Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

6 hours ago, jrcruisealong said:

Just booked my first solo cruise on Grand Princess for Oct 2020, California coast return from Vancouver. Both looking forward to it and a bit apprehensive but mainly the former.

I totally get it, I'm doing my first solo on February 1st after doing over 30 cruises.  Not going to go into details but life changes and since I've always loved to cruise off I go to a new adventure.  Sure I'm a little nervous but excited as well.  Bet we end up having a wonderful time!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BJs mom said:

I totally get it, I'm doing my first solo on February 1st after doing over 30 cruises.  Not going to go into details but life changes and since I've always loved to cruise off I go to a new adventure.  Sure I'm a little nervous but excited as well.  Bet we end up having a wonderful time!!

I completely understand your angst.  My very first solo cruise (my 4th cruise), was a transatlantic....  I was quite anxious, but it was so very liberating!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BJs mom said:

It's natural to be nervous on the 1st one. I'm going on my second solo January 2nd, Panama Canal, and it's easy peasy this time 🙂

• Like 2

On 12/4/2019 at 3:57 PM, BJs mom said:

I bet we will too! 🙂

I just finished my first solo cruise on November 10th. I also spent two days in London before the cruise and two days in Rome at the end of the cruise.I was anxious about doing such a big trip alone, especially being in Rome alone. The trip was amazing from start to finish. The Concierge at both hotels were very friendly and helpful. I felt totally comfortable in both cities. I met a group of people on a tour in London that were also on the cruise. They invited me to hang around with them on the tour, had lunch with them, and also shared a taxi back to my hotel. We also chatted quite a bit on the ship.

I took a pre cruise tour from London to the port in Southampton. The trip included a stop at Stonehenge. I met a couple on the bus that invited me to walk with them while at Stonehenge. We also shared some hot chocolate at the cafe after touring Stonehenge. I also chatted with them on the ship.

There were so many lovely and engaging people on the ship. I always had someone to talk to, and attend shows with.

I chose Anytime dining and chose to eat alone. The two top tables on Princess ships are located in the same area and very close together.  The couples sitting by me were very engaging and always conversed with me. I also me a group of five people traveling together and they invited me to dine with them. I dined with them three nights and attended a couple of shows with them. They were so friendly. One of the couples is traveling on a cruise I have booked for next fall

I also met another solo traveler on my excursion in Toulon. She is also a widow like me, and has traveled everywhere on her own. She gave me lots of advice on solo traveling. We spent the excursion together and had lots of fun. We also were on the same excursion to the Cinque Terra. We also hung out together in that excursion. It was another fun and enjoyable day.

I may have just been incredibly lucky to meet so many welcoming and friendly people on this cruise. But I do not think so, I think it is just the nature of the type of folks that like to cruise. I also think if you are willing to open yourself up to new people and new adventures. you will find that people are very receptive towards you.

I had an amazing time on the cruise. I enjoyed talking and spending time with all the people I met on the cruise. I also enjoyed my alone time. I have already booked two more cruises that I will be traveling solo. I have no anxiety about traveling solo anymore.

I hope everyone of you anticipating that first solo trip have a very special experience like I did on my first solo voyage.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Boatingmom said:

First solo cruise Feb2020. Already booked another for next year. One port intensive one ship intensive🤷‍♀️

Where is your ship intensive one? I booked a transatlantic in March 2020 with 9 sea days! Already have set up a meet n' mingle with other solos!

15 hours ago, jmd97 said:

Sailing on my first solo cruise onboard the Norwegian Bliss (Jan. 5-19). Both nervous and super excited!

Bliss was my first cruise, solo. It's a great ship! NCL is super solo-friendly and you'll have your own activities director to set up group dinners. If you're like me and are content to be completely solo, don't hesitate to book specialty dining on your own. You won't be the only one luxuriating in your own company.

I highly recommend Sugarcane for people-watching while sipping a mojito.

Fun solo times ahead:

• January 12-17, 2019: NCL Joy, Mexican Riviera (discounts = mini-suite)
  • June 1-8, 2019: NCL Jewel, Seward to Vancouver (inside)
  • August/September 2020: hoping to snag a last-minute discount on a HAL or Princess Alaska cruise out of Seattle
  • January 3-13: NCL Jewel, New Zealand & Australia (celebratory treat = another mini-suite)

Although I’ve booked the last one ($50 deposit so why not), I might swap it for an October/November Japan cruise if I get my dissertation finished earlier than expected.

Hi everyone,  I just booked my first solo cruise yesterday!  Very excited and a bit apprehensive.  I’ll be on Holland America’s Nieuw Amsterdam for their transatlantic voyage departing Fort Lauderdale on 4/4 to Barcelona.  Six sea days, the Azores, two more sea days and then Cadiz, Malaga and Cartagena.  All new ports for me. If anyone else is on this cruise, please let me know.

Thanks, Cynthia

Life is about change, I just booked my first solo on the NCL Encore April 2021 MIA-LAX15 days.

A Panama Canal transit Cruise was on our cruise list and thought I’d missed my chance after one of life’s curves. Life’s just too short to not do the fun stuff. It will be here before I know it.

got lots of research to do as solo hasn’t been a thing(for me)for a long time.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 3:32 PM, shellgirl61 said:

I hope everyone of you anticipating that first solo trip have a very special experience like I did on my first solo voyage.

I have an eight day solo for the first time on Feb 1, and I am having second thoughts!  I was actually willing to lose money and not go!😲

I am not shy or reserved but I am still quite anxious about the whole thing!  I am going to the Meet and Mingle and doing a pub crawl and a room crawl.

I booked this cruise because it is to the ABC islands and I am an avid snorkeler.

I am seriously doubting my decision,  I keep saying to myself I  must have  been crazy!

3 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I have an eight day solo for the first time on Feb 1, and I am having second thoughts!  I was actually willing to lose money and not go!😲

I am not shy or reserved but I am still quite anxious about the whole thing!  I am going to the Meet and Mingle and doing a pub crawl and a room crawl.

I booked this cruise because it is to the ABC islands and I am an avid snorkeler.

I am seriously doubting my decision,  I keep saying to myself I  must have  been crazy!

Please don't cancel - give it a go as I'm sure you'll love it and if, for some reason or other, you don't enjoy it too much you'll be able to say you gave it a go and not have any regrets going.  

Which ship are you going on?  It sounds like they have a few activities already planned so when you get talking to others that'll lead to more.  You say you're a snorkeler so chat with others on the roll call and perhaps see if you find fellow snorkelers who may have trips booked.  If you go on trips, be it through the ship or independent operators, you'll meet others.

Go, have a ball and make some memories - then plan your next solo trip 😁

Fiona

• Like 2

I went on my first cruise Oct 2017.

I've been on 4 so far. all solo.

on Norwegian they have activities geared towards solo travelers. I've had a blast. met really nice people. if you like doing things when you want, whenever you want. enjoy the experience. I was nervous at first. I had never gone away on vacation alone before. now I can't think of anyway to travel.

• Like 1