Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

Hi All a010.gif

Just returned from my 1st solo cruise on the Neiuw Amsterdam. LUVED the ship! Did not like goin' solo. It was like Noah's Ark and I didn't have a partner. a050.gifOh well, you live and learn.

Sorry you did not enjoy going alone...it is the only way I cruise. I haven't had a partner in years and years and years....I love cruising solo:)

Edited by Lois R

That's the same cruise I'm doing!! And I'm on anthem a week after you, I think (feb. 13)

Wow small world!!! You'll love the itinerary (assuming it's the same!). And the repo cruises get plenty of cruise-critic people so you should meet a lot of friendly people! :)

And too bad the Anthem cruises didn't align!!! :(

Hello there! I've just booked my first solo cruise on NCL and am looking to see how others have experienced solo cruising.

I have been separated for a few years and will soon be divorced. (Which time has taught me is actually a good thing.) While I have been on a few cruises with family, I like the idea of cruising solo. I'm in the second half of my 40s. I tag along with my parents or my sister and her family and always have a good time...and am able to take some "me" time, but still have company for dinner and some shows, etc.

I have read a lot of great reviews about the studios on NCL and I want to give it a try. I may not be completely solo, however, because my Dad, who has been divorced many years and is also single, may tag along. :) We decided to go the studio route anyway, so that we can both have our space--and because Dad knows that I want to try them out. I have heard that the interior staterooms are actually quite small and have single beds. We can get adjoining studios and have our own double beds and bathrooms...and different sleep schedules, which seemed great. It is also a better option if he needs to cancel for any reason.

I am curious to read the threads and see what other people have experienced as solo cruisers. I am not a social butterfly, but I have never had any trouble finding someone to chat with on a cruise...when I am up for it. Like others, I have found that sunglasses and a Kindle ensure solitude when that is what I need. :)

I do like the idea of the studio lounge on Norwegian. I have been on my own now long enough to like my own company, but there are times when it's nice to meet people. I read that the studio crowd has a wide age range, which is great because I am in my 40s and my Dad is in his 70s.

Here's to calm seas and beautiful sunsets!

I began solo cruising in the NCL studios after my husband passed away at a young age. That was 14 years ago, and I can now eat by myself and spend most of the cruise alone, though that would never be my choice. Lately, I've been taking the cabin upgrades, but I still check out the solo gathering the first day or two. The studios provide companionship if necessary. Just be sure to go to the solo gathering, probably around 5:30 in the Sunset Bar.

I went on the Epic and Breakaway twice- I stayed in a studio on the Epic and ended up upgrading to a Balcony on the Breakaway - the studio lounge and solo gatherings were great- I also found that going to fat cats/howl at the moon every night was great as well as I would see the same people.

I do not believe having a balcony made my cruise better other than having more space to unpack. In my opinion, the studio was sleeker and more comfortable than the inside I had on the NCL Jewel.

The nice thing about not having fixed dining was the group could often decide as a whole what time to eat. Typically for me on the three ships it was usually 7 to 7:30- I did like eating one time at Cagney's 6pm as it freed up most of the evening.

Also, as a solo I would avoid booking any 7pm shows if you are keen on eating with others the first few nights. Typically, the Cirque shows I would do the last night

Norwegian Sun, Vancouver to Seward, May 30 to June 6. First solo cruise AND first Alaska trip!

I did that trip last year, The Sun is amazing, i really liked it. very different from the other NCL ships, smaller ship, bigger staterooms and a fantastic crew. Alaska is gorgeous. Enjoy yourself.

Anne

That's great...Id like to try for Alaska next year. Did you get a good deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did! My awesome travel agent got me a balcony cabin and everything on my wish list, including a hotel the night before in Vancouver and the scenic train to Anchorage airport afterward, all within my budget! (I had thought a balcony would be out of my price range.)

I am flying to Auckland NZ next week, boarding the Noordam on the 13th for a fourteen day cruise ending in Sydney, Aus. Booked a quarantine inside and two upgrades later I will be in a veranda and only cost 35 dollar's more! Hoping to meet other solos on the ship!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Second solo cruise booked on Anthem for 5/14/2016. I had a studio inside guarantee but they upgraded me to a normal inside cabin so far. I'm hoping the 2nd time solo is just as good or better than my first solo which was a few weeks ago.

Anyone else braving a Spring Break cruise solo? :) I'm sailing on the Norwegian Escape March 12th--looking forward to my first solo cruise.

Enjoy the big ship!! I'm doing the Gem on March 12 solo. so same time, different ship. maybe next time we will meet.