?On Deck for the Cure?

Hello, sitting here in my T-shirt from a past HAL cruise wondering if there is still a On Deck for the Cure walk? I leave next Saturday on the Maasdam.

thanks.

As of a few months ago it became "On Deck for the Cause" and supported breast cancer charities in general, not specifically Komen. I'm pretty sure it is still going (and plan to participate on the Veendam). I haven't seen any recent reports but think we would have heard a lot if it stopped.

Roy

There was not one on the Maasdam 2 weeks ago. I had bought a tshirt last year on the Veendam, even though I did not do the walk, and I was disappointed to see that they did not have it. I had heard that Holland had donated over 1 million dollars since its inception.

Susan B. (or G.?) Komen really screwed up this one. It's too bad that the potential recipients of the donations are losing out because of the ridiculous political leanings of the leadership of the Susan Komen Foundation.

Scott & Karen

Susan B. (or G.?) Komen really screwed up this one. It's too bad that the potential recipients of the donations are losing out because of the ridiculous political leanings of the leadership of the Susan Komen Foundation.

Scott & Karen

Agree 100 percent, not to mention that the director of the foundation makes a 6 figure salary:mad:

On our November/December 2012 New Zealand cruise I was so disappointed in the handling of the 5K that I wrote to Seattle when I returned. Someone, started the walk, halfheartedly and once it started the only HAL employee we saw was the dining room steward (I think) pouring pink lemonade and refilling cookie plates. This was right after the Susan Komen/Planned Parenthood debacle and I wondered if it had something to do with that.

I got an email back from HAL (unfortunately, I must not have saved it) telling me that they were still very much involved in this program, and committed to it. I was told they would contact the appropriate people on the ship to rectify the lack of participation.

Very shortly thereafter, the announcement was made that it would no longer be "On Deck for the Cure", as discussed above. There was an announcement of several, worldwide organizations that would benefit from the money raised, and Komen was not on that list. I believe, and will always believe, it was EXACTLY the PP problem that caused this change.

Now, reading that several ships have no walk at all saddens me greatly. As someone who has had at least 11 close relatives (grandmothers, aunts, uncle, mother, father, brother) affected by several difference cancers, this has been a way for me to make my ultra indulgent vacation count for something other than my own pleasure. I will be very unhappy if there is no 5K on my December cruise.

Here is the fact sheet for the new "On Deck for a Cause"

ON DECK FOR A CAUSE™ FACT SHEET

WHO

Holland America Line and the Holland America Line Foundation continue to

take the fight against cancer to the high seas with On Deck for a Cause, a

non-competitive 5k fundraising walk on each sailing. This program,

announced in February 2013, gives guests the choice to support cancer

organizations in North America, Europe and Australia: Cancer Council

Australia, Canadian Cancer Society, Deutsche Krebshilfe (German Cancer

Aid), KWF Kankerbestrijding (Dutch Cancer Society), Cancer Research UK

and American Cancer Society.

WHAT

Guests of all ages are invited to donate $20 to the Holland America Line

Foundation, with a minimum of 80 percent ($16) being distributed to the

organizations. The remaining 20% will cover program and administrative

expenses. On a day at sea, participants are invited to join in a 5k walk around

the ship’s wide teak decks. Guests may walk less or not at all, as they prefer.

Participants will also receive an On Deck for a Cause T-shirt and wristband,

and a reception follows the walk. Depending on the ship, the distance to reach

5k ranges from nine to 12 laps.

WHERE

Aboard the entire Holland America Line fleet of 15 ships there will be

approximately 500 On Deck for a Cause walks per year on cruises worldwide.

WHY

Holland America Line and its corporate foundation’s charitable giving

programs include cash sponsorships, in-kind donations, shipboard events,

free- and reduced-fare cruise donations for nonprofit fundraising events,

donations of usable shipboard items around the world, employee volunteerism

and other philanthropic activities.

The goal of On Deck for a Cause is to raise significant funds for cancer

research, education, screening and treatment programs through the

engagement of shipboard guests.

LAPS

Maasdam, Prinsendam, Ryndam, Statendam, Veendam, Zaandam: 12 laps

PER SHIP

Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Volendam: 11 laps

Westerdam, Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Noordam, Eurodam, Nieuw

Amsterdam: 9

Nearly 500 On Deck for a Cause events will occur across the Holland America

Line fleet in the coming year, with walks taking place on cruises globally

including the Mediterranean, Caribbean, South Pacific, Alaska’s Inside

Passage, Mexico, Asia, the Baltic, Australia, New Zealand, South America

and even Antarctica.

Cancer Council Australia, visit

Canadian Cancer Society, visit

Deutsche Krebshilfe (German Cancer Aid), visit

Dutch Cancer Society), visit

http://dutchcancersociety.org

Cancer Research UK, visit

Just musing here....but I wonder if it depends on the Cruise Director? We once had one that turned up almost 30 minutes late to start the walk, along with his assistant. I honestly can't remember if we did one on the Zuiderdam last year - I have several of those t-shirts, collected over the years. But I'm almost sure there was one during that cruise.

Personally, I was quite happy that it became "Walk for a Cause" and not specific to Susan G. Komen.

While the first Walk in which I participated was rather disorganized--the CD was not certain how many times we were to walk around the deck--subsequent walks were quite well planned. Most cruise directors gave recognition to participating survivors, and many also led us in warm ups, cheered us as we finished each lap, etc.

Because of the PP issue, I would not have walked on our last cruise last October, but I cannot remember whether it was scheduled.

There was not one on the Maasdam 2 weeks ago. I had bought a tshirt last year on the Veendam, even though I did not do the walk, and I was disappointed to see that they did not have it. I had heard that Holland had donated over 1 million dollars since its inception.

I always thought it was the passengers who donated the money or did HAL match those contributions?

In addition to the PP issue and the CEO's $400-500K salary, remember also that Komen gives <30% of their donations to actual research, AND sues anyone who dares to use the phrase "for the cure" in their fund-raising efforts.

I've never done a Komen event, and never will...but I am disappointed that On Deck for the CAUSE apparently isn't being done.

Just musing here....but I wonder if it depends on the Cruise Director? We once had one that turned up almost 30 minutes late to start the walk, along with his assistant. I honestly can't remember if we did one on the Zuiderdam last year - I have several of those t-shirts, collected over the years. But I'm almost sure there was one during that cruise.

Personally, I was quite happy that it became "Walk for a Cause" and not specific to Susan G. Komen.

Really, it shouldn't depend on the CD ... if HAL Seattle announces the Walk for the Cause will be fleetwide, it should not be an option for onboard people to neglect this fundraising and awareness activity. You'd think someone in Seattle would be wondering where the Walk donations are from various ships and sailings. Or perhaps the PR announcement, and the surrounding publicity, is more important to HAL than the actual activity?

As a fourteen year survivor of breast cancer, survivor of chemotherapy, radiation, and many surgeries I am HUGELY disappointed. It isn't too much to ask, and HAL needs to enforce their stated commitment to raising funds.

I noticed that there wasn't any Walk For The Cause on my June Maasdam cruise, and wondered at the time.

Just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if there's more to the missing Walks than meets the eye. Is there something going on in the background that prevents HAL from sponsoring the Walk until details are worked out. Among those "something"s, could the Komen Foundation be fighting the change in sponsorship?

In addition to the PP issue and the CEO's $400-500K salary, remember also that Komen gives <30% of their donations to actual research, AND sues anyone who dares to use the phrase "for the cure" in their fund-raising efforts.

I've never done a Komen event, and never will...but I am disappointed that On Deck for the CAUSE apparently isn't being done.

I am currently fighting breast cancer (surgery and 5 of 6 chemo treatments behind me with a good prognosis- Yea!) and have not and will not support Komen for the reasons BeagleOne has stated. But I do hope HAL will continue to support breast cancer research with the On Deck for the CAUSE program.

I'm also a neighbor of the recently departed Komen employee who caused the most current bad publicity for Komen for her own political agenda which was always her intent when she went with Komen. She is now funding her latest GA political campaign with a book about how she has been so badly treated and misunderstood, btw.

Archived