Which side of the ship to book to watch pier runners?

Yankees2012

Never heard of anyone planning their vacation around watching pier runners but if that floats your boat ( pun intended ) I am sure someone here can help you out :D

Yeah, I am not really into getting a kick out of someone else's misery. People make mistakes, and obviously the cruise line is not, and should not be responsible for the mistake, but that does not mean I should lose my compassion.

• Like 2

I have been to Cozumel a half dozen times but I have never seen any pier runners. I wonder how I missed this since I am always on deck when the ship sails. Luckily missing the ship is rare. I have been on this forum for years and have never read a first hand account of anyone who was left in port.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

4 trips to Cozumel, always with port side facing.

Never witnessed anyone being left behind.

2 people ran for the ship one time at the urging of crew members near the gangway. They pulled it up behind them.

What excitement that was! :rolleyes:

I will definitely book my next vacation around this possibility again.

If there are an even # of letters in the ships name, and they are docking on an odd day, Starboard. If the name is odd, and the date is even, Port.

Old cruise ship tradition.

"Ditto"

Pass the shaker of salt!!:eek::eek::):)

Save your pennies. Book an inside cabin and be the pier runner. I am certain someone would be willing to hold the camera for you. Staging the event will assure superior quality photos/video. Being the pier runner will bring the added benefit of experiencing it, not just watching it.

My answer is in jest. I assume your question is as well. If it is not... well, I really want you to be the pier runner. Anyone that enjoys that scene is sick. Yes... they get what they deserve. Personally, I don't enjoy watching train wrecks.

I have been to Cozumel a half dozen times but I have never seen any pier runners. I wonder how I missed this since I am always on deck when the ship sails. Luckily missing the ship is rare. I have been on this forum for years and have never read a first hand account of anyone who was left in port.

While we don't plan around this event....;) It does happen, often at the two ports below, which are "notorious" for pier runners.:confused: If we are on our balcony, or an open deck, when the ship's horn blows (sailing time has been reached)...we lean over the railing to see them running.....err.. being carried, or carted to the ship. Often a result of staying too long at the shot bars, at the port....you know the one(s) I am talking about...:)

Nassau

Cozumel

Edited by jwjax

• 2 years later...

On the Breeze's 2nd Mediterranean cruise the same couple was late at Marseilles, and both western Italy ports.  They missed the ship in Dubrovnik...the cruise director made the announcement during first seating and everyone cheered.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

It doesn't even have to be time to board to be interesting in Cozumel. I was walking behind someone one day who had obviously been to one of the local bars - she was wearing her balloon hat proudly, if not in a straight line. She staggered up the pier, then right OFF the pier. Splash... and away went that balloon hat. Now I know why they have those ladders along the pier.

• Like 4

On 7/1/2013 at 8:21 PM, rdemn said:

I don't know put Cozumel is the best port for runner!!!!

Nassau isn't bad either.  MY kids had a blast yelling at pier runners when we were on the Liberty in March.   

41 minutes ago, dmet0225 said:

I'd be willing to bet that pier runners are not limited to Carnival.  

And you would win.  This same topic has been discussed on Royal forums many times.

• Thanks 1

On 7/8/2019 at 11:11 AM, Jenn1974 said:

Nassau isn't bad either.  MY kids had a blast yelling at pier runners when we were on the Liberty in March.   

"Yelling" at them?

What have you taught your kids to yell at them?

On 7/8/2019 at 11:30 AM, Lerin said:

Threads like this are what gives Carnival a bad name. 

Yeah, this thread is doing horrible damage to Carnival’s otherwise pristine image.  Costa Concordia, Triumph fire and repeated pollution standards violations are nothing compared to this thread in terms of soiling the company image.   🙂

On 7/7/2019 at 6:59 PM, beachbum6264 said:

It doesn't even have to be time to board to be interesting in Cozumel. I was walking behind someone one day who had obviously been to one of the local bars - she was wearing her balloon hat proudly, if not in a straight line. She staggered up the pier, then right OFF the pier. Splash... and away went that balloon hat. Now I know why they have those ladders along the pier.

That probably sobered her up quickly!  I saw pier runners for the first time on my last cruise.  People on the ship were cheering them on.

53 minutes ago, ed01106 said:

Yeah, this thread is doing horrible damage to Carnival’s otherwise pristine image.  Costa Concordia, Triumph fire and repeated pollution standards violations are nothing compared to this thread in terms of soiling the company image.   🙂

Carnival is known as the Wal Mart of the Seas for a reason.

Sinking ships, people dying on excursions, grandparents throwing babies overboard...are all rare and unfortunate events on other lines.  Trashy customers and people who get kicks out of laughing at other's misfortunes tend to be prevalent on Carnival. 

I stand by my original statement: things such as the original post in this thread, are what keeps many customers away from Carnival. Trashy and classless. 

9 minutes ago, Lerin said:

Carnival is known as the Wal Mart of the Seas for a reason.

Sinking ships, people dying on excursions, grandparents throwing babies overboard...are all rare and unfortunate events on other lines.  Trashy customers and people who get kicks out of laughing at other's misfortunes tend to be prevalent on Carnival. 

I stand by my original statement: things such as the original post in this thread, are what keeps many customers away from Carnival. Trashy and classless. 

I love the party/casual/crazy fun/trashy aspect of Carnival. I like “Carnival people” (both the runners and those booing the runners) a lot more than “Cunard people”

Trashy and classless is part of the appeal.  Corporate’s willingness to forgo preventive maintenance, hire less than competent ship captains, disregard of safety and pollution laws cause me some concern.  But that someone would select their cabin based on the best view of the runners, is what I LOVE about Carnival.

I know plenty of people who won’t sail Carnival because of Triumph.  Yet to have someone tell me it is because of people cheering the runners.