Hurtigruten Hotels in Bergen

BORDER REIVER

We're going to book a winter Bergen - Kirenes - Bergen cruise (with flights) and reckon we'll need to spend a night in Bergen on our return there. If we book through Hurtigruten, do they organise and favour any particular hotels and do they arrange transfers between ship and hotel and airport. This isn't a "package" as we wish to fly from a regional airport, but we will be booking everything through Hurtigruten's agents.

I'll be grateful for any information you can give.

We did this same trip last year and made our hotel reservations on our own. We came from Oslo by train the day before we left on the Hurtigruten, and stayed the night at the Scandic Strand Hotel across the street from the fish market. It was a perfect location for us since we wanted to be close to the historic area. We were probably ten blocks or so from the Hurtigruten wharf, and actually walked there, even with our roller bags. There is a Scandic a bit closer to the Hurtigruten wharf, but then blocks from the historic wharf area. I'm sure others have stayed in different hotels - all of them in the area looked nice.

If you don't want to walk to the Hurtigruten wharf, there are plenty of cabs available. We dropped off our bags in the late morning, went sightseeing, and then boarded the Hurtigruten late afternoon.

It was a fabulous trip, and one I'd do again in a heart beat.

Hurtigruten has a range of hotels in Bergen they work with. If you have a particular hotel in mind maybe mention it beforehand, otherwise they are all top-quality hotels in the town center. As RSF Cruiser said it is not a long walk from the cruise terminal to any of those hotels, but Hurtigruten does offer a shuttle from the terminal to the hotels.

There used to be a Hurtigruten bus to the airport but I don't know if they still do it (and if so, what the schedule is). We arranged for our own taxi when we stayed in Bergen.

Edited by SarniaLo

Thanks both for your replies.

The outward journey works out fine, with our flight landing 4.30pm & I've been told this definitely includes transfer to the ship.

Coming back the ship arrives too late for us to catch a flight that day (Bergen - Amsterdam - Newcastle), so we were wondering if it would be best to stay at a hotel in Bergen or a hotel at the airport. The flight next day is at 13.05.

Seeing Bergen isn't all that important as we've just come back from there 3 weeks ago and spent a day there 3 years ago (both were on cruises).

Our thoughts were wandering around the "flights and transfers included" deal when we asked if Hurtigruten would arrange for transfer from a city hotel to the airport the next day.

I think we should probably discuss this some more with the agents.

Edited by BORDER REIVER

With a 13.05 flight you have plenty of time to go to the airport in the morning, so since you are not in a hurry I feel it would be so much more pleasant to stay in Bergen for the night than to spend so much time at the airport.

I have looked at the 2013 catalog and they describe a "departure package" which includes transfer to the hotel, one hotel night and transfer to the airport. Discussing with the agent seems the best solution, but I'm pretty sure it can be done.

Having previously done Bergen - Tromso we're completing the round trip by doing Tromso - Kirkenes - Bergen in September and have booked flights and hotels ourselves. As usual, there's a significant saving on what Hurtigruten want. More than enough to pay for transfers and an extra hotel night on the way out.

With a 13.05 flight you have plenty of time to go to the airport in the morning, so since you are not in a hurry I feel it would be so much more pleasant to stay in Bergen for the night than to spend so much time at the airport.

I have looked at the 2013 catalog and they describe a "departure package" which includes transfer to the hotel, one hotel night and transfer to the airport. Discussing with the agent seems the best solution, but I'm pretty sure it can be done.

Thanks again for your advice, we're going to finalise details with our TA this week. They were at a Hurtigruten presentation we attended and always seem to be able to quote a lower price than Hurtigruten themselves.

So much looking forward to this, it's something both of us have wanted to do for some time, even though we've just returned from a 2 week cruise to Norway in fabulous weather (28c in Trondheim and 22c in Honningsvag). There's still the big ones of Antarctica and Spitzbergen to do, but it will happen before too long. Yours and other peoples Antarctica advice have been a huge help in our long term planning.

Having previously done Bergen - Tromso we're completing the round trip by doing Tromso - Kirkenes - Bergen in September and have booked flights and hotels ourselves. As usual, there's a significant saving on what Hurtigruten want. More than enough to pay for transfers and an extra hotel night on the way out.

Thanks for the input.

We appreciate there's money to be saved, but as we're not seasoned travellers we don't have the confidence to book everything ourselves. Our TA can undercut Hurtigruten's prices and we will be looked after by Hurtigruten all the way from arriving in Norway to leaving. At present that'll be OK, but after a few adventures we'll be able to do more for ourselves.

• 1 year later...

I've stayed twice at the Bergen Thon Hotel Bristol and was very happy with it. I chose this particular hotel because it is halfway between the train station and the Hurtigruten terminal and I could walk from the train station to the hotel and from the hotel to the terminal without problems (10-15 minutes for each). Prices are decent if you book in advance on their website.

Comfort is fine and staff is nice and helpful. It is located in the town center not far from the fish market and Bryggen. I had both times (without asking) a room on the back of the hotel so not sure what the noise situation is if you have a room on the street.

Breakfast is awesome, one of the best I ever had in a hotel (buffet-style, but so much choice).

If/when I need to spend a night in Bergen again before or after a Hurtigruten trip I will choose the same hotel.

I know this is an old thread, but just wondering which hotel you stayed at and if you liked it. I can't make up my mind. Thanks

We stayed at the Radisson Blu Royal Hotel. Very comfortable with an excellent breakfast and in an equally excellent location.

thanks digitl and sarnia. I like the location of the Thon Bristol better, though my guess is the Radisson is probably more attractive. I cant get any rates for the Bristol for some reason, even though Thon has rates for all their other hotels in Bergen. Could it be closing or being sold off? I have a reservation for the Det Hanseatiske, but its very pricey so I may cancel if I can find something more reasonable. Also Im thinking the Thon and Radisson might be better suited for my age group (60+). I really like the location of Radisson Norge, but the reviews are not very complementary...

I cant get any rates for the Bristol for some reason, even though Thon has rates for all their other hotels in Bergen.

I have tried to look on the website for a room on March 13th 2016 (is that your date?) for one room/one person and on the website all their rooms for that date are...9999 NOK, which is just ridiculous. My guess is some computer issue. Either try again later, you are not in a hurry, or email the hotel directly to enquire, although you will get the best rate through internet booking (well, obviously not right now, but a technical problem seems the best bet).

There is an airport bus stop five minutes down the road, but not right in front.

I found a rate for February for the Bristol, $318 for a single... But even that didn't sound right, compared to the other Thon hotels... Less than half of that! I'll just wait, no rush. I would really like to stay at the Clarion #13, if I had my choice, but they are just too high.

We stayed after our cruise at the Comfort Holberg. We might have walked from the wharf but it was raining and our Program Director said there was a hill to climb over, so we took the Hurtigruten transfer for about $14 each... a bit pricy but we were happy with it.

Our room at the Holberg was $112/night for a double, including a good breakfast (that was late October). In the morning, after breakfast we walked about 3 blocks to the airport bus stop at the Fish Market. The bus to the airport took longer than we thought it would and I wish we had taken the bus before but it all worked ok and we didn't miss our flight. I think they suggested the trip to the airport was 45 minutes and it was 30 minutes longer picking people up at many stops before the 45 minute segment began. The airport bus payment of 90NOK pp was made to the driver in NOK (exact change not necessary, they'll make change), credit card, debit card or could be pre-paid and shown on your smart phone. We went to find the bus stop the night before so we'd know where we were going; the stop is close to in front of the Subway sandwich store; there is a sign at the street curb with a schedule posted on it.... so very easy to do! The driver took care of our luggage easily stowing it underneath for us.

I found a rate for February for the Bristol, $318 for a single... But even that didn't sound right, compared to the other Thon hotels...

No, that doesn't sound right. I paid about 900NOK ($110) in February this year.

From the reviews on trip advisor, other than the clarions, all the hotels sound like they are okay... But not great. Most complaints are they need updating and are noisy. Beginning to this it doesn't make much difference which one you choose. There is a new clarion that sounds really nice, but at 300 a night, it's not worth it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, rates available for Thon Bristol Bergen. I had to email them several times to explain because it's a leap year, they neglected to program in Feb 29. If I prepay my rate is 896 NOK....about 114 for a single queen room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk