and reach a class like you all. Hence, I see RCCL offering more incentives for the newer cruisers. To reward those who have reached such a high class is not as profitable for them and Maybe the New director of marketing is on the right track..

My thoughts exactly. What RCI needs to do is concentrate on new cruisers and those with the lowest tiers. Especially now with the recent problems with the other cruise line quite a few are jumping ship. Rewarding newer cruisers is a way to snag them and keep them. Diamond, Diamond+, and Pinnacle are pretty much locked in and they know it.

My thoughts exactly. What RCI needs to do is concentrate on new cruisers and those with the lowest tiers. Especially now with the recent problems with the other cruise line quite a few are jumping ship. Rewarding newer cruisers is a way to snag them and keep them. Diamond, Diamond+, and Pinnacle are pretty much locked in and they know it.

I reckon there is probably going to be some aggressive loyalty marketing with the appointment of the new vice-president, to hook and keep the Carnival deserters and make current RCCL lower tier cruisers feel a lot more important.

I think that RCI has been doing that for a few years now.

With all due respect, I have no idea how you arrived at these conclusions. Please give me some new examples of how RCCL "is starting to realize"?

When you say RCCL should concentrate on new cruisers and lower tiers. What exactly does that mean? Dismantling the Diamond and Concierge lounges they have promised for every ship? What rewards does a Diamond get for an inside cabin? Or would you give all of the perks to the second time cruisers to diminish the incentive to move up by staying loyal to royal? If all I get for being a Diamond is a free drink at night, we'll start experimenting with other cruise lines. My loyalty is for sale.

I'm just trying to understand what your points are? Please give me some examples?

I just noticed that only 4 days before this thread was started that RCI named a new Senior VP of Marketing and part of her job is "loyalty marketing". Her name is Carol Schuster. More changes might be to come with this change at the higher level. Of course change seems constant with RCI. We'll have to wait and see if her own style comes though in any noticeable manner.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1829886&highlight=

Gina

Sorry, not impressed with her background particularly NO knowledge of the Cruise Industry. Sales is sales is sales no longer applies. Seems too soon for this decision to have been hers.

With all due respect, I have no idea how you arrived at these conclusions. Please give me some new examples of how RCCL "is starting to realize"?

When you say RCCL should concentrate on new cruisers and lower tiers. What exactly does that mean? Dismantling the Diamond and Concierge lounges they have promised for every ship? What rewards does a Diamond get for an inside cabin? Or would you give all of the perks to the second time cruisers to diminish the incentive to move up by staying loyal to royal? If all I get for being a Diamond is a free drink at night, we'll start experimenting with other cruise lines. My loyalty is for sale.

I'm just trying to understand what your points are? Please give me some examples?

I said nothing about taking away anything from anybody. It's all about marketing. Throw these newer people a bone or a little incentive and they may return. It's all about sales. That's why the marketing execs make the big bucks. To come up with ways to increase sales.

Maybe they will have a program that is bigger & better????

Maybe like some promises of lower Federal taxes, transparency in Government and more jobs!!!!!

Ha ha,,let's not all hold our breath till that happens:eek::eek:

Sorry, not impressed with her background particularly NO knowledge of the Cruise Industry. Sales is sales is sales no longer applies. Seems too soon for this decision to have been hers.

But the point is, she is in charge of loyalty marketing. And then 4 days after she's hired this strange email goes out to so very few people saying there will not be a DID. Why send it to a few if not everyone?

I certainly don't think RCI should have been expected to make that decision last December. And I also don't think anyone should have expected it to even happen. But to send this email saying it's not going to happen to anyone and not to all is a bit odd.

And FOUR days after hiring a new person for "loyalty marketing"? What happened there?

Gina

Archived