Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

I loved my first solo a couple of months ago so much I booked a B2B solo on Allure for January 2020. 

I only cruise Royal but this will be my first time on an Oasis class ship. I’ve never booked a year out before and not sure I can last that long. I started looking today for a cruise late summer. 

Hi, I'm Rebecca, 41 from NYC. I just booked my first ever solo cruise on the Norwegian Escape April 21-28. I usually cruise with my parents on Holland America, but they are on a longer cruise at that time and I am a teacher, so restricted to the school break. 

Excited and nervous about cruising solo. I definitely don't mind being on my own and I am social enough when I need to be. I guess I am most nervous about people thinking I'm crazy/odd/weird for being on my own, and not eventually becoming bummed out over being on vacation on my own. 

Honestly, I am just looking forward to unwinding with a good book and relaxing. Teaching is exhausting! 

14 hours ago, wrongheaven said:

Hi, I'm Rebecca, 41 from NYC. I just booked my first ever solo cruise on the Norwegian Escape April 21-28. I usually cruise with my parents on Holland America, but they are on a longer cruise at that time and I am a teacher, so restricted to the school break. 

Excited and nervous about cruising solo. I definitely don't mind being on my own and I am social enough when I need to be. I guess I am most nervous about people thinking I'm crazy/odd/weird for being on my own, and not eventually becoming bummed out over being on vacation on my own. 

Honestly, I am just looking forward to unwinding with a good book and relaxing. Teaching is exhausting! 

How exciting! I’m about to go on my first solo seven day cruise next week. I’m excited and a little anxious at the same time. If you’re looking for a good book “Where the Crawdads Sing“ is a great read.   Enjoy your cruise! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GTVCRUISER said:

I have been on many solo cruises , I was afraid at first , now I love it . You have your own cabin and plenty of things to do onboard

gtvsolocruiser.jpg

I'm so happy to hear this. I'm excited but also afraid I'm locking myself away from family and friends for 7 days and by day 3 I'll be stir crazy. This is way out of my comfort zone. 

On 3/2/2019 at 9:45 PM, wrongheaven said:

I'm 19 days into a 49 day cruise, single and solo and loving it. What are you really "afraid" of?  (Rhethorical)  If you don't get that answered and "straight"before your trip you will be miserable onboard. 

Ramona

• Like 2

Hi Ramona, I hope one day to be able to sail for 49 days:classic_biggrin:...….glad you are having such a good time. If you come back and check this thread, will you post your itinerary?

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:45 PM, wrongheaven said:

Hi Rebecca, I have been sailing solo for 16 years and LOVE IT.:classic_smile: I am sailing again next month too.  Are you nervous about "other people" thinking those things about you?  To be totally honest, people are really into themselves while on vacation and really don't care about the status of other cruisers. In other words, I seriously doubt anyone will care if you are traveling on your own.  You may get a few folks who might make a comment about sailing own your is brave, etc...(After all these years I still get that line sometimes) but if someone has an issue? It is their problem, not yours.   Anyway, no reason to "become bummed" about sailing solo.  It is the only way I cruise.

Hope you have a good time:classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Rebecca, I have been sailing solo for 16 years and LOVE IT.:classic_smile: I am sailing again next month too.  Are you nervous about "other people" thinking those things about you?  To be totally honest, people are really into themselves while on vacation and really don't care about the status of other cruisers. In other words, I seriously doubt anyone will care if you are traveling on your own.  You may get a few folks who might make a comment about sailing own your is brave, etc...(After all these years I still get that line sometimes) but if someone has an issue? It is their problem, not yours.   Anyway, no reason to "become bummed" about sailing solo.  It is the only way I cruise.

Hope you have a good time:classic_biggrin:

As Lois said above, I doubt anyone will find anything 'strange' about you being on your own.  To be honest I think a lot of people are fascinated and probably slightly envious that you have the courage to go away on your own.  I found a lot of people when they find you are on your own, like to try and talk to you.  

I've done 4 solo trips and my 5th is later this year.  While I still enjoy going away with my friends, I'm equally excited (and probably a little bit more!!) about my solo cruise.   

Just chill out and enjoy lots of people watching (particularly the couples and/or families that are becoming frazzled with each others company ;-))

5 hours ago, Misself said:

As Lois said above, I doubt anyone will find anything 'strange' about you being on your own.  To be honest I think a lot of people are fascinated and probably slightly envious that you have the courage to go away on your own.  I found a lot of people when they find you are on your own, like to try and talk to you.  

I've done 4 solo trips and my 5th is later this year.  While I still enjoy going away with my friends, I'm equally excited (and probably a little bit more!!) about my solo cruise.   

Just chill out and enjoy lots of people watching (particularly the couples and/or families that are becoming frazzled with each others company ;-))

I totally agree.  At first they are surprised, but then they are amazed  by your courage.  Sometimes they even invite you to hang out with them or have dinner with them. Adds another dimension of entertainment. You'll love it.

• Like 1

Hi All 

Recently went on NCL 2 week cruise...It was my first Solo Cruise. Had done 25 while married, so was a leap of faith to venture one alone. Took me four years to make the decision. That being said....I enjoyed it so much. Met wonderful people everywhere I went. Yes, sometimes felt sad and alone seeing other couples or families, but just tried to do something quickly to move on. I drank, ate, laughed, danced, sang and left with two more cruises booked. Surpassed all expectations and fears.

Only regret is that I waited four years to summon up the courage. If you are on the fence, hope you make the right decision.

Rosemary[

• Like 2

On 3/3/2019 at 10:50 AM, GTVCRUISER said:

I have been on 126 cruises and 35 of them have been solo , the only bad part is most of the time , I have to pay double for the cabin

manycruisecards19 (2).jpg

WOW that's an impressive stack :). The down side is paying double. I was offered an upsale on my cruise, but still would've had to pay both fares. That's was getting way out of my price range.

17 hours ago, NotThePest_Too said:

I'm 19 days into a 49 day cruise, single and solo and loving it. What are you really "afraid" of?  (Rhethorical)  If you don't get that answered and "straight"before your trip you will be miserable onboard. 

Ramona

Oh man, so happy to hear you're having a great time. 49 days, how amazing that would be.