Teen Drinking and Carnival - Not For everyone

Blk_Amish

I do appreciate OP's original posting, and I feel badly that the discussion has devolved into some unnecessary rancor. O.P.'s post was an eye-opener to me and probably to many parents regarding what could befall even the most "trusted" young people on a cruise, at least regarding alcohol. (And, of course, other posters added to the story with details of other potential pitfalls for youth on a cruise ship.)

How about this? If parents think (or even fear) that their children/offspring (of any age!) are not to be trusted or might be tempted beyond themselves on a cruise, why not simply not take them cruising? If you want a family vacation, choose one in which it would be easier to supervise the youth.

It seems to be very American (at least) to think that children/teens should be included in all the activities and situations their parents enjoy.

When our children were little (toddlers, e.g.) we would not take them to sit-down restaurants where we would have to stress over supervising their behavior or risk offending other diners. We felt it was inappropriate to expect that much "adult" behavior of our five young boys. Instead, we would take them to a fast food joint with a play area, or we would picnic in the park! As they matured, we expected more mature behavior of them, and instructed them in our age-appropriate expectations. Now that they are more mature, we take them to nice restaurants and many other other "grown-up" venues because they have learned how to behave.

But I have already told my 5 sons that I will not take them on a cruise with me. They are young. They are males. They are dare-devils, and fearless (always have been), and they are competitive and constantly egg each other on. I do not trust that they would behave in a manner I consider appropriate on board (but not due to alcohol, I think...:confused:) Rather, I fear they would be climbing the walls (literally) :mad: and using the railings as balance beams. :eek: While it may be true that other people's children will behave impeccably on their cruise (or perhaps not), if I think mine won't behave, I will not take them!

So when they have matured enough to prove to me that their behavior will allow all of us to enjoy a stress-free and safe vacation, I will consider cruising with them. Meanwhile, when we vacation as a family, we make other, more supervisable and less temptation-filled, choices.

It's that simple.

It is not appropriate for parents to lead their children/teens/offspring-of-any-age (or anyone else, either) into temptation, though the young people may want to be led there! And only a parent can (and should) determine whether a cruise is appropriate for his/her own offspring, based on their maturity level, trustworthiness, etc. We all have to use our best judgment.

Thank you. I knew this was not going to go well after I was called a liar. It was a question of how much worse it would get.

My kids are well traveled with five cruises on three different lines, countless times to Caribbean and Mexico plus recently a month in Europe. Each trip and destination present new opportunity and challenge. I found something out and I shared it, while a few judged it and called me names.

My son is leaving for college and yes I am scared. Maybe as some suggest I did not do a good job. It would be cheaper and safer to keep him home but I have faith and a shot of Tequila, need be.

I believe this is also a viable option. I give mine chances. Believe me, if I have any trouble from them on their upcoming cruise, it will be their last.

I do appreciate OP's original posting, and I feel badly that the discussion has devolved into some unnecessary rancor. O.P.'s post was an eye-opener to me and probably to many parents regarding what could befall even the most "trusted" young people on a cruise, at least regarding alcohol. (And, of course, other posters added to the story with details of other potential pitfalls for youth on a cruise ship.)

How about this? If parents think (or even fear) that their children/offspring (of any age!) are not to be trusted or might be tempted beyond themselves on a cruise, why not simply not take them cruising? If you want a family vacation, choose one in which it would be easier to supervise the youth.

It seems to be very American (at least) to think that children/teens should be included in all the activities and situations their parents enjoy.

I

When our children were little (toddlers, e.g.) we would not take them to sit-down restaurants where we would have to stress over supervising their behavior or risk offending other diners. We felt it was inappropriate to expect that much "adult" behavior of our five young boys. Instead, we would take them to a fast food joint with a play area, or we would picnic in the park! As they matured, we expected more mature behavior of them, and instructed them in our age-appropriate expectations. Now that they are more mature, we take them to nice restaurants and many other other "grown-up" venues because they have learned how to behave.

But I have already told my 5 sons that I will not take them on a cruise with me. They are young. They are males. They are dare-devils, and fearless (always have been), and they are competitive and constantly egg each other on. I do not trust that they would behave in a manner I consider appropriate on board (but not due to alcohol, I think...:confused:) Rather, I fear they would be climbing the walls (literally) :mad: and using the railings as balance beams. :eek: While it may be true that other people's children will behave impeccably on their cruise (or perhaps not), if I think mine won't behave, I will not take them!

So when they have matured enough to prove to me that their behavior will allow all of us to enjoy a stress-free and safe vacation, I will consider cruising with them. Meanwhile, when we vacation as a family, we make other, more supervisable and less temptation-filled, choices.

It's that simple.

It is not appropriate for parents to lead their children/teens/offspring-of-any-age (or anyone else, either) into temptation, though the young people may want to be led there! And only a parent can (and should) determine whether a cruise is appropriate for his/her own offspring, based on their maturity level, trustworthiness, etc. We all have to use our best judgment.

So help me out here. are you going to be checking the luggage of every child or is it only yours? Maybe your answer will be not to let your son make friends, ever. because if a friend has it and your son wants it, he will get it no matter what you do.

Where did you get the idea MOST towns have a curfew? I don't know of any that do.

One more thing. Since your talk with your son you discovered eye opening ways teens are smuggling, but I notice you have not cared to share them. That seems odd to me.

I have seen drunk teens onboard. I saw them on my last cruise both before and after midnight. After two night of 2am pizza, I decided to skip it after what I had to endure waiting for it. How many times can you hear living on a prayer sung at the top of their lungs of off keyed drunk teens. I just ordered room service.

Lastly, I don't think it is the teens that are smuggling that is the problem. I think they are getting it from mom and dad's stash or getting it in port. But how ever they are doing it, they are definately doing it.

Well, just my kids luggage. Please google teen curfew but my town has one, email me for the name if you don't believe. Did you want me to write down the details of how the kids smuggled, from listerine bottle to piggy bank containers. Maybe you are right about how they got alcohol. I was simply stating information from a teenager.

I drank all my Tequila in Mexico so I know they did not get any from me. This cruise was a month after Hawaii so I couldn't afford much of the watered drinks on board. We agree they are definitely doing it.

Sorry I wasted my time. My only issue and concern should have been with only my child but that's not me. For now lesson learned.

On the NCL Epic cruise my family went on this past Nov., I saw one kid about 20 or so with a can of beer (during the white hot party on the pool deck).

When we sailed NCL, once we were international waters 18-20 could drink wine and beer if have parents have consent.

To me, that's already too late.

How old will they be before that would be stopped? They see you do that and stop them, they will one up you next time. They will be using rum runners against their own parents!

Just because I had a bottle in my possession at any age, didn't signal to me that I had to finish it. AT ANY AGE.

But I've also never taught my kids they have to hide anything from me. If they have to, they know they are already wrong.

I have always told my kids they can talk to me about anything. I am always there for them. They cannot shock me. As they have gotten older (they are 26 and 24 now) I have told them little bits about my wild and crazy younger days. Not to brag but to warn. :) They know I am no Ossie Nelson, but not quite Ozzy Osborne *LOL*

They know I will listen, talk it through and unless it is something so vile and illegal (thank God it never has been ) I am not their Grandmother , I will not scream" OY VEY my child is dead to me ", and sit Shiva for them in effigy.

And they have told me quite a bit. Sometimes wayyyyyyyyyyy too much information. but I was sure glad they came to me for advice or to vent than one of their dopey friends .

Just because RCI has a curfew doesn't mean it's right. It's only right if you agree with it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Agreed, it would be right, better choice and money well spent for someone who doesn't want to see young unsupervised kids at wee hours in the morning. Absolutely, no fun.

Who knew? I thought the curfew was to protect me and the cruise line from brats running rampant on the ship stealing 'Do Not Disturb' cards, banging on cabin doors, and throwing furniture off the ship but I can see where it would be useful to protect unsuspecting youth from other cruisers and employees with bad intentions. And just for the record, I'm absolutely not talking about any kids of anyone participating in this thread. :rolleyes:

Who knew? I thought the curfew was to protect me and the cruise line from brats running rampant on the ship stealing 'Do Not Disturb' cards, banging on cabin doors, and throwing furniture off the ship but I can see where it would be useful to protect unsuspecting youth from other cruisers and employees with bad intentions. And just for the record, I'm absolutely not talking about any kids of anyone participating in this thread. :rolleyes:

Curfew, the possibilities are endless :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

If your the village idiot maybe then it will take a village to raise your child. For the rest of us responsible adults it takes a Father and Mother to raise a child.

If you can't feed em don't breed em! Same goes if you can't raise them.

Come on, other than to hatin' on the Amish, is there anyone who truly believe mandatory having kids butts in bed and off the decks for paying adults to enjoy wouldn't benefit most cruisers. Imagine getting pizza after the disco without waiting. No waiting for the elevators when you are dwag tired. No one chatter in the hallways right after you fall asleep.

Curfew could bring cruising back the way it used to be.

G

If your the village idiot maybe then it will take a village to raise your child. For the rest of us responsible adults it takes a Father and Mother to raise a child.

If you can't feed em don't breed em! Same goes if you can't raise them.

Village idiot or not, I have 2 kids married 20 years. No need to get anymore mean spirited than necessary. With the divorce rate there are villages with kids with one parent missing. I can only imagine you though I was one of them or worse.

Who's hating on the Amish?

I mostly cruise without kids. It's not a company or a villages job to set boundaries for others children, that's the job of the parent. I also have no problem standing in line with a well behaved person under 21 to get a pizza. It's vacation, not prison. If your kids is too young to be out late then you give them a curfew.

Who's hating on the Amish?

I mostly cruise without kids. It's not a company or a villages job to set boundaries for others children, that's the job of the parent. I also have no problem standing in line with a well behaved person under 21 to get a pizza. It's vacation, not prison. If your kids is too young to be out late then you give them a curfew.

I don't care to see to see a 12 year old unsupervised at midnight or later. My kids are now, 18 and 15,still my younger would have a curfew but not all would.

Well then I should add a responsible mother or father to that statement as well because there are a great many single parents that do an amazing job.

My problem is with the person who thinks the village will raise their child while they avoid responsibility.

Why put curfew issues on Carnival. Your the parent. Take charge and be the parent and set curfew on your own child... Too many parents sluff off parenting duties. Curfew is one that is a parents responsibility not a corporation.

Well said! My kids are my responsibility, Not CCL and all the other passengers.

Follow me on Twitter: @SarahELewis38

Well then I should add a responsible mother or father to that statement as well because there are a great many single parents that do an amazing job.

My problem is with the person who thinks the village will raise their child while they avoid responsibility.

I think a lot are responding without trying to understand the intent of my post. If you didn't please take a second and read my original post. I mentioned curfew for young children but mine was graduating from high school and heading to college. I was not seeking a curfew for mine or that I wasn't capable.

Ive read your many post. When you start talking Carnival curfews and it takes a village to raise a child it just makes it sound like you need someone to step in and handle things for you.

Then your all over the board on your curfew stance. One minute you wrote a letter to Carnival requesting a curfew, then you regret doing so and now you think a curfew would be great so you don't have to wait in line for a pizza or an elevator.

How will a curfew stop the drinking in the cabins that you say is where the teenage drinking is occuring? Won't locking them in a cabin with alcohol just encourage more drinking and maybe lead to alcohol poisoning?

Maybe you should go back and read what you post so you better figure out what point your trying to make. The only consist statement you have made is about your village curfew and how it takes a village. That whole village bit just rubs me wrong.

Here is from I think from the poster who called me a liar to the one who in all cruising joy and spirit posted, ' if you can't feed em don't breed em.'

There goes another welfare madda (based on my name) who wants someone to take care of her child. I posted that I would like a curfew for younger kids, my kids are OLDER, so clearly I don't need it for mine. I posted about a village to raise a child because I am from a family of social workers who have seen first hand what happens to kids who are left unsupervised. My son is going to college but I am expecting to pay every penny of his tuition, FASA. I am married for 20 years. Now that it is clear that the curfew in not about my kids, my inability to take care of the 2 that I have or my expectation for others to raise them, please stop posting about YOUR responsibility. I am not a welfare madda and please don't waste your time saying that was not reason for some of the post about taking care of YOUR responsibility. My kid on this cruise is 18 'legally' and adult.

Further discussion about this cruise, while my son said he enjoyed it, he thought it might not be good for his sister. Other than being bothered by YOUNG kids (ages 10, 12) out and about, the kids werr no trouble. The village is saying lets look out for these unsupervised kids.

Ive read your many post. When you start talking Carnival curfews and it takes a village to raise a child it just makes it sound like you need someone to step in and handle things for you.

Then your all over the board on your curfew stance. One minute you wrote a letter to Carnival requesting a curfew, then you regret doing so and now you think a curfew would be great so you don't have to wait in line for a pizza or an elevator.

How will a curfew stop the drinking in the cabins that you say is where the teenage drinking is occuring? Won't locking them in a cabin with alcohol just encourage more drinking and maybe lead to alcohol poisoning?

Maybe you should go back and read what you post so you better figure out what point your trying to make. The only consist statement you have made is about your village curfew and how it takes a village. That whole village bit just rubs me wrong

Yeah, I figure with your 'can't feed dem don't breed em", really?. How many are affected that can't feed em, especially during the summer when school is out and parents or parent out of jobs.

The curfew is from dealing directly with abused kids, so seeing young kids unsupervised late at night rubbed be scared.. I said I would like a curfew especially for YOUNGER children, mine aren't. You chose to respond to the curfew with you delightful 'can't feed, don't breed", nice! make no mistake something rubbed you oh so wrong. I get it but mine are good, not younger and well supervised, thank GOD.

I guess I just don't understand why Carnival would need to institute a curfew for any kids, no matter the age. It's not that hard to give your own kids a curfew. Furthermore, just because I want my kid back in the cabin by 10, doesn't mean everyone's kids should be.

I guess I just don't understand why Carnival would need to institute a curfew for any kids, no matter the age. It's not that hard to give your own kids a curfew. Furthermore, just because I want my kid back in the cabin by 10, doesn't mean everyone's kids should be.

If they are supervised, stay out as long as necessary. Again this is from seeing 10 and 12 years old out as late as 1 am. It's not safe for many reasons.

RCL has a curfew with far less unsupervised kids in the wee hours of the morning, as witnessed on my last cruise with them. I am talking about YOUNG children!

Most resorts and other lines have this simple fix in place to get young kids butts in bed. So I now ASSuME Carnival cares less???

Curfew, let agree to disagree! Go to Royal Caribbean if this is important!

If they are supervised, stay out as long as necessary. Again this is from seeing 10 and 12 years old out as late as 1 am. It's not safe for many reasons.

I know it isn't safe, but if someone says their kid can be out that late, that is the parents choice. Stupid of the parents sure, but I don't think carnival should start parenting for them. My 12 year old is more responsible than my 17 year old.

The thing is what age limit do they put the curfew ? You might think 10, someone else might think 11, another might say 12, the next one says 20. Then you have parents who don't care if their kids stay out all night, and will say they paid for their kids to go on vacation and don't want Carnival to tell them when their kids have to be back in the room. And if Carnival sets the curfew, who polices it ? Does Carnival need to hire more crew members to police the curfew ?

I know it isn't safe, but if someone says their kid can be out that late, that is the parents choice. Stupid of the parents sure, but I don't think carnival should start parenting for them. My 12 year old is more responsible than my 17 year old.

LOL, I hear you on that one. Stupid of the parent, dangerous for the child.

Without knowing your child, one might choose to prey less on your 17 year old.

If there is one and you don't like it, book elsewhere.

My town has a curfew of 11 pm for kids, some resorts midnight, others 1 am

Carnival is the only placed I have booked without a stated curfew for kids.

I am glad, agree or disagree, the curfew topic has taken center stage. We are talking not so much parenting but kids safety and possible less passenger annoyance.

If there is none, mabye we ALL can give that unsupervised child a second glance for safety sake, maybe walk one back to their cabin late at might, I did. village mentality:D

Not all kids are rude and obnoxious, and then others are complete heathens. I was sitting on the deck with a bucket of beer smoking a cigarette when a 15 year old came up to me and said, excuse me sir, can I have a cigarette please, and could you please spare a beer ? I thought OMG, I can't believe what I'm hearing, are you serious, how can a 15 year old be that polite ? ;)

Archived