Solo Cruiser's Roll Call

42CruiseCrazy

I did a B2B on the Jewell in Alaska June 2019 and I loved it.  I had different Solo hosts for each trip and although their style was different, they both did a great job.  I haven't cruised that much but so far the Jewell is my favorite ship.  I even scheduled a B2B2B on her next fall.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HowardK said:

I loved the Epic , Breakaway and Escape- but I didn't like the Jewel at all- it had no solo programming and the entertainment and things weren't as good. 

Escape was most recent for me in 2018. I don't think one can go wrong with the Breakaway either

Yeah, that's what I understand - the newer/larger NCL ships (Breakaway-class, Breakaway+-class, Epic) are where NCL really started investing in solo cruisers (numerous studio cabins-especially Epic, studio lounge, assigned ship staffer for solos, studio cabins located in an exclusive area-key card required for entrance, high & up forward on multiple decks, etc).

I guess the Jewel doesn't have these things because she is an older/smaller ship. I am interested in Jewel however due to her smaller size (less pax, less crowded) and for her 14 day Hawaii - French Polynesian (incl Tahiti) itinerary. I wish I could get a solo supplement discount on a balcony cabin on Jewel but I doubt that will happen.

Thanks for your reply.

5 hours ago, MidwesternCruiser2 said:

A vaccine won't cure anything, just reduce symptoms, and masks or distancing aren't that much trouble for time on the water (IMO).

I agree, a vaccine won't cure covid-19 but, depending on the vaccine's effectiveness, it could prevent you from getting the virus. Like the flu shot, even if you do get the virus, the severity & symptoms will not be near as bad as if you didn't have the vaccine. Also, the vaccine will reduce the chance of hospitalization (incl being put on a ventilator) and most importantly, reduce the chance of death. With the development of therapeutics now combined with an effective vaccine, one's prognosis even if getting covid-19 will be substantially better than it is currently.

I totally respect your opinion on the wearing of masks, social distancing, etc. on a cruise. But, as for me, no thanks - especially with the possibility of being quarantined for days, if there was a positive case or worst yet, an outbreak on a cruise ship.

5 hours ago, NSnJW said:

I even scheduled a B2B2B on her next fall.

If you don't mind if I ask, what will be your itinerary and total length of cruise? As I replied to HowardK above, I am very interested in Jewel's 14 day cruise around the Hawaiian and French Polynesian islands with 5 sea days in between. I was even considering a B2B on this cruise which would make for practically a month (28 days) on a cruise ship!

9 hours ago, MidwesternCruiser2 said:

Sailed Jewel solo to Alaska in 2017 and found it to be at least as good as Getaway (Breakaway's sister) in 2018 RE solo planning.  Maybe it was more the host when you sailed?  Didn't notice that much difference in entertainment though.

hello- it was 2010- they didn't have any host. Just a solo gathering 3 people attended and left- It seems then they have gotten better- I saw the Jewel had nice routes as well- I think at some point from Vancouver?

Now that I am on my computer, and not my phone,  I cannot find the original post.   But here goes anyway:   NCL and solos.    On the large ships,  they have the studio cabins and a lounge,  if the group fits in the lounge,  evening gatherings are in the lounge.   The acoustics in those lounges are not created for large groups,  so it can be loud and uncomfortable.  However that is where the planning and sign ups happen.    On the smaller ships there is a hosted meet up in one of the bars / lounges.   From there,  it depends upon who your host is,  some are great, some not so much.    The least I have had them do is to make group dinner reservations for the group of solos.   So if what you fear the most is eating alone,  they've got that covered.   Then they may make group reservations for the evening shows,   usually forward port seating.   On the larger ships:  group laser tag, or group excursion on the go carts.   They will help us get space for group games on sea days.   Overall,  i have had a positive experience with being a solo traveler on NCL,  each time I travel it seems that I learn there is more they can and will do for us.    In my experience unless a "hosted singles group". is also on board,  this is solo traveling,  NOT singles / hook up. traveling.

All of that being said,  I am a small ship kind of person,  so when I ventured to MSC,  I chose the Armonia.   One of their smallest and oldest ships,  though she has been enlarged.    I found a hosted solo travelers group the first night I believe it was between the two show times,  but maybe before the early show.    The other solo passengers on the Armonia during my two cruises were mostly young.  like in their twenties, early thirties;  my being twice their age and disabled,  could not really keep up with the activities they were planning,  however,  i found that the staff,  knowing i was traveling solo would always stop and talk with me,  introduce me to each other, and to other solo travelers they had met during the week.   My table was all solo travelers, so that worked well the first week.   The second week I had "fantastica".  which included "free style". or "anytime". dining at a smaller restaurant.   I was introduced to a solo traveling french woman,  and we took several meals together.   I hadn't spoken that much French in 45 years.   It was both great and challenging.   The staff still made a point of stopping and speaking with me when I was out and about.    There were also several gatherings it seemed:   Cruise Critic,   the best hosting I've ever experienced,  Voyagers' Club. (returning sailors),  and a Black Card gathering.    That's three of the seven days on board!!   If there were more,  I didn't go.    I enjoyed the shows,  mostly musical as there were so many different languages spoken on board.    My only complaint about the Armonia was there seemed to be a dirth of public lavatories,  especially handicapped lavatories.   

Edited by skipperanne
mis spelled word changed meaning.
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, skipperanne said:

Now that I am on my computer, and not my phone,  I cannot find the original post.   But here goes anyway:   NCL and solos.    On the large ships,  they have the studio cabins and a lounge,  if the group fits in the lounge,  evening gatherings are in the lounge.   The acoustics in those lounges are not created for large groups,  so it can be loud and uncomfortable.  However that is where the planning and sign ups happen.    On the smaller ships there is a hosted meet up in one of the bars / lounges.   From there,  it depends upon who your host is,  some are great, some not so much.    The least I have had them do is to make group dinner reservations for the group of solos.   So if what you fear the most is eating alone,  they've got that covered.   Then they may make group reservations for the evening shows,   usually forward port seating.   On the larger ships:  group laser tag, or group excursion on the go carts.   They will help us get space for group games on sea days.   Overall,  i have had a positive experience with being a solo traveler on NCL,  each time I travel it seems that I learn there is more they can and will do for us.    In my experience unless a "hosted singles group". is also on board,  this is solo traveling,  NOT singles / hook up. traveling.

All of that being said,  I am a small ship kind of person,  so when I ventured to MSC,  I chose the Armonia.   One of their smallest and oldest ships,  though she has been enlarged.    I found a hosted solo travelers group the first night I believe it was between the two show times,  but maybe before the early show.    The other solo passengers on the Armonia during my two cruises were mostly young.  like in their twenties, early thirties;  my being twice their age and disabled,  could not really keep up with the activities they were planning,  however,  i found that the staff,  knowing i was traveling solo would always stop and talk with me,  introduce me to each other, and to other solo travelers they had met during the week.   My table was all solo travelers, so that worked well the first week.   The second week I had "fantastica".  which included "free style". or "anytime". dining at a smaller restaurant.   I was introduced to a solo traveling french woman,  and we took several meals together.   I hadn't spoken that much French in 45 years.   It was both great and challenging.   The staff still made a point of stopping and speaking with me when I was out and about.    There were also several gatherings it seemed:   Cruise Critic,   the best hosting I've ever experienced,  Voyagers' Club. (returning sailors),  and a Black Card gathering.    That's three of the seven days on board!!   If there were more,  I didn't go.    I enjoyed the shows,  mostly musical as there were so many different languages spoken on board.    My only complaint about the Armonia was there seemed to be a dirth of public lavatories,  especially handicapped lavatories.   

Thanks much for this!  Very helpful and appreciate you taking the time to be thorough!

8 hours ago, farmersfight said:

I totally respect your opinion on the wearing of masks, social distancing, etc. on a cruise. But, as for me, no thanks - especially with the possibility of being quarantined for days, if there was a positive case or worst yet, an outbreak on a cruise ship.

Back at you on respect.  Everyone has to do what is right for them.  I'm no rebel and am trying my best to be careful, using guidelines.  I guess I might trust the industry more than you, about when it's safe.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HowardK said:

hello- it was 2010- they didn't have any host. Just a solo gathering 3 people attended and left- It seems then they have gotten better- I saw the Jewel had nice routes as well- I think at some point from Vancouver?

The year probably says a lot.
Very nice routes -- in 2017 it was a 10-night sailing Seattle to Vancouver.

30 minutes ago, GTVCRUISER said:

Sunset onboard the Norwegian Sun     October  2015

nclsunsuntsetfolksbowbestgtv.jpg

Am on Sun (🤞) to Alaska in April.  Will be my 2nd time on an NCL ship to Alaska.  Prefer the smaller ships, and this was such a great deal, I know I'll enjoy it.
This looks like there's a promenade area outside an indoor observation area...is that accurate?  Not sure that makes sense.

• Like 1

The next big solos excursion is MSC Divina out of Canavaral on October 17, 2021.   There was (is?) a great deal upgrade to balcony at the same rate as an inside.  At this point I know of about 40 solo travelers on this cruise.   7 day, followed by a four day.    Destinations are nothing exciting,  two days at their private Island,  and Cozumel on the first week,   nassau and private island in the four day. .   being back on the seas is what is important.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, farmersfight said:

If you don't mind if I ask, what will be your itinerary and total length of cruise?

It will start on Sept. 13th.  Vancouver to Seward, 7 days.  Seward to Vancouver 7 days and Vancouver to LA 9 days.  23 days total.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, NSnJW said:

It will start on Sept. 13th.  Vancouver to Seward, 7 days.  Seward to Vancouver 7 days and Vancouver to LA 9 days.  23 days total.

Thanks. Wow, 23 days total. That's great and that is the kind of cruising I want to do when things resume. I've set a self-imposed minimum of 12 days on any cruise I will book, lol. I'm recently retired, so time is no object (yay!).

I'm glad to see your very positive opinion about the Norwegian Jewel. I'm very interested in doing a 14 day cruise on her - Hawaiian Islands to French Polynesian Islands with 5 sea days (from Honolulu, HI to Papeete, Tahiti). I was even flirting with the idea of doing a B2B on her which would be a 28 day cruise.

But, I don't want to pay a 100% solo supplement so I hope NCL will offer a last minute deal. We'll see. I think I would like the smaller Jewel - 2,000+ pax vs 4,000+ pax on the newer/larger ships (i.e. Breakaway-class, Breakaway + class).

I hope you find a good deal on a back to back Polynesian.  I had looked at a good price on the Jewel last year but couldn't go.  One thing to keep in mind, often the difference in price of the overall air fare will pay for much of the B2B second half.  

The reason I did a B2B Alaskan last year was that it was cheaper to sail the second week back to Vancouver than fly to Vancouver and then from Seward.  

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, farmersfight said:

Thanks. Wow, 23 days total. That's great and that is the kind of cruising I want to do when things resume. I've set a self-imposed minimum of 12 days on any cruise I will book, lol. I'm recently retired, so time is no object (yay!).

I'm glad to see your very positive opinion about the Norwegian Jewel. I'm very interested in doing a 14 day cruise on her - Hawaiian Islands to French Polynesian Islands with 5 sea days (from Honolulu, HI to Papeete, Tahiti). I was even flirting with the idea of doing a B2B on her which would be a 28 day cruise.

But, I don't want to pay a 100% solo supplement so I hope NCL will offer a last minute deal. We'll see. I think I would like the smaller Jewel - 2,000+ pax vs 4,000+ pax on the newer/larger ships (i.e. Breakaway-class, Breakaway + class).

I remember seeing these sailings BC (before covid) and for weeks, maybe even months prior they had the solo traveler price, and it was very low from what I recall. I suspect that when cruising resumes we'll see the solo traveler discounts (NCL) again.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, skipperanne said:

The next big solos excursion is MSC Divina out of Canavaral on October 17, 2021.   There was (is?) a great deal upgrade to balcony at the same rate as an inside.  At this point I know of about 40 solo travelers on this cruise.   7 day, followed by a four day.    Destinations are nothing exciting,  two days at their private Island,  and Cozumel on the first week,   nassau and private island in the four day. .   being back on the seas is what is important.

I see this is still available... thinking of doing it.... cant beat the price. Never sailed MSC before. What do they do for solos if anything?

3 hours ago, nesila said:

I see this is still available... thinking of doing it.... cant beat the price. Never sailed MSC before. What do they do for solos if anything?

I sailed on MSC Meraviglia 13 nights this past October/November solo on the NY to Miami cruise. Had a great time, one of my top 3 cruises so far. They had solo meetings in the "sky lounge" each night, they were unhosted but i do prefer the location as there is a bar and its a wonderful venue. They also include other solos for your assigned tablemates. MSC's solo cabins are quite nice, and i actually prefer them over NCL.

I sailed also on Divina in a balcony December '18 as they don't have solo cabins. That cruise they only had solo gatherings every 3rd night.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MidwesternCruiser2 said:

Only time will tell and I'm willing to risk booking since there really is no risk in making a change if the date arrives and it doesn't feel like a good idea.
A vaccine won't cure anything, just reduce symptoms, and masks or distancing aren't that much trouble for time on the water (IMO).

I love cruising, but looks like my next trip will be at an all inclusive resort. I booked 2 weeks in Cuba March '21