Rethinking Travel Insurance Strategy

ccrain

So with all the inputs, finally made the decisions and purchased the insurance, with a twist, of course.

After reviewing complaints and responses from various companies, I went with MH Ross and their Bridge plan, BUT I only insured 75% of the trip (based on comments from previous posters) - the cancellation fee from 15 days and up prior. If I combine that with the $5000 cancellation benefit from the Sapphire Preferred card, it will cover the full amount, just in case, I have to cancel within the 15 days. On top of that, I will purchase the Med Jet Assist a couple of weeks prior to leaving.

MH Ross is primary on medical, covers weather delays, covers job related cancellation with a statement from HR cancelling your leave, has non-medical evacuation coverage (Egypt/Turkey unrest type problems), medical evacuation and a reasonable amount of medical coverage. They also have a pretty good ranking from reviews and when I have seen problems posted, they have responded. It will cover the most likely things to happen on a foreign trip such as accidents (run over by a scooter in Rome or a mule on Santorini), loss of travel documents (pickpockets, thieves), visits to the ship's doctor (various maladies), weather delays getting there or home, up to something going wrong with the ship - although that would be covered by Princess as well.

The total price, with the Med jet Assist, is less than the MH Ross complete plan or the CSA Luxe plan we normally get with the pre-existing condition coverage - and the med jet assist annual will cover the next cruises as well at no additional expense.

Now sooner or later, we'll go back to having pre-existing conditions that don't fit the 60 day lookback and in that case, like Bobblsc stated, CSA is one of the few that cover pre-existing from final payment instead of initial payment.

On the 2014 cruises around CA, we'll probably go with the Princess insurance since we will be in the US and our health care coverage should suffice since Princess is secondary. Their 100% cruise credit under the platinum coverage for cancel any reason is appealing.

The main thing is how much risk are you willing to take on. In my opinion you should never travel without medical and evacuation insurance at an absolute minimum. (All the health in the world doesn't help when you get run over by someone or something in a foreign country, or just simply slip and fall while jogging on the Promenade deck!) Trip interruption is also one I do not want to risk. I forget where I read it, but for European trips, loss or theft of a passport will cost you about $2200, plus time lost.

Cancellation insurance, as one poster put it, is a matter of risk aversion. The trip's paid for, the money spent and up until 14 days, at Princess, you still get some back.

So I hope this discussion helps others make an informed choice on travel insurance.

Now, back to those pesky excursion plans and feeding my OCPD (Obsessive Cruise Planning Disorder)...

• 3 weeks later...

ThIs was very informative. I have medical insurance and evacuation/repatriation insurance through a group plan.

But since our last cruise I discovered that our medical insurance has a much higher maximum per person (not just per family) than it looks like in the summary we get on a chart every year. Also where it stated we have coverage in other countries in the past, it sounds like most countries now.

My point is that coverage changes year to year, so it's a good idea to review the policy and call the company with any questions. Next time I will buy the medical insurance coverage to be on the safe side.

• 1 month later...

We always take out travel insurance whenever we do major trips like cruises or overseas holidays. We had a cruise earlier in the year and were called home early because my wife's mother took ill suddenly and passed away before we could arrive home. We took out insurance with Allianz Global Assist and they refused to pay our claim because they "dont recognise anyone over the age of 85 years". This is a disgrace and we have just been advised from Anti Discrimination Queensland Agency that it is discrimination on the basis of age.

Avoid Allianz Global Assistance travel insurance at all costs, as we have found since our experience, there are others who have lost many more dollars due to refused claims by Allianz

Having Medijet Assist is great but you should also have medical evacuation to back it up. This June on an Alaska cruise a CC member's dad had a cardiac event in Juneau while on a tour. They medivac'd him to Anchorage (1 1/2 hr flight) where he died 3 days later. The evacuation cost $56,000 not including nurses etc. Medijet Assist would not apply as the father was not stable. If he had survived they could have brought him home though. Here is the link. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1884090&highlight=medical

We always take out travel insurance whenever we do major trips like cruises or overseas holidays. We had a cruise earlier in the year and were called home early because my wife's mother took ill suddenly and passed away before we could arrive home. We took out insurance with Allianz Global Assist and they refused to pay our claim because they "dont recognise anyone over the age of 85 years". This is a disgrace and we have just been advised from Anti Discrimination Queensland Agency that it is discrimination on the basis of age.

Avoid Allianz Global Assistance travel insurance at all costs, as we have found since our experience, there are others who have lost many more dollars due to refused claims by Allianz

I agree. I just had a problem with Allianz and a car rental. I don't generally buy insurance because when I go on business trips, the company insurance covers rental cars. BUT I went on a personal trip and since the vehicles I drive daily are furnished by my company and covered by the commercial insurance policy, I didn't want a claim against that commercial insurance for the company if I wrecked the car so I bought the $36 policy for 4 days with Allianz through Hotwire. The insurance company could easily deny the claim because I was NOT on company business.

When I arrived the Kansas City airport, Dollar rent a car was CLOSED (just after midnight). The guy was still there closing out the cash register and doing paperwork but he said he couldn't give me a car until 5AM. So I walked over to Alamo and Avis. I had already called both Hotwire and the after hours number at Allianz to notify them.

Hotwire stated they would IMMEDIATELY refund my money. Allianz gave me some BS story that I had to send them email and then they would decide whether my insurance was going to be refunded. All I wanted them to do was transfer it to whatever car rental I got at midnight. NO, NO, NO. I even had the policy with me and spent 5 minutes reading through it. All it stated was FULL SIZE car. Didn't reference a specific car rental company but did reference the Hotwire reservation.

So Alamo had a car but their darn insurance was over the top. I paid just so nothing happened. Hotwire had the money back on my credit card in two days. I am still dealing with Allianz and they have stated they can't confirm that I didn't get the car rented from Dollar. Just more BS. I even sent them a copy of the Hotwire cancellation and a snapshot of the refund on my credit card statement. STILL sending emails back and forth. I realize it is only $36 but now it becomes the principal of the thing.

I won't deal with them again and have written a formal letter to Upper Management at Hotwire so they know the insurance they are selling is NOT what they purport to be.

I can be very vindictive in business dealings and I am a non practicing transportation attorney. We just might end up in small claims court over that $36.00.

To the OP

I SWEAR by the Travelex policies. Not only is their basic policy generally a little cheaper, they are primary insurance and they have a nice death benefit which would repatriate your remains if something happened in a foreign country.

AND you can generally add on additional medical and evac at an additional fee if you feel the base policy doesn't have enough coverage.

But the real biggie with Travelex-they are owned by the company that has currency exchanges all over the world. There is hardly an airport worldwide that doesn't have a Travelex currency exchange. So local, in country support can be called in by the insurance division for translation or other local help if needed.

I know they took care of me extremely well when I became very sick in Cambodia. I didn't want to be treated any place in Cambodia. The insurance company wanted to fly me out of Phnom Penh to Japan. I wanted to go to the Aussie hospital in Saigon. I made arrangements with some assistance from them to get a car, driver AND NURSE to accompany me to Saigon. When I arrived, they had already made arrangements for admittance into the Aussie hospital. They GUARANTEED payment, so I didn't even have to pay in advance. It truly was a seamless experience and I thank them all the time by continuing to purchase their policies.

As Penny again posted, I probably over insure because I have a yearly out of country medical policy, a MedJet assist policy but I still generally buy a full coverage policy from Travelex to cover all the international travel I do. I REALLY hate to forfeit prepaid hotels (which are usually 4-7 days at a couple hundred dollars per day) and may need to purchase a last minute walk up ticket if something happens with a missed connection. Never had to use that coverage except once but it again was a pretty seamless experience. Send in the receipts with an explanation and back up documentation and the check was in the mail.

I am a FIRM believer of the benefits of Travelex. JMHO

I forget where I read it, but for European trips, loss or theft of a passport will cost you about $2200, plus time lost.

I don't know where you got that figure. Replacement passports are cheap. A lot depends on how well prepared you are to get a new one. The copy of your passport is your key to a new one. Pictures are REQUIRED but some Embassy's/consulates will take them for you. Other than transport and possibly a couple of days hotel bills, unless you had to fly a LONG ways, I can't imagine it costing much more than $6-800 for two and most of that would be hotel bills and cheapo transport to an Embassy or Consulate.

I don't know where you got that figure. Replacement passports are cheap. A lot depends on how well prepared you are to get a new one. The copy of your passport is your key to a new one. Pictures are REQUIRED but some Embassy's/consulates will take them for you. Other than transport and possibly a couple of days hotel bills, unless you had to fly a LONG ways, I can't imagine it costing much more than $6-800 for two and most of that would be hotel bills and cheapo transport to an Embassy or Consulate.

Tom's port guides. He relates a personal story of losing a passport on a Friday in a city away from an embassy. I can see it being very expensive. Last minute hotel reservations for a couple of nights, flight change fees (if they have a seat available at your price point) and the city you happen to be in at the time have a lot to with price.

Moral of the story - Don't lose the passport, but be prepared if you do...

We think you are living in a dream world. Assume you lost a Passport in a European or Asian port. You would normally need to replace that Passport before you could continue on your cruise. That means you need to get to a US Consulate which might not even be in the port.....and do this at your own expense. So you have transportation at the last minute which is often expensive. You will often have to stay in the city of the Consul for at least 2 days (could be more if this happens on a weekend) at your own expense while you wait to get an emergency replacement passport. Once you have that Passport you either need to get yourself (at your own expense) back to your ship which may be in a totally different country.....or get yourself home. The cost of all this can easily run into the many thousands of dollars.

Hank

• 3 weeks later...

An informative thread, thank you for so many intelligent and interesting comments.

Personally, we are very pleased using http://www.theinsurancestore.com over the course of many years - an independent agency that vets trip insurance policies and has a small staff that are knowledgeable, experienced and happy to discuss various insurers and trip insurance policies. You call & speak directly to an impartial rep who will spend considerable time discussing your oddball needs. I just spent an hour on a call with the owner, Steve Dassios, on our 35 day cruise March 2014.

After many cruises and policies, fortunately I have never had to file a claim. Balancing risk/loss, we annually purchase MedJet evac coverage along with specific cruise coverage for medical and cancellation/interruption coverage using Travel Guard, Travelex or CSA through the insurance store.

I appreciate knowing the insurer is reputable and solvent and the agency is both independent and well-versed in the products (and problems) being purchased by their customers. I don't want just a quote from a web site. I do want advice from a human being that will assist me in making an informed decision.

An informative thread, thank you for so many intelligent and interesting comments.

Personally, we are very pleased using www.theinsurancestore.com over the course of many years - an independent agency that vets trip insurance policies and has a small staff that are knowledgeable, experienced and happy to discuss various insurers and trip insurance policies. You call & speak directly to an impartial rep who will spend considerable time discussing your oddball needs. I just spent an hour on a call with the owner, Steve Dassios, on our 35 day cruise March 2014.

After many cruises and policies, fortunately I have never had to file a claim. Balancing risk/loss, we annually purchase MedJet evac coverage along with specific cruise coverage for medical and cancellation/interruption coverage using Travel Guard, Travelex or CSA through the insurance store.

I appreciate knowing the insurer is reputable and solvent and the agency is both independent and well-versed in the products (and problems) being purchased by their customers. I don't want just a quote from a web site. I do want advice from a human being that will assist me in making an informed decision.

We also use tripinsurancestore.com and like them for all the reasons you have stated:)

I agree. I just had a problem with Allianz and a car rental. I don't generally buy insurance because when I go on business trips, the company insurance covers rental cars. BUT I went on a personal trip and since the vehicles I drive daily are furnished by my company and covered by the commercial insurance policy, I didn't want a claim against that commercial insurance for the company if I wrecked the car so I bought the $36 policy for 4 days with Allianz through Hotwire. The insurance company could easily deny the claim because I was NOT on company business.

When I arrived the Kansas City airport, Dollar rent a car was CLOSED (just after midnight). The guy was still there closing out the cash register and doing paperwork but he said he couldn't give me a car until 5AM. So I walked over to Alamo and Avis. I had already called both Hotwire and the after hours number at Allianz to notify them.

Hotwire stated they would IMMEDIATELY refund my money. Allianz gave me some BS story that I had to send them email and then they would decide whether my insurance was going to be refunded. All I wanted them to do was transfer it to whatever car rental I got at midnight. NO, NO, NO. I even had the policy with me and spent 5 minutes reading through it. All it stated was FULL SIZE car. Didn't reference a specific car rental company but did reference the Hotwire reservation.

I can be very vindictive in business dealings and I am a non practicing transportation attorney. We just might end up in small claims court over that $36.00.

My guess is Hotwire will give you some kind of credit/refund for goodwill.

I thought airport locations were suppose to extend their hours to accommodate delayed flights. That's complaint number 1. I understand you got a refund but telling you to wait until 5a is poor customer service.

I was pricing a rental car in Mexico through a third party site. They were offering insurance through Alliantz. The insurance would have had to be paid at the time of the reservation. It was made clear, if you clicked through and read the "fine print", the insurance was treated like trip insurance. I wouldn't get a refund if I cancelled my car.

My guess is Hotwire will give you some kind of credit/refund for goodwill.

I thought airport locations were suppose to extend their hours to accommodate delayed flights. That's complaint number 1. I understand you got a refund but telling you to wait until 5a is poor customer service.

I was pricing a rental car in Mexico through a third party site. They were offering insurance through Alliantz. The insurance would have had to be paid at the time of the reservation. It was made clear, if you clicked through and read the "fine print", the insurance was treated like trip insurance. I wouldn't get a refund if I cancelled my car.

Hi Lookingforfacts,

Be careful when getting a third party collision damage waiver for a rental car in Mexico. Many plans specifically exclude coverage when renting in Mexico as well as other countries.

The ones that come to mind are Ireland, Jamaica, Italy and Israel. Coverage is not applicable where precluded by law or in violation of the territorial terms of the rental agreement or prohibited by individual merchants. For example, Ireland has some kind of government regulation against foreign insurance.

I hope this helps you.

Steve Dasseos

Apologies - we are happy customers of the "Trip Insurance Store." I have edited my post to be accurate & fair below. I can't comment on the agency in my post above as we have not used them. I should have said:

"Personally, we are very pleased using http://www.tripinsurancestore.com over the course of many years - an independent agency that vets trip insurance policies and has a small staff that are knowledgeable, experienced and happy to discuss various insurers and trip insurance policies. You call & speak directly to an impartial rep who will spend considerable time discussing your oddball needs. I just spent an hour on a call with the owner, Steve Dasseos, on our 35 day cruise March 2014."

Hi Lookingforfacts,

Be careful when getting a third party collision damage waiver for a rental car in Mexico. Many plans specifically exclude coverage when renting in Mexico as well as other countries.

The ones that come to mind are Ireland, Jamaica, Italy and Israel. Coverage is not applicable where precluded by law or in violation of the territorial terms of the rental agreement or prohibited by individual merchants. For example, Ireland has some kind of government regulation against foreign insurance.

I hope this helps you.

Steve Dasseos

I decided against renting a car.

The booking site

http://www.getrentalcar.com/

was offering the Alliantz policy as an option. I clicked through and read the policy. There is no exclusion for Mexico. There is an exclusion for Ireland, Israel and Jamaica. They aren't offering the Alliantz policy for a reservation in Ireland.

• 3 months later...