Possibility of discount or OBC??

akowilm

What began as a getaway on the Connie next spring for DH and I has turned into a party! We have a total of 13 ppl now, in 8 different cabins; 3 AQ on that 1100 aft row, 3 C1 aft Deck nine, and 2 standard balcony cabins. One couple has sailed before(that's how we met) the rest are new to cruising or at least new to X. What do you think the chances are, (we've linked our reservations together) that since we now have 8 cabins booked, they would offer us an OBC or reduced rate at final pay?? DH and I are Select Captain's Club members. What would be my best move to make this happen?

By the way, its amazing what your friends will do when you mention 'free drinks', lol!!!

Everyone booked directly through X website except me, I booked last January through my TA. I have spoken to the X reps to link our reservations together and that was no problem. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask???

Everyone booked directly through X website except me, I booked last January through my TA. I have spoken to the X reps to link our reservations together and that was no problem. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask???

You might consider asking your TA what kind of OBC she would offer if you moved all the bookings to her. (assuming your friends are willing and assuming that you received an OBC from your TA). Perhaps in the $200 per cabin range. This should be in addition to whatever Celebrity would offer.

In order to get the tour credit (ie the 8 cabin kickback), all bookings must be part of an actual group in the booking engine, linking the reservations wont do you anything. You'd need everyone to be in that group. Whether or not you can do that at this point depends on when the people booked. If you booked with X you have 60 days to transfer the booking to a TA. That TA could pull them all into a group. The group might or might not be eligible for additional OBC depending on when the group was created in the system and what was offered at the time. ALso have to make sure groups are even available at this point because they do close out after they fill up, space wise.

All that said, it will also depend on the TA because they could decide to keep whatever portion of that tour credit they want (or all). It's not something I'd hope many would do, but, you never know.

To another poster who suggested 200 per cabin over whatever x might currently offer - that's pretty steep. I wouldn't bank on getting that much unless all cabin categories booked are higher ones. It really depends on the sailing, the prices, and the cabins booked, what anyone can give back. If the kick back for the 8th cabin is 800 dollars total, then there's no way a TA would give 200 to each cabin....

Presuming you're on the 4/5/14 sailing in your sig, the cabins for C1/AQ are going for max of like 800 per person right now, which only equates to less than 1400 back to the TA for distribution as they see fit. Just trying to set your expectations a little more realistic than the 200 listed on the thread.

In order to get the tour credit (ie the 8 cabin kickback), all bookings must be part of an actual group in the booking engine, linking the reservations wont do you anything. You'd need everyone to be in that group. Whether or not you can do that at this point depends on when the people booked. If you booked with X you have 60 days to transfer the booking to a TA. That TA could pull them all into a group. The group might or might not be eligible for additional OBC depending on when the group was created in the system and what was offered at the time. ALso have to make sure groups are even available at this point because they do close out after they fill up, space wise.

All that said, it will also depend on the TA because they could decide to keep whatever portion of that tour credit they want (or all). It's not something I'd hope many would do, but, you never know.

To another poster who suggested 200 per cabin over whatever x might currently offer - that's pretty steep. I wouldn't bank on getting that much unless all cabin categories booked are higher ones. It really depends on the sailing, the prices, and the cabins booked, what anyone can give back. If the kick back for the 8th cabin is 800 dollars total, then there's no way a TA would give 200 to each cabin....

Both good points. Perhaps closer to 5% of the cruise cost.

Thanks for the info; I called X today and because 1 of the 8 (mine) is booked through the TA, they will offer NOTHING. I will the X rep that I had spoken to several weeks ago to book my neighbor's cabin had told me that..... Thanks, Celebrity. I am glad I convinced 11 other ppl to spend their vacation time on your ship. They will enjoy, we always have, but I really thought that since we have been on 4 cruises in 3 years in CC or better, we would have mattered a little???? Oh well, we WILL have a good time with our 13 free beverage packages, lol!!!!:D

You might consider asking your TA what kind of OBC she would offer if you moved all the bookings to her. (assuming your friends are willing and assuming that you received an OBC from your TA). Perhaps in the $200 per cabin range. This should be in addition to whatever Celebrity would offer.

Good advise. A good travel agent can do more for you than the cruise line.

Thanks for the info; I called X today and because 1 of the 8 (mine) is booked through the TA, they will offer NOTHING. I will the X rep that I had spoken to several weeks ago to book my neighbor's cabin had told me that..... Thanks, Celebrity. I am glad I convinced 11 other ppl to spend their vacation time on your ship. They will enjoy, we always have, but I really thought that since we have been on 4 cruises in 3 years in CC or better, we would have mattered a little???? Oh well, we WILL have a good time with our 13 free beverage packages, lol!!!!:D

Just curious, we did everyone but you book directly with Celebrity? Didn't your TA offer you any incentive to book with them? I assume they booked more than 60 days ago and now cannot transfer the booking to a TA.

I am not surprised that Celebrity would not combine TA booked cruises with Celebrity booked cruises to meet the group criteria especially months later.

Enjoy your cruise and drink packages.

As written in another thread about group bookings, it makes perfect sense that Celebrity would deny this -- otherwise, you might have eight random people who "meet" on a Cruise Critic Roll Call all suddenly decide they are a "group" and look for discounts, OBC's and other perks.

First you have to form a group, then all book within that group reservation number. It can't be done after everyone has booked that you try to say "we are a group"

I guess live and learn, and next time, if there's possibility of it becoming a group, book through a TA (or X but i'm partial to TAs) and if you make 8 cabins, great, and if not, that's fine. There's no harm in booking a "group" just in case.

That is what we should have done. We expected to only be 2 couples, but friends kept expressing interest, then booking! I assisted each one myself, calling Celebrity and booking each cabin, as most of these friends have NEVER cruised! I had booked during 123, and my friends and neighbors booked with the Pick your Perk, so at least we all have drink packages!

As has been noted you were not successful in backing into a group booking, but what you can do is monitor the cruise rates for price adjustments. This may, if available, save your friends more in the long run, and endear you to them forever!

Have a great cruise.

Archived