WOW ! Up To 400 People Remove Gratuities

Isn't it most important that HE feels he's done the right thing? The tip removal is a option which he gets to choose. He can tip who and how he wants. What makes you so high and mighty? I guarantee there are people tipping more than you are. Does that make you a piece of garbage that you are making this man out to be?

My point was that he feels good for tipping when in actual fact some people miss out by using his method. He thinks he knows better than the cruise line and is trying to encourage the staff he tips to not share, when the policy is to share the tips. If he auto tipped and then tipped extra, then they wouldn't have to share the extras. As for amounts, they were never mentioned.

Am I a piece of garbage for mentioning it, then maybe I am and maybe you are the same as it cuts too close to the bone.

Why don't we tip the girls working the phones?

Or the team working the security getting on and off the ship?

Surely these people work hard, and have dozens of babies at home and haven't seen their family in hours....years.

Oh. Royal pays THEM a fair salary.

Why them and not others?

Or will Royal cut their salaries and up the daily forced tip another buck or two?

This whole tip thing is, I don't know.

I leave the automatic tips on. I tip a buck here and there extra on top of the 18% when I get a smile and / or a heavy pour, maybe even a fin if I really hit it off with the bartender. Sometimes the room steward does something to distinguish himself to earn a 20 slipped discreetly in a handshake once or twice during the week. Other cruises just auto tips are enough. Service was never so bad I wanted to reduce the auto tips, er, I mean auto service charge.

My point was that he feels good for tipping when in actual fact some people miss out by using his method. He thinks he knows better than the cruise line and is trying to encourage the staff he tips to not share, when the policy is to share the tips. If he auto tipped and then tipped extra, then they wouldn't have to share the extras. As for amounts, they were never mentioned.

Am I a piece of garbage for mentioning it, then maybe I am and maybe you are the same as it cuts too close to the bone.

I'm comfortable in my own skin for whatever I choose. Don't change things around. You tried to make him feel bad for his choices. If you want to let RCI make choices for you because you don't think you can't make a reasonably correct choice for yourself and your family, that's on you. Options are put in place for a reason.

I am not questioning anybody's practices pertaining to tipping just questioning what I have always believed about it. these are my believes somebody feel free to correct me if you know for a fact it is wrong.

If you remove auto tips the person you tip is only allowed to keep whatever you give them above the auto amount for their services. When I tip an additional amount I put it in an envelope with our name and cabin number I know you could try to do this discreetly but they are supposed to turn them in and then get them back after the auto tip is checked.

If this is true you could be tipping less to this individual by doing the cash only method. Plus all the behind the scenes people Laundry,dishwashers ect... will be left out if the crew person secretly pockets the tip. This would all be ended by the cruise industry treating their employees like an all exclusive resort and making it a part of the price.

Why them and not others?

From what I've been told by a few friends working on ships, most people in tipped positions like it just the way it is and don't want to go to salary. To me, that sounds "fair," and not for anyone on the outside to judge.

Why don't we tip the girls working the phones?

Or the team working the security getting on and off the ship?

Surely these people work hard, and have dozens of babies at home and haven't seen their family in hours....years.

Why them and not others?

Or will Royal cut their salaries and up the daily forced tip another buck or two?

This whole tip thing is, I don't know.

I leave the automatic tips on. I tip a buck here and there extra on top of the 18% when I get a smile and / or a heavy pour, maybe even a fin if I really hit it off with the bartender. Sometimes the room steward does something to distinguish himself to earn a 20 slipped discreetly in a handshake once or twice during the week. Other cruises just auto tips are enough. Service was never so bad I wanted to reduce the auto tips, er, I mean auto service charge.

You raise a point that really puzzles me.

How do you (in tipping cultures) decide who gets tipped and who doesn't.

It's not just people who provide you a service, or you'd tip your doctor, accountant and attorney and real estate agent etc after all they all provide a service.

Can't just be because they're low paid, after all I've been told many times that you don't tip at fast foot joints or supermarkets.

On a cruise I've never seen anyone tip th people at the Pursers dek, but all they o is provide service, and I've got no idea how much they are paid.

I read things about tipping hairdressers, now I have ine relative who is a hairdresser, just finished he apprenticeship, and one a lawyer, jut finished her degree, at the moment h hairdresser earns more (won't stay that way long I suspect) but why, oh why should the hairdresser get tipped, but not the lawyer?

So how do you decide?

Now let's be clear I live in a country where tipping isn't the big item it is in some places, people are pretty well paid, when n a cruise I leave the auto tips in place and generally tip extra to some staff, never pre tip, never tip as I go, always try o be polite and friendly, have always had great service.