RCCL -One huge let down

I just want to point out that there is a HUGE difference between disagreeing with someone and insulting them. I disagree with just about every point made by the OP, but I don't feel that I insulted them in any way.

To me, the original post sounds like the complaints of a person that has limited knowledge of travel and/or cruising, and was therefore surprised by a few things that many of us experience every day.

Interesting clip art. You aren't a relative of the OP, are you? LOL

Not at all.... Just funny how some folks put a blanket complaint or statement out there and the defenders come out like bees to honey. Then the OP doesn't show up again. It happens time and time again. You would think that gaslighting is easily identified.

Or maybe the defenders are RC hired help. LOL LOL LOL :rolleyes:

Just amusing is all! :)

Not at all.... Just funny how some folks put a blanket complaint or statement out there and the defenders come out like bees to honey. Then the OP doesn't show up again. It happens time and time again. You would think that gaslighting is easily identified.

Or maybe the defenders are RC hired help. LOL LOL LOL :rolleyes:

Just amusing is all! :)

Yep. Amusing for sure. :rolleyes:

Hard to believe there were no porters around to help you. Did you try to get help from someone at the port? What time did you get there? The porters don't work for RCCL so boycotting RCCL will not solve your problem.

In reply to all , we are very tolerant and easy travelers, we used the ships transfer and we felt no matter what time we arrived (6 PM) they should have made arrangements for the luggage. It is unheard of to carry your luggage all the way to your cabin. As for departure , we were not the first group scheduled to get off. RCCL knew of my flight schedule and really should have planned to get us all off earlier. I realize that the porters do not work for the ship lines but when flying to a long distant destination the cruise line should realize that arrivals will be stretched out , after all they had all info because of transfers.

We were not the only couple upon arrival. So in truth , who should be held accountable

HJGold58, thanks for coming back. So sorry the beginning and end did not go as planned. So, how was the middle?

As an experienced cruiser, I'm surprised you did not look around when you arrived at the port to see what other passengers were doing with their luggage. When in a new place I tend to see what the norm is. Even if the porters do not work for Royal, there is usually someone around to help guide lost souls.

As an experienced cruiser, you should know that you were on a tight schedule and plan accordingly by taking a cab. Unless you were using Choice Air I don't see the cruise line's responsibility to get you to the airport in a timely manner. Usually, the cruise line will post recommended times for departure flights from most ports.

You are also a long time, though less than active posting, member of the boards and you could have made use of the experiences of other cruisers when making your plans for your cruise. Now that you have reminded yourself of your membership, I hope the experiences of others will make future cruises more enjoyable and less stressful.

Let us know how the rest of your cruise was any better than the beginning.

In reply to all , we are very tolerant and easy travelers, we used the ships transfer and we felt no matter what time we arrived (6 PM) they should have made arrangements for the luggage. It is unheard of to carry your luggage all the way to your cabin. As for departure , we were not the first group scheduled to get off. RCCL knew of my flight schedule and really should have planned to get us all off earlier. I realize that the porters do not work for the ship lines but when flying to a long distant destination the cruise line should realize that arrivals will be stretched out , after all they had all info because of transfers.

We were not the only couple upon arrival. So in truth , who should be held accountable

WRT to luggage: I simply do not believe that is what happened. every port we have ever been to they take the checked luggage AWAY and toss it in with the rest you COULD NOT have gotten full size pieces through the scanners.. which means everything was carry on size. if that was the case, then it was YOUR responsibility to make it known you wanted to check them.

WRT to departure; again YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to make the change if you were given a group that did not work, you should have marched yourself down to GS and requested an earlier time. YOU WOULD HAVE GOTTEN IT.

bottom line, you should never have laid the ENTIRE burden on Royal. at least half of the responsibility is YOURS.

OP - For many people here, the cruise line is never accountable when something goes wrong or is not perfect. Their resopose is to defend the cruise line and blame the poster. That's how they run up their large post counts. They're either blind or stockholders.

I have never taken a ship's transfer and not had tagged luggage transferred directly to the cabin. During pre 9-11 days, it was transferred directly from the airplane to the cabin in some ports. Today, you claim your luggage, but it is still transferred from the bus to cabin. Royal screwed up here, but some will never admit it.

We arrived at the Port of Honolulu also around 6:30 for our April 2012 cruise if I recall correctly. The signage wasn't very clear about where to drop the bags, but we asked someone, and they pointed us to the very far left of the terminal. We dropped off our bags there and saw them later that evening.

I'm not sure if that's the "late drop off" area or perhaps it was special to our cruise, but there were definitely porters available - just not right as you get to the port.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

you are probably correct in what you are saying . but when using air miles on a very long flight(7 hours ) they don't give you much of a choice in selecting a flight. As for not posting, I generally look for advice when cruising which is always helpful.But in this particular case I was disturbed at the method it was handled. But in fact the cruise lines should be aware of short comings so they can rectify any problems. After all we all pay good money to go on vacation. By the way the cruise was wonderful

On my Hawaii cruise our late arrival had 2 guards at the front who check our ID and boarding pass and told us to continue to the escalator.

The screening area could Xray our bags.

I have taken many cruises and always someone there to take baggage, in this situation no instructions or porters around. Royal Caribbean agrees that this is an unacceptable situation and will look into it and make adjustments That's all a person can ask for.

you are probably correct in what you are saying . but when using air miles on a very long flight(7 hours ) they don't give you much of a choice in selecting a flight. As for not posting, I generally look for advice when cruising which is always helpful.But in this particular case I was disturbed at the method it was handled. But in fact the cruise lines should be aware of short comings so they can rectify any problems. After all we all pay good money to go on vacation. By the way the cruise was wonderful

I am glad it was a good cruise.

Upon arrival did you ask for porters/assistance with luggage? Or did you visually scan the area, not see them and chose to handle it yourself? I tend to pack lightly, so I might do the later myself if I arrived after six pm after a long flight. Having my luggage in my room immediately so I could freshen up after a long trip would be worth to bother of wheeling myself. If many people feel that way, fewer porters might be employed.

When I saw cruise transfers for sale, I recall seeing earliest flight times for that transfer posted, too. Did you check that? As you were using air miles, I imagine you had fewer flight choices and needed (or wanted) the early one. Hey, I've done that, too, but if I select an early time, I make certain I get off the ship ASAP (often self disembarking with my bags) and grab a taxi (even if a shuttle or transfer is cheaper).

Since you did cruise line transferrs, I don't understand why they didn't have porters to meet your incoming bus to the port. That is somebody's failure, and there should have been an RCI agent there to meet your bus, and tell you what to do with the luggage. I haven't used cruise line transfers in a very long time, but that was the way they used to do it.

Someone let you down, on that part of your trip, but you should consider the whole cruise experience, before stating that is a reason to never sail with RCI again. Of course you can make that choice if you choose to, but you will always get the feedback that you got, when saying it on this board. That goes for any negative against the whole cruise line, on the board for that cruise line.

Thank you. I see one of the reasons I dont participate in these discussions are the nasty people that respond. I was just try to inform what happened to me because I was so ticked off at a unnecessary situation that had happened. Royal Caribbean did contact me and has promised to review their procedures , satisfies me

Archived