Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

As a newbie senior solo traveler I am very hesitant to take a cruise that leaves from a foreign port that I would have to fly into. I use Princess transfers when I travel and I don't get lost that way. Hopefully as I travel more I will be less of a travel weenie.[emoji851]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I too am a solo senior traveler and can appreciate your concern. One thing that I do when flying to a foreign port, is book my air through the cruise line, as well as the transfer. That way I have the comfort of their guarantee that they will get me to the ship if the flight is delayed. Also, I have found their prices to be very competitive.

Once you get the hang of it, you are going to love traveling solo!

"As a newbie senior solo traveler I am very hesitant to take a cruise that leaves from a foreign port that I would have to fly into. I use Princess transfers when I travel and I don't get lost that way. Hopefully as I travel more I will be less of a travel weenie."

I'm also a senior solo female & I do the same thing! And I use the Princess airfare too -- good price w/delay assistance.

I fly in a day early after booking a hotel at or near the airport - one that has a shuttle so that I can easily get to the hotel & then back to the airport the next day & meet the Princess transport.

I leave for the western Med. in 60 days! I'll fly into/out of London. It'll be my 3rd solo & 2nd international solo. I'm already booked for S. America next year.

You're not a "travel weenie" just inexperienced. It gets easier w/practice! ENJOY!

As a newbie senior solo traveler I am very hesitant to take a cruise that leaves from a foreign port that I would have to fly into. I use Princess transfers when I travel and I don't get lost that way. Hopefully as I travel more I will be less of a travel weenie.[emoji851]

I'm glad others already responded to this, but I will also. I'm in my early 40s and a very avid traveler. I'm sitting at the airport now waiting to fly to Vancouver and boarding my first princess cruise on Saturday. While I love to TRAVEL, the TRAVELING is annoying-- there's nothing wrong with taking cruise transfers until you feel comfortable-- the one down side is that you may not be able to experience that city. But convenience and security (actual or just your feelings) is a great reason to do it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am 63 and perhaps as a male I can be more adventurous as a solo traveler. I like to visit the city for a day or two before the cruise, especially if I have not been there before. I will use the cruise line transfer service after the cruise to get me to the airport efficiently (and conveniently).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it's necessarily gender-based. I wouldn't bother flying to Europe without getting to be in the city either before or after. I think people just have different comfort levels, which is ok. I did a lot of solo travel to both Europe and Asia before I started cruising and now live in NYC. I think all those things contribute to my comfort level. I do know that in recent years I've had a bad knee injury and some bad back issues, which leads me to be more willing to spend $$ for less hassle transportation (as I'm sitting in the airport waiting to go to Vancouver-- planned on taking the train, but with one large and two small bags, I will be taking a taxi)

I don't think it's necessarily gender-based. I wouldn't bother flying to Europe without getting to be in the city either before or after. I think people just have different comfort levels, which is ok. I did a lot of solo travel to both Europe and Asia before I started cruising and now live in NYC. I think all those things contribute to my comfort level. I do know that in recent years I've had a bad knee injury and some bad back issues, which leads me to be more willing to spend $$ for less hassle transportation (as I'm sitting in the airport waiting to go to Vancouver-- planned on taking the train, but with one large and two small bags, I will be taking a taxi)

I did not mean to be sexist. I am sooooooo sorry. I think I was referring to MY comfort level might be different if I were female. You are right about comfort level not being gender-based but more based on personal experience and personality.

"As a newbie senior solo traveler I am very hesitant to take a cruise that leaves from a foreign port that I would have to fly into. I use Princess transfers when I travel and I don't get lost that way. Hopefully as I travel more I will be less of a travel weenie."

I'm also a senior solo female & I do the same thing! And I use the Princess airfare too -- good price w/delay assistance.

I fly in a day early after booking a hotel at or near the airport - one that has a shuttle so that I can easily get to the hotel & then back to the airport the next day & meet the Princess transport.

I leave for the western Med. in 60 days! I'll fly into/out of London. It'll be my 3rd solo & 2nd international solo. I'm already booked for S. America next year.

You're not a "travel weenie" just inexperienced. It gets easier w/practice! ENJOY!

How do you know which hotels to book in foreign ports? I've seen some recommendations posted here for hotels in a few ports. I do work with a TA so that should help. I am looking at a Princess British Isles cruise 4/16 that ends in Southhampton I would like to stay a couple of days post cruise to see the sites.

Thanks

Diana

How do you know which hotels to book in foreign ports? I've seen some recommendations posted here for hotels in a few ports. I do work with a TA so that should help. I am looking at a Princess British Isles cruise 4/16 that ends in Southhampton I would like to stay a couple of days post cruise to see the sites.

Thanks

Diana

Hi:) I have been traveling solo for many years and cruising solo since

How to find hotels in foreign cities.....well, I post on here under the

port forum that I am looking for....example, I stayed in Amsterdam

earlier this year and posted on the Western Europe forum and got some

good recommendations. I then went to Trip Advisor and read reviews

about some of the different hotels.......found something and booked

directly through the hotel I chose....and I made a very good choice and

would stay at the same place again.

The ports of call forums on Cruise Critic are really helpful:)

I need a good hotel recommendation for Amsterdam. What was the name of your hotel?

I need a good hotel recommendation for Amsterdam. What was the name of your hotel?

Hi Linda:) I stayed at The Banks Mansion and I highly recommend it:D

I would stay there again and the next time I got to Amsterdam they

will get my business again:)

I'll be joining you. I'm doing a B2B with the October 10th cruise.

I'm glad to know I won't be the only solo cruiser. I decided to do the assigned seating at the early diner. I asked for a large table in the hopes of meeting other people. I requested to be put at a table with other solo cruisers, but I'm not sure if Celebrity does that.

I'm glad to know I won't be the only solo cruiser. I decided to do the assigned seating at the early diner. I asked for a large table in the hopes of meeting other people. I requested to be put at a table with other solo cruisers, but I'm not sure if Celebrity does that.

I think it's a crap shoot. The last time I requested a large table on Celebrity I was seated at a table I believe of 10. There were 3 couples, a mother in law, myself, a co-worker who was traveling with me but in another cabin & someone who never showed up. It was a combination of Canada, British & US. We got along very well.

I think Carnival does the best job of seating solo cruisers together.

I have chosen select dining. There is, maybe, another lady traveling with me but in a different cabin. She never goes to the dining room but I do. I like the specialty restaurants so if you want to go to one or all I'd be happy to join you. I'm in cabin 9243.

Thanks. I will check out those forums. I did book the 4/17 British isles cruise from Florida to Southampton. Now I just have to plan 2-3 days of excursions while in England.

(hope I am posting this right!!)

Hello!! I'm Kim...46 year old booked for my first solo cruise!! Can't wait!!:)

Hi Kim. You forgot to put the ship (Norwegian Epic) and the date (February 25, 2017) in the body of your post. Enjoy your first solo cruise!

I think it's a crap shoot. The last time I requested a large table on Celebrity I was seated at a table I believe of 10. There were 3 couples, a mother in law, myself, a co-worker who was traveling with me but in another cabin & someone who never showed up. It was a combination of Canada, British & US. We got along very well.

I think Carnival does the best job of seating solo cruisers together.

I have chosen select dining. There is, maybe, another lady traveling with me but in a different cabin. She never goes to the dining room but I do. I like the specialty restaurants so if you want to go to one or all I'd be happy to join you. I'm in cabin 9243.

I'd like to try one of the specialty restaurants too. I'm in cabin 7286