Time change on a Canadian Cruise

We are on the Glory, leaving in a few days, visiting Halifax, Saint Johns and Sydney. I live in the NY area, Eastern Daylight Time. Is there a time change on this cruise?

I am in the process of typing up our itinerary for our family and do not want them calling us while we at sea. Do we move into a later time zone, which would make the time an hour later from our NY time (I hope I got that right).

Do we move the clocks at all during this cruise?

Cheers

Len

Thanks for the info. I also believe they tell you to stay on ship's time, but for calling, it might present a problem. If we leave at 5:00PM Atlantic time, it would be 4:00 NY time. If they think they have till 5:00PM to call, then we would already be out to sea.

Anyway, thanks for the updates.

Cheers

Len

We are on the Glory, leaving in a few days, visiting Halifax, Saint Johns and Sydney. I live in the NY area, Eastern Daylight Time. Is there a time change on this cruise?

I am in the process of typing up our itinerary for our family and do not want them calling us while we at sea. Do we move into a later time zone, which would make the time an hour later from our NY time (I hope I got that right).

Do we move the clocks at all during this cruise?

Cheers

Len

Halifax, Sydney and Saint John N.B. are all on Atlantic time which is one hr. earlier than New York. I.E. New York is behind so noon in Halifax is 11:00 am in new York. St. John's newfoundland is a special case as it is 90 minutes ahead of New York! Ships normally change their clocks accordingly.

Halifax, Sydney and Saint John N.B. are all on Atlantic time which is one hr. earlier than New York. I.E. New York is behind so noon in Halifax is 11:00 am in new York. St. John's newfoundland is a special case as it is 90 minutes ahead of New York! Ships normally change their clocks accordingly.

Apparently not all ships change their clocks

I never understood why they did not

I think it would be more confusing

that was the point I was looking for. So if I write down my itinerary and it says we are in port till 5:00PM, it will really be 4:00PM in NY. If my children try and call at 5:00 NY time, thinking they will get us before the ship leaves, we will already be out to sea. I have updated the itinerary for them so this mistake will not be made (hopefully).

Cheers

Len

Nova Scotia, PEI and New Brunswick are all Atlantic Time, one hour ahead of Eastern. Newfoundland is Newfoundland time, one and half hours ahead of Eastern.

5:00pm New York (Eastern)

6:00pm Halifax,NS; Sydney,NS; St John,NB (Atlantic)

6:30pm St Johns, NF (Newfoundland)

Now, whether they switch the ship's clock or not depends on the ship.

CAUTION!!

2 years ago on the Glory we DID NOT change time from Eastern for Saint John or Halifax. We were repeatedly told to STAY ON SHIP TIME which was NYC or Eastern Daylight Time.

Pay careful attention and do not miss the boat.

Other cruise lines DO change time but I believe Carnival on their 4/5 Day runs DO NOT.

FWIW

CAUTION!!

2 years ago on the Glory we DID NOT change time from Eastern for Saint John or Halifax. We were repeatedly told to STAY ON SHIP TIME which was NYC or Eastern Daylight Time.

Pay careful attention and do not miss the boat.

Other cruise lines DO change time but I believe Carnival on their 4/5 Day runs DO NOT.

FWIW

That was, indeed, the case on the Glory 5-day we did in June. This is where a real watch comes in handy, if you go off on your own vs. a ship's excursion. Do not rely on your cell phone, as so many of us do these days, since it is possible (probable?) that it will self-adjust to local time.

Being somewhat of a cellphone Luddite, I don't know if there are ways to override this happening, but I would rather rely on a good old-fashioned wrist or pocket watch.

glory stays on ny time so if you tell your fsmily to call at 4:30 your ship will be at 4:30. do notmuse a cell phone to tell time it changes time to reflect the time zone

glory stays on ny time so if you tell your fsmily to call at 4:30 your ship will be at 4:30. do notmuse a cell phone to tell time it changes time to reflect the time zone

Absolutely do not use you cell to tell time while st sea. Cell phones at sea connect thru the ship to a satellite and that satellite time may be 8 hours different then where you are. This happened on one of my cruises where the CD had to make announcements about this he had so many compliants.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

Archived