Cruise Critic Community
robinlynn

Jusr booked Viking from Amsterdam to Basel for next May 9

We are very excited! This will be our first river cruise after 3 ocean cruises of Europe, one Seabourn and two Celebrity. They were all different parts of the Mediterranean.

We are doing the Rhine Getaway, on a new longship that isn't even completed yet. Spending three days in Amsterdam first and following with four days on Lake Geneva. It sounds wonderful!

I always wanted to see the Black Forest and Rhine with all of its castles, and I am excited about revisitng Switzerland after many years!

Any thoughts on a great hotel in Amsterdam?

Wish Viking were giving us better rooms in the after cruise addition on Lake Geneva.....beautiful Fairmont Hotel in Montreuix, but I was told cheapest rooms. That stinks.

Robin

Edited by robinlynn

The price and room choice for pre/post stays are never the best. Do your own arrangements and save $. I am staying in Lucerne before the cruise and saved over $300 per person. The amt of effort to do it yourself is negligible.

The price and room choice for pre/post stays are never the best. Do your own arrangements and save $. I am staying in Lucerne before the cruise and saved over $300 per person. The amt of effort to do it yourself is negligible.

I did end up making my own arrangements and did get a much better room deal at the hotel. Costing me about $100 (total for three nights and that includes breakfast and VAT and taxes)) more for a Deluxe Lakeview room with balcony than the city view standard room that was probably going to be assigned with the group arrangements made by Viking.(heard this both from Viking and the hotel)

Only obstacle now is getting to Montreiux from Basel....the lowest quote I have is $683 including tip, but can get that cost down if we can find someone else who would like to share a minivan ride for $845, bringing the cost down to just over $400. It is worth it to me to be able to get up in the morning and look at the spectacular view from my balcony and my upgraded room.

Our train rides/with luggage days are over I am afraid. Been there done that. We are now 66 and it would be too difficult with 2 weeks worth of luggage.

Thanks for the advice

Robin

See if easy jet flies from basel to montreux...we used it from Rome to basel...no complaints. Paid extra for seats with extra room and our luggage but had no issues at all.

robinlynn-$845 for a 2 hour trip from basel to montreaux sounds like a complete rip off! It's less than 200 km from basel to montreaux. have you thought about renting a car on your own? Or have you thought about using the swiss trains? I'm sure either one would be a whole lot less.

switzerland and the alps are so beautiful. Have a great cruise.

A heard from Viking that a taxi from Basel to Montreuix should be about $ 330, still an awful lot, but better than the original outrageous amounts I got quoted previously.

I am still hoping another couple might want to share a ride with us. If we can get a reasonable van/taxi to accommodate 2 couples and split the cost, it won't be as bad. It is worth the trade-off to get a MUCH nicer room at our hotel by booking on our own in Montreuix . We are staying there for 4 nights after the cruise, using it as a base to visit Lausanne and Geneva and , of course enjoying all that Lake Geneva and the Fairmont have to offer.

I don't want to go by train with all of our luggage and really don't want to go through the hassle of a car rental for a 2 hour ride.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Robin

Robin, we just booked for next June with Uniworld Amsterdam to Basel.. We just returned from Uniworld Burgundy Provence and it was fabulous. We stayed precruise in Paris(pretrips & post trips are way too expensive do it on your own). We are in our 60's also and we found that doing the three days in Paris and four days in Aix Provence were exhausting. This time we will do three or four days in Amsterdam the cruise and fly home. Need recommendations for Hotel in Amsterdam. I have been on the Trip Advisor forum so many choices also areas of the City to stay!!! Haven't a clue so another year of planning..it is very exciting and I love the anticipation of the trip.

Robin, we just booked for next June with Uniworld Amsterdam to Basel.. We just returned from Uniworld Burgundy Provence and it was fabulous. We stayed precruise in Paris(pretrips & post trips are way too expensive do it on your own). We are in our 60's also and we found that doing the three days in Paris and four days in Aix Provence were exhausting. This time we will do three or four days in Amsterdam the cruise and fly home. Need recommendations for Hotel in Amsterdam. I have been on the Trip Advisor forum so many choices also areas of the City to stay!!! Haven't a clue so another year of planning..it is very exciting and I love the anticipation of the trip.

We are only going to be in Amsterdam for two days, since we have been there before and the first day of our cruise is also Amsterdam. I have our hotel choice narrowed down to two.

The Banks Mansion sounded great with a wonderful location. Found it on Trip Advisor, but a little more than I wanted to spend for a nice canal view room. I am also considering the Movenpick . It is conveniently located next door to the cruise port. and their executive rooms , which are on the high floors, overlook the river and all of the cruise ships coming and going. Not as convenient to central Amsterdam sites, but much less expensive than the Banks Mansion. It is one of the main hotels many of the cruise ships, including Viking ,use for pre-cruise in Amsterdam. I thought maybe we would meet some cruisers from our cruise , which would really be nice. I am waiting to hear back from them, however, as some of their pricings are non-cancellable and I won't do that

Good luck planning. It is a lot of fun!

Robin

Edited by robinlynn
incomplete post

robinlynn-$845 for a 2 hour trip from basel to montreaux sounds like a complete rip off! It's less than 200 km from basel to montreaux. have you thought about renting a car on your own? Or have you thought about using the swiss trains? I'm sure either one would be a whole lot less.

switzerland and the alps are so beautiful. Have a great cruise.

I was told by another limo company that it is a 3 hour trip... the best car service price I have gotten is $750, which if split between two couples, probably would not be much more than a taxi to the train station, the train fare for two and then a taxi to the hotel from the train station.

Also, there is no direct train, so now we would be switching trains with all of our luggage.

We may have to look into a car rental, if we can't find anyone to share a ride with, but I think that will also cost almost the same. We would have to get to the rental car from the cruise port by taxi, pay for one way car drop for the day, take taxi from rental car drop off to hotel, gas, tolls, insurance....I don't think we will save much.

The ship also quoted 330 Euro for a taxi they could get for us, but no guarantees for prices or availability.

I would rather make my own confirmed car service reservation.

Thanks for the advice....we will have to weigh our options

Robin

I must take some exception to your comment that pre/post are too expensive to do on your own! With a little bit of planning we are staying 3 days Lucerne/3 days in Amsterdam (both 4 to 5 star hotels) and I saved a total of $600 for two people compared to what viking was asking.

We stayed at the Movenpick in May. It is a very nice hotel and the people doing the Viking post cruise stayed there also. We bid on our room on priceline and got it for about $100 US. We bought trip insurance (just in case we had to cancel the room) through priceline for about 10.00 and couldn't have been happier. they have a shuttle that will carry you to the train station which is the gateway to the canals and main part of Amsterdam. It is also a very easy walk. I liked the fact that the hotel had a/c but we really didn't need it. It was a little chilly while we were there.

Hello.

Our last visit 2011 was a week post Baltic cruise and we rented a ground floor flat (few and far between) on a canal that was close to public transportation and walking distance to Museumplein.

A few years prior we stayed at the Marriott, also walking distance to Museumplein (very nice). Also, following Rick Steves advice, last time we bought museum cards (annual) which saved us $$$ and our landlady then purchased from us as well. Not very interested in central or port areas of Amsterdam. If you love art and haven't been to Amsterdam allow a day for Van Gogh Museum and a day for Reijtmuseum. We also loved visit to Rembrandt house, Hermitage museum (buildings elevators alone worth it), and Jewish museum. Also, trains in Netherlands are wonderful and someday we hope to visit more cities.

We are also 66 (obviously will be 67 next year) and want to do more train travel but how? Hope to purchase new smaller and lighter suitcases and (as usual) add some option that allows access to washer/dryer during the 3-4 weeks. We always return with unworn clothes. River travel is casual and apartments and some cruise lines allow for laundry rooms.

Any thoughts about selecting Switzerland/Amsterdam versus either Vienna or Budapest/Amsterdam? Also looking at time of year? June vs July? Have you monitored Danube flooding? Would that make a difference versus any possibility of Rhine flooding?

My best,

DJ:)

We have done the Danube from Budapest to Nuremberg and also the Rhine from Basel to Amsterdam. We enjoyed both cruises. They are VERY similar. We stayed a few extra days in both Budapest and Basel and had fun in each. We did a daytrip from Basel to Lucerne via train and LOVED IT!!!!!! The scenery is unbelievable. We did a round trip to Mt. Pilateus....took gondolas up and the cogwheel train down. It's about as pretty as it gets. It does seem like there is more trouble with flooding on the Danube than the Rhine. We went on both cruises from about May 19-27th. The weather was warmer in 2012 on the Danube than it was this year on the Rhine. I preferred the weather in 2012 BUT I would not want to wait until it was HOT. I would think you would be fine on either trip in late June or early July. Surely the flooding would be over by then BUT you never know! Hope you have a great time.

We have done the Danube from Budapest to Nuremberg and also the Rhine from Basel to Amsterdam. We enjoyed both cruises. They are VERY similar. We stayed a few extra days in both Budapest and Basel and had fun in each. We did a daytrip from Basel to Lucerne via train and LOVED IT!!!!!! The scenery is unbelievable. We did a round trip to Mt. Pilateus....took gondolas up and the cogwheel train down. It's about as pretty as it gets. It does seem like there is more trouble with flooding on the Danube than the Rhine. We went on both cruises from about May 19-27th. The weather was warmer in 2012 on the Danube than it was this year on the Rhine. I preferred the weather in 2012 BUT I would not want to wait until it was HOT. I would think you would be fine on either trip in late June or early July. Surely the flooding would be over by then BUT you never know! Hope you have a great time.

After consultation with MDW, our tentative plan is to start with the one week versus two week river cruise, seeing something of Switzerland before (much thanks for your report of experiences!). Need to see where we can fly into Switzerland on our points and start here with cruise reports and tripadvisor. I see there are a variety of ocean cruises out of both Amsterdam and Rotterdam that could then follow (would like to return to Bergen and see Oslo for the first time), although we would be open to something else. Though very pedestrian, will look into which ships offer self-service laundries. (Anyone have the experience of travel between Amsterdam and Rotterdam? -- Our rail experience in Netherlands has been very positive and have heard that Switzerland offers great options!)

In Retirement...we do something very similar each year in the fall. This year we will do a Med. cruise out of Barcelona. Then take easyjet from Barcelona to Basel and stay 4 days. Then do a river cruise Basel to Amsterdam, a few days in Amsterdam and then home.

Once you are in Europe, it's very easy and sometimes quite inexpensive to get a plane or train to the next destination. But I agree about the luggage. Last year's trip was our first doing trains and I definitely overpacked and it was disastrous. I made all the reservations from home, but didn't realize you have only minutes to find your reserved car and board. I fell trying to navigate my spinner luggage while running down the platform toward our car. Luckily I wasn't hurt, but I don't want to repeat that situation. We are 70 and 66, and lesson learned, we will pack very light and do laundry, either self service on ship, or send it out to the ship's laundry.

Yes, I envy folks who are not limited to specific weeks for travel, but I respect MDW's desire to keep teaching, that limits travel to about 3 weeks in December/January and from mid-May to early August. Someday we can do Netherlands in March/April and Europe once children are back in school and the vacation frenzy is over! (In contrast, took my family to Alaska 20 July and for a completely packed ship, people were well-behaved and the weather (unfortunately) was wonderful!)

Need to look at where we can fly into the most easily and I guess a first introduction to Switzerland by reading TripAdvisor? Have found a Basel to Amsterdam river cruise that ends the day an ocean cruise starts from Rotterdam and see that the train is less than two hours away! My thought also is that the river cruise is going to cost, but the ocean cruise looks like it will be the target of upcoming price reductions (my favorite)!

On Viking Basel to Amsterdam there are set (walking, bus) tours and some mention of either free time or "supplemental" tours, any explanation from those who have experienced this cruise? Last year we did a 5-day/4-night bus tour out of Madrid and were very disappointed with the variable quality of provided tours and especially the "alternative" tours that the tour leader tried to force on us. Doing it again, I would have been better prepared to visit important sites based upon my own reading? Thanks.

We did this cruise in May of this year. We really liked it. We enjoyed all the set tours including the Black Forest. Some people did the wine tour and some did Alsace but we had already been there and done that so we passed. The weather turned out to be pretty dismal the day of the supplemental tours so we were glad we opted out. There were many opportunities to explore on our own in most ports after we did the included excursion...We spent a lot of time in Strasburg and Cologne and enjoyed being able to go back there and do our own thing! We really really enjoyed spending a few extra days in Basel before the cruise and doing our Lucerne daytrip from there.

We did this cruise in May of this year. We really liked it. We enjoyed all the set tours including the Black Forest. Some people did the wine tour and some did Alsace but we had already been there and done that so we passed. The weather turned out to be pretty dismal the day of the supplemental tours so we were glad we opted out. There were many opportunities to explore on our own in most ports after we did the included excursion...We spent a lot of time in Strasburg and Cologne and enjoyed being able to go back there and do our own thing! We really really enjoyed spending a few extra days in Basel before the cruise and doing our Lucerne daytrip from there.

Unlike our 4-day tour out of Madrid last June, its absolutely great to supplement whatever Viking provides (to my direct questions) with the personal experiences of those who have come before, thanks:

(1) Could you provide some description and length (time) of provided tours (Breisach, Straasbourg, Heidelberg/Speyer, Koblenz/Rudesheim, Cologne, Kinderdijk) and the time you have "to do your own thing" or participate in Viking's (or tour manager's?) alternatives and some idea of $$$. With plenty of time, I can read up and make reasonable decisions. Also, we have the option of monitoring our level of energy and need to take it easy as we go. (Our experience with the tour company Trapsatur (Madrid) was that hotels and transportation were excellent, but "optional" tours (NEVER revealed until on the bus) were not for those interested in history and culture and just a way for the tour manager to make $$.)

(2) What do you remember about the embarkation process (location and time window for boarding boat: earliest/latest; access to lunch, etc.). What do you remember about the debarkation process in Amsterdam (location compared to cruiseship terminal and Amsterdam Centraal (train station)? Approximate time (after breakfast)? I have "selected" the cruise that ends on the day that a one-week cruise to Norway begins out of Rotterdam. The train from Amsterdam Centraal to Rotterdam Central is less than an hour and we would have 5 hours (I believe that the train runs at least hourly.)

(3) I see that we can fly into Basel, Geneva, or Zurich (each from Frankfurt) using our accumulated points and, after subtracting the dreaded first day (we have learned that we respond very poorly to the time change, and are basically zombies on day one and better to mainly sit and look out at something scenic) we can have 3 to 5 days precruise. For a first visit to Switzerland, would any of you (1) go to Basel and do local and day trips (which?) -- we do enjoy museums, etc. (2) go to Geneva, spend the first day looking out at the lake, see the city in a day or so and take a train to Basel (is this scenic?). (3) I think that Zurich doesn't make much sense?

(4) Focusing on Viking as a tour provider (for those of us really experienced in ocean cruises): what experiences really surprised you? I expect a slower and more limited pace and have no problem living with less food and fewer options with sedentary onboard activities (Considering we are going when days are long, we have the benefit of sitting and just looking at the passing countryside -- even at 10pm! What seems to be the benefit of either a balcony (upper vs lower) or a "French balcony" (sounds fancy, but just a sliding glass door to look out of?).

Hope my posting gives you the opportunity to relive some personally positive experiences -- but please also detail any problems/worries/surprises (these river cruises are certainly more expensive and apparently not subject to price reductions that we have experienced on ocean cruises),

Much thanks,

Most of the included tours began around 8:30 in the morning and they lasted for around 3 hours. We would then head back to the ship for lunch and then head back to wherever we had docked to see more on our own. The weather is going to play a huge role in how much you want to do on top of the tour they provide. We felt like we had excellent guides in every port and on our cruise Viking had four brand new mercedes buses following our ship so they were there at the dock to take us wherever we were going. We never had to wait on the buses more than a few minutes.

Breisach was a small town right on the river. We left there at about 8:30 in the morning on the buses and headed for the Black Forest. Our guide gave us some historical/geographical facts on our way there but did not blab the entire time we were in transit. The scenery was beautiful. We saw farmland and farm houses- the houses were big but maily because the family lives in one side and the livestock lives in the other so that in the winter, the family does not have to go outside to feed the cows, etc. The rolling landscape was gorgeous. We went to an area in the black forest that had a glass blowing shop, a cuckoo clock shop, a hotel and a restaurant. We hiked up into the forest with one of our guides. When we came back, a local small symphony had set up and was performing in a pavillion for free. There were local vendors in stands selling sausages, cheeses, wines, woodwork, etc. We went back to where the stores were and had black forest cake (divine), tasted the liquer (pretty bad), watched a massive clock strike the hour and saw the huge figurines come in and outside of the store as the clock struck. We saw a glass blower doing his thing. We left after being there for probably 1.5 hours and started heading back to the ship but we went a different route so we would see different things. The scenery was again beautiful and we went to a very small village or two and saw more wonderful churches. This excursion was long and we were probably gone close to 4.5- 5 hours so lunch was not until 1 or so. This was the only day that there were optional tours. One went to Colmar and the other did the wine trail. We had been to Alsace already and didn't see the need to go back. It was kind of cold and drizzly that day so we were really glad we did not go back out. We did however walk into Breisach and see the town and the fortress on our own. It was very quaint and we were glad we were able to look around.

Strasbourg was the next stop. Our buses were at the boat at 8:30 to take us the few miles into town. We did a walking tour of the old town. It took about 3-3.5 hours allowing us time to roam a little on our own. Bus took us back to the ship for lunch. That afternoon, the buses ran shuttles back and forth into town. You could stay as long as you wanted. Came back to ship for dinner and departure.

Heidelberg next. Bus took us to Heidleberg. We toured the castle and did a walking tour of the old town. We had time to roam on our own and then bused back to the ship for lunch. Cruised from there to Rudesheim and could walk right of the ship and be in the heart of everything.....You could chose to eat a local restaurant or come back to the ship for dinner. People did both.

Next day was Brauback and Koblenz. We spent a few hours in the morning cruising the Rhine and looking at castle after castle. We stopped at about 10 and the buses took us to Marksburg Castle and museum where we had a tour. We went back to the ship for lunch and then cruised to Koblenz. Our cruise director took those who wanted on a walking tour of Koblenz. We had about 4 hours where we could do whatever we wanted there....sample beers, go to museums, shop, whatever. I think we were docked there overnight.

Next day was Cologne. We walked right off ship and were met by our tour guides. We toured Old town and the wonderful Gothic cathedral there. We spent about 3 hours with a guide and then had all afternoon to do whatever we wanted. Some ate lunch locally- most went back to ship and had lunch and then went back into Cologne to try the beers and explore on their own. Plenty of museums and things to see and do.

The last day we went to Kinderdijk. We cruised in the morning. The ship taught us about cheeses and jenever a local liquor and we sampled all of them. We had lunch and then got to the windmills . It was really windy there and chilly. We went to see the windmills and toured one and then had time to look around and shop if we wanted. There were about 16 windmills at the site and because it was windy, we were able to see them operate really well.

We arrived in Amsterdam the next morning. We had opted to spend a day there on our own so we did not have an early flight to worry about. This ended up being a little bit inconvenient though because they had labeled luggage according to when you needed to disembark to catch your flight. We, obviously didn't have a flight to catch, so our luggage took a long time to get carried off. This was our fault....we should have told them we had a tour to catch at 10AM and they would have unloaded our luggage early enough for that. We stayed at the Movenpick which was within walking distance of the ship. The Amsterdam Centraal is very close to the ship too, but it is really big and you should allow time to figure out from which track you are leaving and where you purchase your ticket. I would have Viking arrange a taxi to take me from the ship to the train station....You will be glad you did. They will make sure you are off the ship in plenty of time and the taxi driver can show you the exact door you need to use to get into the main part of the train station. It is BIG and trust me.....take a cab....it will be a lot easier!

As far as boarding the ship at the beginning of the cruise, we had to check out of our hotel at 11 and we boarded the ship within 15 minutes of that. They had lunch and drinks waited on us when we got there. Our room wasn't ready but we went on a little walking tour they had of Basel. We had already been there for three nights so we pretty much knew how to get around but still enjoyed the tour. Room was ready when we got back.

We spent a week in rome before we went to Basel for 3 days before the cruise. We did a day trip from Basel to Lucerne and LOVED IT! I have not been to Geneva so can't say anything about it. If you are doing another cruise after the river cruise, you are going to be VERY busy and you may want to keep things simple. We stayed at the Hotel Schweizerhhof in Basel and loved it. It was right by the train station and there was a free bus from the airport to the train station. So easy and FREE. The tram system is free if you are staying in a hotel in Basel. We used it all over the town. We took a tour of the city through the tourism office. It was worthwhile and maybe only 10 Euros a person.

River cruises appear to be a little bit more expensive than ocean cruises however, the include almost everything. There were only 2 optional tours during our 8 days and the days were plenty full without them. The wine and beer and soft drinks at lunch and dinner are free and unlimited. Breakfast is very substantial. All the other meals were good. You are in for a real treat because you will be well taken care of. There will only be about two hundred people on your ship and you will become friends with lots of them. You will probably find yourselves visiting in the lounge before dinner almost every day. Drinks are reasonable and then it is off to the free wine!! We have only done two river cruises and both were with Viking and we enjoyed both of them very much. We have booked their first Ocean liner for 2015. I don't think we are easy to please and we really couldn't complain about much of anything.

If you are UNLUCKY enough to be doing a river cruise when the rivers are too low or too high for the boats to travel, you will be doing your cruise on a bus. Nobody likes that and I am sure it can ruin a cruise for you and the company. We have lucked out on both of our river cruises and were able to travel 100% by boat. If all goes well, expect to really enjoy your cruise.

As far as cabins go.....personally, I don't see any reason to pick anything any better than a French balcony. Whether you are on the top level or the mid level....really makes no difference. On the older ships like the Helveltia, even the lowest level cabins have nice size windows but those do not open.

Enjoy your trip(s).

Thanks huntersyaya for the very useful detail. You've done an excellent job explaining this experience. Although I'll look at river conditions late June, I'll assume this will be OK. You have been very, very helpful!

huntersyaya ~ thank you SO much for your in-depth review! I've read so many negative comments about the Black Forest tour that I really appreciated reading your thoughts!

I don't know what, if any, changes or adjustments are made for the Christmas Markets but the Black Forest is sounding much more inviting after reading your review!!

I just tell it like it is. We did the Danube in 2012 and the Rhine in 2013 and when it is all said and done, most of the smaller places where you stop all look the same. Cobblestone streets, a beautiful church or two, usually some type of city wall/fortress, an open-air market, some quaint restaurants/bars, and some quaint hotels. I found the Black Forest to be a welcomed change and NOBODY forced or encouraged us to buy kookoo clocks, blown glass, or even Black Forest Cake. We bought a piece of cake just to try it and it was wonderful! We found the scenery to be really beautiful in the countryside and as I say, it was a welcomed relief. I am not complaining about the stops being similar....to me the river cruises are such "easy" trips....somebody else is taking care of all the details and it is a great way to spend a week vacationing. Hope you enjoy your upcoming trips!!!

hunterstaya ... can you tell me more about the free coach from the airport to Basil train station ... where does it gather? is it marked well in the airport? how long is the drive? That sounds like a great idea to save a little money ...I think I heard they wanted 30-40 francs for a taxi. How much was the taxi from the hotel to the ship?

rdhnd

Edited by rdhnd

The bus is free if you have a hotel reservation...all trams are free, too. We stayed at the hotel Schweizerhof which was right by the train/tram station. The bus went directly from the airport to the area in front of the train station which was right in front of our hotel. We also walked right out of our hotel and caught the tram to the closest stop to the boat dock to catch our ship. We went around 10am Sunday morning so the tram was not crowded and it was easy to get on and off with our luggage. We did a test run without luggage and had no problems. I would say we walked about .5 mile to the ship. If it had been raining we would have taken a taxi. By the way, the train station was big and it had lots of places to buy sandwiches, pastries, etc. we would grab quick meals there but we also enjoyed some of the local restaurants in Basel...especially the old town area.

The airport bus was very nice...not a run down thing at all. There was plenty of room for luggage.

Hello! You mentioned 2 optional tours available on your cruise. Do you remember what those optional tours were? We will be on the same cruise in the opposite direction in September. Appreciated your excellent information. Thanks!