Seavis vs Proexcursion to Saona Island

It looks like both Seavis and Proexcursion run a pretty similar excursion for the same price. Seavis seems to have several boats full where Proexcursion just has the one. I'm just wondering what the differences are and does Seavis provide anything that Proexcursion does not? We will be travelling with our two kids 11 and 14.

Sorry I can't compare but I just want to let you know that we loved our day with Seavis, one of our favorite excursions ever. We're returning to spend a week at Dreams Bayahibe and we willt ake a couple of their other excursions then. PE is also regarded well from what I can tell, but look closely at Seavis as they have an excellent staff and the taxi option works well.

Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Easy entry and exit from the boats when beached at Bayahibe and Saona. When in 2 ft of water a little more of a chore but not that bad.

I don't know where pro goes, I would guess the same beach as Seavis since the others are further away. Carnival uses that beach too but they are in a different section so it's just the Seavis group with you.

• 5 weeks later...

To those who have taken a Seavis tour and experienced a bad land transfer please read the post on the link below before you write any reviews.

Thankyou

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40163558#post40163558

Excerpt from the above post written by Seavis:

“The company we use to transport our clients is an independent company called Taxi Casa de Campo. This company is not part of Seavis. We are forced to use this company whether we like it or not. No other taxi company is allowed to pick up cruise ship clients in or even close to the port (1 mile). The taxi coordinator is responsible to get the clients in the right taxi's to get people to their destinations. The coordinators work for the port. This means it is in their best interest NOT to help us/you and to push and sell the excursions affiliated with cruise ship.

Seavis is not affiliated with the cruise ship (in that way we can offer a high quality, all-inclusive excursion for a lower price). We are not allowed to have a representative in the port. No one is allowed to wear our recognizable T-shirt or show any sign that they work with Seavis.

We are constantly looking for an alternative form of transport for our clients but our hands are tied.

The port and the cruise authorities do everything they can to give us a bad name, it is in their interest to sell their own excursions. They make the transportation very hard for us on purpose even though we pay them double than any other taxi company would ask for the transportation. They have the monopoly and we HAVE to use them, we have NO other choice.

Any bad review we have ever gotten from cruise ship clients have been about the transportation and not about our actual excursion. Proof of this can be seen on Cruise Critic and Tripadvisor.

The port tries to sabotage the independent tour operators with hope that in the future all clients will book through the cruise ship.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience, we have been in contact with the taxi company to improve their service.”

• 4 weeks later...

did pro excursions last week. thought the mangroves and snorkeling were not that interesting but Saona was a great beach, as picturesque as Tahiti. I did find getting into out of the boat somewhat of a challenge though. Finding the right taxi wasn't easy either so try to go with a group.

did pro excursions last week. thought the mangroves and snorkeling were not that interesting but Saona was a great beach, as picturesque as Tahiti. I did find getting into out of the boat somewhat of a challenge though. Finding the right taxi wasn't easy either so try to go with a group.

What was the difficulty with getting in and out of the boat? We found that to be a breeze

• 3 weeks later...

I usually love every excursion I do; however, I cannot recommend Seavis to anyone. We went the first week in Nov. and Seavis had three or four boats. They were packed like sardines. Boarding the boat is easy, but once people sit down, you can't get past them in the aisle. We barely saw the magroves and the beach was nothing special. Snorkeling was not good. So many boats beaching stirred up so much sand that you could hardly see. I swam further out to an old dock and saw maybe six fish total. It was rough and I was fine, but some people were struggling. I do have to say that the food was very good and plentiful. When we went to see the star fish garden, there was one star fish. One. I will not do this tour again. I was not impressed.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your day. We didn't take the excursion to snorkel but we thought the natural beach was gorgeous and the starfish stop and mangroves were also excellent. Everyone in the 2 boats we went in raved about the experience and the staff. So just different expectations perhaps.

We're returning for a 2-week stay and will be taking their full-day excursion and we'll report on that.

Edited by blue_water

• 2 months later...

We did this tour last November. Definitely NOT too pleased with it. Let me begin with this is the first time I've written a negative review of a cruise excursion, so I'm not too hard to please. I'll give a few details so as to appear objective.

1. We were told there would be someone at the terminal with our names and would direct us to the correct van to bring us to their tour office. Did not happen. In fact, it was utter chaos. We were nervous about getting on the wrong bus that may not get us to where we wanted to go. And the transfer was something we paid an extra $15/pp for also. Finally, several of us decided to proceed together and we explained to the driver that we were going to the ProExcursions tour Co. Anyway, we did get there finally.

2. When we got there, we waited, and we waited some more. We did meet some very nice young people who worked for the company. After almost an hour, we were directed (35 of us) to a boat that would likely be rated in the U.S. for no more than 15 people. Packed like sardines doesn't even begin to describe. The tour guide was a very personable young man. He was obviously trying to do the best with what the company gives him to work with. There were no appropriate life preservers for small kids either, which made me a little uneasy, even though I didn't have any kids there. My husband and I decided we'd look out for those parents with multiple kids in the event of any mishaps.

3. We took a ride past some minor sites, and then went to an island which did have some very nice palms and chairs. They provided a tasty lunch, and this was enjoyable. they did provide punch and cold beer also. There were numerous vendors which would approach every 5 seconds. I was reading a book, so I really didn't get approached too much. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the fact that locals have to make a living, and I'm cool with this at a public beach, but when I've paid $65/per person to go to a "private beach" I do not wish to be approached by vendors every 5 seconds.

4. After we packed ourselves back in the boat, we went to a place that appeared to be remnants of a pier or something with some old concrete pilings where we were "invited" to snorkel if we'd like. First, no one was given any fins, and people would just jump in with about 4 or 5 other boats in the water too. I think about 7 or 8 from our boat jumped in. All in all, as avid snorkelers and divers, this was a potential danger on so many levels. Boats in and out with swimmers in the water everywhere. Fortunately, everyone stayed safe. Once back to the tour office, we were driven back to the cruise terminal, and did feel a little shortchanged for what we had paid in comparison to other cruise excursions we've booked over the years. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, just wanted to say nice pictures. The place definitely looks beautiful. Were you guys just lucky to see starfish or most people get the opportunity. You have a good camera and just wondering how easy is it to take an SLR without any big lense for this excursion?

Thanks.

Hi, just wanted to say nice pictures. The place definitely looks beautiful. Were you guys just lucky to see starfish or most people get the opportunity. You have a good camera and just wondering how easy is it to take an SLR without any big lense for this excursion?

Thanks.

Thanks! I think the starfish are abundant. You just have to wade around in about 2-3 acres to find them. The hunt makes it even more fun. Our boat probably found around 15-20.

I did take my DSLR with me and took some photos while on the island. However, I used my point and shoot while on the boat, snorkeling, and at the starfish stop. I kept my DSLR in a ziplock bag, in another plastic bag, in my water resistant backpack for the boat ride.

• 2 months later...

We took the Seavis tour last week and were very pleased with it. The price and what you get (lunch, drinks) compared to the ships price and what you get (no lunch, no drinks for about $40 more pp) was a bargain. The island was beautiful and the area with the starfish was just amazing.

The Seavis Carnival Saona Island Excursion, $65pp - This tour is in motorboats, generally 2 boats at a time. Not a problem getting in and out for most folks, anyone well overweight or with mobility issues may have a hard time at the Natural Pool where you see starfish and have rum. Excellent day and fun ride in these boats, the kids would love this one. You enjoy a great lunch and the beautiful Catuano Beach then head for the Natural Pool. We loved this one!

Pro Excursions offers a couple good options -

VIP Catamaran Sail, $139pp but worth it - This is indeed a luxury 70' cat, we enjoyed being on the Quetzal last week on the Catalina Island/Casa de Campo/river excursion.

Note that you don't go to the fishing village of Mano Juan or to the Canto de la Playa beach, but you do go to a very gorgeous Catuano Beach where you have lunch then on to the Natural Pool.

I would choose this one if you want a more relaxing day on a luxury cat and the the time works for you. 4 bathrooms and a huge net in front to lay on and an excellent crew.

Canto de la Playa & Mano Juan, $99pp - A smaller 45' motorized cat that takes you to the fishing village of Mano Juan and to the Canto de la Playa beach. So you have a chance to see the village and have lunch there before moving on to Canto de la Playa beach.

For the best snorkeling either of these can be good, although the aquarium and the wall off Catalina Island is preferred.

• 4 weeks later...

We had booked the Sonoa island excursion through Pro Excursions. As directed we took a large taxi from the port to Bayahabe where met at the Pro Excursion building. Nadine was at the door to check us in. We waited until all of the passengers arrived for our tour before boarding a speed boat for Sonoa. The office was a shaded building with bathrooms and there was coffee, water and cake available while we waited. They also have a small gift shop with scarves, tshirts, etc.

Our guide today was Jessica along with our boat crew. The excursion took us out to Sonoa island. On the way we stopped at a beach area for 20 minutes to snorkel. The snorkel area was an old pier that was destroyed during hurricane David in the early 70's. Lots of small fish and a nice quick stop for a dip.

Next they took us through the mangroves as Jessica provided a little information about how mangroves evolve. After we headed to the secluded beach on Sonoa. There were nice cushioned beach chairs along the beach both in the shade and the sun. The water is crystal clear. We had about 40 mins before lunch was ready. The bar had beer, rum, water and soda available included. There are locals there selling massages and coconuts. I did get a fresh coconut to eat for $3. The gentleman chopped it up perfectly to drink some of the milk and then to eat the meat. Delicious!

Lunch was provided as a buffet. There were nice tables set up, however I did get a few mosquito bites while sitting under the trees during our lunch. Lunch choices were pork chops, saffron chicken or fish with salad, pasta or potatoes. Some fruit and coffee for dessert. The pork chops were very good.

There are facilities available during your stay with a fresh water shower and a small shop to purchase local crafts.

In total we had about two hours on the beach before we packed up for our next stop.

Last stop was the "Natural pool". A four foot deep sand bar area where you can wade in the water and look for sea stars. Also our crew provided beverages during this stop. Of course rum drinks were flowing freely.

The crew was wonderful and took great care of us.

We would recommend this trip to anyone. We had our 7 year old son with us and he enjoyed it as well.

which company goes to a more secluded beach?

The Seavis motorboats and the Pro Excursions motorboats both go to Catuano Beach which is the closer beach to Bayahibe.

The Pro Excursions motorized catamaran goes to Canto de la Playa near the fishing village of Mano Juan which is further away than Catauno Beach. The map on the Pro E site helps show the beaches, Catauno is not labeled but it is where the pier ruins are located. Canto de la Playa would be considered more secluded, but Catuano is also very nice and quiet except for your fellow guests.

The motorized cat is smaller and faster and can make it to Canto de la Playa and back but I don't know if that is available as a cruise ship excursion.

So both the Saona and the Pro E motorboar excursions are excellent. We enjoyed our day on Saona with Seavis, and we enjoyed our day on Catalina with Pro E.