Progresso (what a joke) Mexico

We were in Progresso in March and were looking for a taxi to take our family of five to Merida. A helpful gentleman told us where the bus station was. For less than $20 round trip we took a bus from Progresso to Merida. It was a real "Mexican" experience for our three kids. In Merida we took a horse-drawn carriage tour, shopped and ate lunch. Then we went back to Progresso on the bus. A day like that is probably not for everyone. We are experienced travelers (back-packed in Europe for 3 months in our twenties) but our kids haven't traveled much. They really got a sense of the "difference" of Mexico. I think that being open to adventure and willing to go beyond your comfort zone is one of the best ways to enjoy travel.

Now THIS is why I go on vacation to another country. I don't go to shop at exclusive department stores, I don't go to be pampered in an up-market spa, and I don't go expecting to be able to stay in my bubble and not smell the locals.

Your visit to Progreso sounds absolutely ideal and the perfect way to treat this port of call. Personally - the idea of a horse drawn carriage ride through an old city, some lunch and shopping sounds SPECTACULAR to me right now!!!

Thanks for the report. We are going on the Elation next January (see my counter below) - and our stops are Progreso and Cozumel. Can't wait!!

..Trin..

Archived