Black Cab from Heathrow to Hotel on Bath Road

SF

Does anyone know what it would approximately cost to get a black cab at Heathrow to a hotel on Bath Road nearby (approx. 1 mile away). Really not interested in the public bus transportation or any mode of transportation that would make various stops even though it would be cheaper.

Also, do they have taxi's at Heathrow that can accommodate 4 people and about 4 suitcases and some carry on's?

We're trying to see if it would be better to pre-book a MPV from a company or use one/two black cabs.

I think I am right in saying that Heathrow is the only place where a black cab can refuse to take a fare - especially if it is a slow day and it means the cabbie rejoining a very long slow moving line to pickup people.

To be fair to the grumpy moaning drivers at Heathrow, they have to pay just to be there:

6.1. At Heathrow Airport, there are taxi ranks serving all main terminals and every taxi accessing a rank needs to pass through the taxi feeder park. Heathrow Airport Limited (HAL) charge a fee for entering the taxi feeder park to cover the administration and maintenance costs of operating the feeder park.

6.2. The current fee for drivers entering the taxi feeder park is £6.00, this was reduced from £6.54 in April 2012 but is due to increase by 10 pence to £6.10 in April 2013.

6.3. To compensate drivers for having to pay this fee, a ‘Heathrow Extra’ is charged to passengers for every taxi journey that starts from Heathrow Airport. At present, the Heathrow extra is £2.40 per trip.

This means that there is no profit at all in picking up passengers for such a short trip. They may also have waited an hour or more and you are returning them to the back of the queue.

This does not apply on the return, so a local taxi will take you into the airport quite happily.

You could face them out (they can't refuse you) or get the Hoppa bus service. Pre-booking a car is an sensible option and you could try these three local services: http://www.hounslowminicab.co.uk http://www.alpharadiocars.com or http://www.ambassadorcarsmiddlesex.co.uk

To be fair to the grumpy moaning drivers at Heathrow, they have to pay just to be there:

This means that there is no profit at all in picking up passengers for such a short trip. They may also have waited an hour or more and you are returning them to the back of the queue.

I believe that for a trip as short as this, they are eligible to ask the dispatcher for a ticket to enable them to bypass the queue when they get back. I don't know if they have to pay again, though.

It's when they go a fraction further (say, to Hounslow), that they'll get really grumpy.

I think I am right in saying that Heathrow is the only place where a black cab can refuse to take a fare - especially if it is a slow day and it means the cabbie rejoining a very long slow moving line to pickup people.

Not true. In fact the obligation to take a fare is more onerous at LHR as the distance may be up to 20 miles, as opposed to 12 normally.

I believe that for a trip as short as this, they are eligible to ask the dispatcher for a ticket to enable them to bypass the queue when they get back. I don't know if they have to pay again, though.

It's when they go a fraction further (say, to Hounslow), that they'll get really grumpy.

It used to be if they could get back on airport within an hour, I think. But I don't know how it works now, with all the disputes between the cabbies who do and don't belong to the company that has the agreement with Heathrow about the taxi desks in the terminals. Can. Of. Worms.

It used to be if they could get back on airport within an hour, I think. But I don't know how it works now, with all the disputes between the cabbies who do and don't belong to the company that has the agreement with Heathrow about the taxi desks in the terminals. Can. Of. Worms.

I was amazed at all the argy bargy going on when I researched this. I think that pre-booking a car is probably the best solution as they do not have to queue or pay.

Archived