Money Question

margord

What is the best way to pay for things in Austraiia and NZ? Should we convert our US money to Austrailian? Can we uset raveller's checks? Of course, I know charging is an easy way to go, but sometimes you just need cash.

Charging is best and most places take charge cards.

You'll need a little cash for "walking around" money. Best to just get it from an ATM. There are plenty of ATM's connected to the big banks, so getting cash is not a problem. You'll get a better rate than if you convert american money.

I always take $200. in travelers checks with me, "just in case". I've been carrying them in my passport for 5 years now and still have never needed to use them. I just like knowing they are there. :)

We're going to Australia for our 6th visit in Feb. and we've never had a hard time getting cash.

Jane

What is the best way to pay for things in Austraiia and NZ? Should we convert our US money to Austrailian? Can we uset raveller's checks? Of course, I know charging is an easy way to go, but sometimes you just need cash.

NZ and AUS are becoming cash less societies. Here in NZ we all use EFTPOS [electronic funds transfer at point of sale] This is a direct debit card stright from your own bank account. However nearly all operators will take the main two credit cards [VISA and Mastercard] so you can use this system. AMEX and DINERS are not so well accepted.

There are ATM's at most shopping centres so cash out from these if you need some readies.

Have a great trip. Regards ian

Yes, you can cash Traveller's checks at the hotels or at any bank.

Credit cards are very popular over here. Mastercard, Bankcard and Visa are accepted everywhere. Amex and Diners are not so popular due to the high rates the Merchants have to pay.

We have ATM's everywhere. Outside banks or inside for that matter, at big shopping centres etc. Cash is still the most popular way of buying goods and Australian dollars is our currency. Shopkeepers will not accept money from any other country.

Jennie

Archived