Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

Hi All, I am sure I am in the wrong place again-I am looking for a good cruise for a solo traveler for first time experience. I have travelled extensively in Europe on cruises with my family (My parents are now 83 and 87, so we have always gone as a big family with my brothers and their families as well)-Seabourn twice, Silversea, Oceania, Regent twice,Crystal...I am looking for a cruise from a domestic port just to check out this summer alone. Basically a 7 night would be perfect. I have an abundant amount of free time and figure with my 10 year old at camps all summer and my husband too busy to go (and really not interested), I might as well try to experience this and see if I like solo travel. Would love to meet other interesting people traveling solo too. Any suggestions would be great. Not quite willing to fly to Rome or international yet by myself. I also am not sure about the accommodations. On the cruises I have been on, I always have had a balcony, and I am willing to pay for that, but is it crazy to get a balcony as a solo price wise? I also don't mind kids, but would prefer the company of adult only areas at times. The cruises I have been on have rarely had kids, so domestic summer travel I am sure will be a different experience unless I know what to look for. Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Good afternoon:) I have been sailing solo for many years~I love it:)

As for recommendations, the lines you have been on are considered

luxury......if that is what you are used to I am not sure how much you

will enjoy the mainstream/mass market lines. Most of the mainstream

lines charge double for solo cruisers (they want 2 people in that cabin).

So when you ask is it crazy? No, not in my opinion. I value my own

space and I pay the price to sail solo.

Where are you from? You said you are looking to sail domestic? Florida

has many, many choices.....I have never sailed any of the cruiselines

you mention. I have been on Celebrity over 40 times and so that is

my recommendation.

Others on here sail Royal, Princess, Holland America, Carnival, NCL,

etc........there are alot of choices out there.

Hopefully one day I may be able to try Crystal and/or Seabourn.

I am taking my first River Cruise this week (solo of course);) flying

to Amsterdam on Tuesday and I can't wait.:D

Hope you find what you are looking for.:)

There are some lines, and some times, you can find a cruise that has no single supplement at all. Not very often, but it does happen. Also, sometimes it might cost less to book a balcony than an oceanview. There is another thread on this forum called "Post Solo Cruise Bargains Here". If you join or subscribe to that thread, people are usually posting deals when they find them. Most of them are for travel on fairly short notice, like within 30 days. But I recently booked an Alaska cruise for May 26, 2017, on Royal Caribbean with no single supplement. So good luck hunting!

Pam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi All, I am sure I am in the wrong place again-I am looking for a good cruise for a solo traveler for first time experience. I have travelled extensively in Europe on cruises with my family (My parents are now 83 and 87, so we have always gone as a big family with my brothers and their families as well)-Seabourn twice, Silversea, Oceania, Regent twice,Crystal...I am looking for a cruise from a domestic port just to check out this summer alone. Basically a 7 night would be perfect. I have an abundant amount of free time and figure with my 10 year old at camps all summer and my husband too busy to go (and really not interested), I might as well try to experience this and see if I like solo travel. Would love to meet other interesting people traveling solo too. Any suggestions would be great. Not quite willing to fly to Rome or international yet by myself. I also am not sure about the accommodations. On the cruises I have been on, I always have had a balcony, and I am willing to pay for that, but is it crazy to get a balcony as a solo price wise? I also don't mind kids, but would prefer the company of adult only areas at times. The cruises I have been on have rarely had kids, so domestic summer travel I am sure will be a different experience unless I know what to look for. Thanks for any help or suggestions!

check out cruiseplum.com. you can enter your parameters and then s sort by cost per day etc.

Edited by mrobstad

Thanks All! After all the cruising I have done, I have not kept track like people do here. Cruiseplum sounds like it might be a good place to start. I'd also like to find a thread where people are in the same boat and considering a solo cruise for the first time. Thanks again.

that topic has been discussed many times. use search feature to see what was said. Honestly, Ive never read about anyone who didnt like cruising solo after theyve jumped in! In fact, my last cruise was with a couple who joined me late in the game, and i was concerned. Though I love them dearly, I think I prefer cruising solo. [emoji41]

is this your first European cruise? If yes, be sure to check Ports of Call for CC members organizing independent excursions. Theyre often half the price and much nicer. European cruises are very different than Caribbean cruises--much more port intensive, requiring research on your part. Enjoy!

First solo cruise for me, an early 50th birthday present to myself.

Istanbul to Rome, with stops in Cyprus, Israel and Malta to name a few.

This is my third attempt to do Istanbul. Previous attempts were cancelled by itinerary changes.

Do most solo cruisers find private tours better? Or are ship's tour better for solos? Do you meet more people on private tours?

Clark

Private excursions or w/the ship?

I think it depends on your comfort level. I do both. If someone on the Roll Call has a private tour that appeals to me, I join. Most have been good.

If it's something I really want to see & there's no private group tour, I do the ship's tour.

I'm a senior female, so I don't consider striking out on my own on a private tour. I do sometimes walk around a small town on my own.

Good luck w/Istanbul! I seems to be on the cruise lines' "maybe" list due to current events.

:) I booked 10 days Alaska on the NCL Pearl leaving 5-5-2016. I'm in a Family Balcony. I've been watching the Alaska cruises and they are giving a solo discount. They had also dropped the price over the past couple of weeks. I didn't sign up in time for the 'Free at Sea' stuff but they had dropped the price by a couple of hundred and added 100 OBC so I grabbed it.

The balcony is in a good location between other cabin floors deck 9. now I just have to get my flights and other stuff booked. :D

Thanks! My last NCL cruise was June of last year, and the way things have been going I'm afraid my favorite things will be gone or an upcharge. :)

Welcome. Well that is a small expense for a popular perk. I am a little taken back at the studio prices now. I never paid over $900 but booked for $1229 yesterday. They are compensating for the "free" promo I suppose. You really need to book way out in advance to see any savings.

Edited by DaveL00

Welcome. Well that is a small expense for a popular perk. I am a little taken back at the studio prices now. I never paid over $900 but booked for $1229 yesterday. They are compensating for the "free" promo I suppose. You really need to book way out in advance to see any savings.

100% agree. I paid $899 for basically the same week last year and $1199 this year. I absolutely do believe it's because of the "perks" being forced on us. I held out for a while but finally caved. I don't drink, don't want more than one or two nights of specialty dining, and will be buying a weeklong internet package. I don't need any of the "perks" and the studio rooms aren't eligible for the special "no frills" pricing on other rooms.

I also seem to recall the same sailing last year had single supplements on normal rooms that were a lot less than 100%.

100% agree. I paid $899 for basically the same week last year and $1199 this year. I absolutely do believe it's because of the "perks" being forced on us. I held out for a while but finally caved. I don't drink, don't want more than one or two nights of specialty dining, and will be buying a weeklong internet package. I don't need any of the "perks" and the studio rooms aren't eligible for the special "no frills" pricing on other rooms.

I also seem to recall the same sailing last year had single supplements on normal rooms that were a lot less than 100%.

Did you not pick one of the promo choices? Although just a moderate drinker, I picked that package and they added another $99 for tips. The dining option has a $24 additional fee while the wi-fi and excursions don't have any.

Not to make us feel worse but someone posted on my roll call how he got his studio with 2 choices under the promo while being almost $400 cheaper. That deal was through Dec 31 but I wasn't in the market then. Timing is everything as they say.

Edited by DaveL00

That ultimate bev package is normally $560 + 18% which is where the additional $99 comes from. That's only 10 mid-range drinks for the entire trip to break even. For those power drinkers, that's an incentive to book that can't be ignored.

Edited by DaveL00

I went with the SDP and got (iirc) an extra $12 charge. I might be misremembering, but it was fairly low. Maybe it WAS $24 but I remember it being under $20.

I know some TAs are able to give you no frills pricing that is MUCH lower and doesn't include the 'free' perks, but typically guarantee rooms, and doesn't include studios.

I went with the SDP and got (iirc) an extra $12 charge. I might be misremembering, but it was fairly low. Maybe it WAS $24 but I remember it being under $20.

I know some TAs are able to give you no frills pricing that is MUCH lower and doesn't include the 'free' perks, but typically guarantee rooms, and doesn't include studios.

You're right it is $12 extra per person for SDP. I must have had 2 people in there while I was checking prices. I never considered a TA for booking. Maybe I need to look into it as I'm not convinced that having the drink package is what I need. I have liked staying in the studios though.

Edited by DaveL00