Brazil Visas

Jalex63

My husband and I went to the Brazilian consulate in Miami this week (10/2/2013) to submit our applications for visas. We live in Jacksonville, FL and must use the Miami consulate. We flew to Miami (I had business there and my husband accompanied me). The consulate accepts applications between 10 AM and 12 Noon Monday through Friday. You must be in the consulate room at 12:00 or you will not be able to submit your application. No appointments are necessary and, as a matter of fact, I could not find a way to make the appointment. Make sure you understand the paperwork requirements; it is quite tedious but the website is clear about what is required. It is amazing when you get there. You can only pay by cash (through a bank ATM--more about that in a second) or a US Postal Service money order. We had cash; there is a Bank of Brazil ATM in the room and we were able to deposit our money and get our receipt with our name on the receipt. This is what we gave to the person processing visas.

We arrived about 10:45 and were called to the window at 12:45. By the way, we saw many people turned away because they did not have the proper paperwork or couldn't use the ATM to pay in cash. I had spent time understanding the requirements through the website and had all of the required paperwork. We spent about 7-10 minutes at the window and completed the process. We left our passports for "processing" (getting the visas into the passports) which would take 10 business days. They would mail us our passports provided that we gave them a US Post Office overnight delivery envelope so they could mail them to us.

I agree the process is tedious. I sweated the details and I am glad I did as I saw so many people turned away in order to complete the paperwork or to have the right amount of cash to pay for the visas. I recognize that other Brazilian consulates are not so demanding; it is the luck of the draw which one you are assigned to (geography) and what their requirements are. Fortunately, we had all of the paperwork, had filled out all of the forms required and will have our passports back in 10 business days (fingers crossed!).

You no longer have to go in person to the Miami Consulate. However, they are very clear that in person applications are processed more rapidly than mailed applications. Since I had business in Miami any way and my husband didn't complain about making the trip we made it in person.

And now I can look forward to our trip once we go to the Argentinian website to pay our reciprocity fee! At least that one can be done online!

I would not give up this trip because I don't like the visa process. There is some justice in their requiring the same detail we require from Brazilian citizens. I am just glad I can visit Brazil and all of the other South American countries in December!

We received our passports in the US mail (overnight mail since we provided the envelopes at the time of application) on Wednesday, October 16 which was exactly ten business days, as they committed to, after we submitted all of the paperwork in person at the Miami Consulate. I went on line to the Brazilian website a few times in the interim to check on the processing and could see that the consulate provided an update as the application moved through the process. Glad we had a successful conclusion and have the passports back in our possession!

The NYC Consulate visa submission process was painless and very efficient. On Friday, October 11, 2013, I entered the Consulate at 10:45 am and was out in less than 10 minutes. The Consulate used a Dept. of Motor Vehicles-like electronic ticketing system. When my number was called, I submitted our passports, printed receipt pages, with photos and the postal money order. To my surprise, I did not need proof of residence or our airline/cruise itineraries. I was given a receipt and told to return the afternoon of Thursday, October 24, 2013, to pick up our passports. Everyone was very friendly and helpful--quite unusual for such a mundane and bureaucratic process.

Edited by Snackdaddy

We filled out the application online and made an appointment at the Brazilian Consulate in Houston. Arrived at the office at 10AM, walked out at 10:25AM with passports and visas in hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wow, I am glad I read this thread before we went any further in thinking about a cruise along the amazon. Our state (NM) is served by Houston and the site says no mail in for visa available (unless you pay a service to do it for you). Of course, if you have a friend, relative or colleague in Houston, they can do it for you. We don't know anyone in Houston and we aren't flying there to get a visa. I will see how much a visa service will charge but right now we are thinking it isn't worth all this aggravation--lots of other places we haven't seen.

I get this is motivated by the US doing the same to Brazil but it's still all pretty stupid, no matter who started it!!:)

ML

Wow, I am glad I read this thread before we went any further in thinking about a cruise along the amazon. Our state (NM) is served by Houston and the site says no mail in for visa available (unless you pay a service to do it for you). Of course, if you have a friend, relative or colleague in Houston, they can do it for you. We don't know anyone in Houston and we aren't flying there to get a visa. I will see how much a visa service will charge but right now we are thinking it isn't worth all this aggravation--lots of other places we haven't seen.

I get this is motivated by the US doing the same to Brazil but it's still all pretty stupid, no matter who started it!!:)

ML

Hi ML,

When we booked the 2012 Amazon Explorer we were faced with the Brazil Visa problem. I combed the consulate web site for information. The Los Angeles Consulate does not mail, and we live about 100 miles each way from the office.

We used Visa Central....Holland America's recommendation. They had a special rate. If you are flying to Brazil, Delta also had a special rate with Visa Central. I calculated that we would have saved $100 (factoring in gas and time) if we did it ourselves. Not worth it!

Visa Central worked for us and were very pleased...it took about 3 weeks. I sent the Package from the post office insured with delivery confirmation, and you could track the progress at their (Visa Central) web site. You could also call, but it was a long wait to get an agent. The company also offers a lot of unnecessary "extras" that can drive up the price. The only extra I chose was a signature when FEDEX delivered it.

You also charged all the costs to your credit card. There are a number of agencies...MY TA, plus the Brazil Consulate provided a list for your convenience. It cost about $550 for our visas, which are good for 10 years. All the complaints about the cost is getting absurd. If you can and want to go to Brazil it has to be done. Relieve stress and use and agency.

Hi ML,

When we booked the 2012 Amazon Explorer we were faced with the Brazil Visa problem. I combed the consulate web site for information. The Los Angeles Consulate does not mail, and we live about 100 miles each way from the office.

We used Visa Central....Holland America's recommendation. They had a special rate. If you are flying to Brazil, Delta also had a special rate with Visa Central. I calculated that we would have saved $100 (factoring in gas and time) if we did it ourselves. Not worth it!

Visa Central worked for us and were very pleased...it took about 3 weeks. I sent the Package from the post office insured with delivery confirmation, and you could track the progress at their (Visa Central) web site. You could also call, but it was a long wait to get an agent. The company also offers a lot of unnecessary "extras" that can drive up the price. The only extra I chose was a signature when FEDEX delivered it.

You also charged all the costs to your credit card. There are a number of agencies...MY TA, plus the Brazil Consulate provided a list for your convenience. It cost about $550 for our visas, which are good for 10 years. All the complaints about the cost is getting absurd. If you can and want to go to Brazil it has to be done. Relieve stress and use and agency.

Hi Loreto

yes, after I posted I went and looked up what it might cost to have an agency do it for us--much easier and cheaper than flying to Houston :D I found a place here in Albuquerque (I think) that will do it for $80, plus $185 for the visa (which I think is $25 more than it should be). I made a note of this and I didn't look at any other sites, I was just looking for an idea of the cost. Good to know HAL and Delta may also have options. We aren't sure what our next cruise will be. We are trying to go with some family who we will see at Thanksgiving, so we have several options to discuss--London, then a cruise to Norway, maybe Antarctica, maybe the Amazon, maybe Norway/Arctic. Lots of choices, so we need to see what they want to do. at least we have the info and can use this to help decide.

Thanks for the advice about HAL and Delta.

ML

NoWhiners, here's another rec for your research file: http://www.bcvisa.com/ This Houston-based service specializes in visas for Brazil, China and India. They are the least costly visa agent I could identify among the online vendors I checked, and they provided excellent service in every way. We sent our app. on Mon. and had Brazilian visas back by Sat.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi ML,

I concur. We got our Brazil Visa's and it was relatively straightforward using Visa Central. Princess had a link for our voyage so it was easy to get it set up. We also used CIBT/Visa Central for our trip to Peking last October on an expedited basis. It was very reliable.

I concur. We got our Brazil Visa's and it was relatively straightforward using Visa Central. Princess had a link for our voyage so it was easy to get it set up. We also used CIBT/Visa Central for our trip to Peking last October on an expedited basis. It was very reliable.

Glad to hear you used Visa Central. Now you can look forward to your cruise!:)

We are looking at a South America cruise in March that goes to Brazil. While the visa process seems tedious, it certainly doesn't seem too bad and worth it to me to get to see Brazil. We live in SC, so we will be processed through the Brazilian consulate in Atlanta. I did a lot of research yesterday, and it seems fairly straight forward. While we are only about four hours from Atlanta, I'm still thinking of doing it by mail. My only hesitation is having to send our passports. Does anyone have any experience with the Atlanta office? Has anyone ever done the mail service as opposed to in-person?

I also noted in one of the posts in this thread something about Argentina perhaps now requiring something. Is that accurate? When I spoke to the cruise line yesterday they only said that a visa was necessary for Brazil.

We are looking at a South America cruise in March that goes to Brazil. While the visa process seems tedious, it certainly doesn't seem too bad and worth it to me to get to see Brazil. We live in SC, so we will be processed through the Brazilian consulate in Atlanta. I did a lot of research yesterday, and it seems fairly straight forward. While we are only about four hours from Atlanta, I'm still thinking of doing it by mail. My only hesitation is having to send our passports. Does anyone have any experience with the Atlanta office? Has anyone ever done the mail service as opposed to in-person?

I also noted in one of the posts in this thread something about Argentina perhaps now requiring something. Is that accurate? When I spoke to the cruise line yesterday they only said that a visa was necessary for Brazil.

While I used a Visa Service, I still had to mail all our documentation and passports to the company. I sent it certified mail requesting a delivery signature. It went through with no problem. You are lucky that Atlanta will do the visa by mail. Los Angeles would not.

Yes, there is a "fee" for entering Argentina. For US citizens it is $160 each, and must be paid online through their web page. the payment is good for 10 years.

While I used a Visa Service, I still had to mail all our documentation and passports to the company. I sent it certified mail requesting a delivery signature. It went through with no problem. You are lucky that Atlanta will do the visa by mail. Los Angeles would not.

Yes, there is a "fee" for entering Argentina. For US citizens it is $160 each, and must be paid online through their web page. the payment is good for 10 years.

Thanks. I had no idea about the "fee" for Argentina. Is there any paperwork involved, too, or do they just want the money without the formalities? :)

Thanks. I had no idea about the "fee" for Argentina. Is there any paperwork involved, too, or do they just want the money without the formalities? :)

Just the money. There is a website to pay it online. Print off the receipt and take it with you.

CIBT just asked us for additional documentation (bank statement) that is not required by the San Francisco consulate. Reason is that the SF consulate is experiencing "technical difficulties" and a large backlog. Thus our application package will be forwarded to some other consulate that normally handles a different geographic area and that does require proof of finances.

CIBT did indicate that our passports will be returned by the deadline we specified (Dec 20). Best advice is don't delay starting the process for your Brazil visa -- it could take longer than you think.

Excellent advice by Shorex.

Sometimes turn around time is quick and other times it is slow and some of this varies by consulate and also time of year. This is peak time to get the visa.

The visa is good for 10 years from issuance so better to get it sooner rather than later. And you can use it if your passport expires.

Keith

CIBT just asked us for additional documentation (bank statement) that is not required by the San Francisco consulate. Reason is that the SF consulate is experiencing "technical difficulties" and a large backlog. Thus our application package will be forwarded to some other consulate that normally handles a different geographic area and that does require proof of finances.

CIBT did indicate that our passports will be returned by the deadline we specified (Dec 20). Best advice is don't delay starting the process for your Brazil visa -- it could take longer than you think.

Could you supply the name of the person that was handling your account. We need visas by the end of December and also live in the San Francisco area.

Thanks

Tom

Could you supply the name of the person that was handling your account. We need visas by the end of December and also live in the San Francisco area.

Thanks

Tom

Our agent works only specific applications rather than answer general questions.

Best to call or visit the CIBT office in San Francisco directly. Contact info is:

CIBT San Francisco

555 Montgomery Street

Suite 700

San Francisco, CA 94111

Phone: 800-929-2428 (nationwide customer service)

Phone: 415 834-9480

Walk In Hours 8:30 am to 5:00 pm

You can download specific instructions for a Brazil visa from the CIBT website. I do recommend that you start the process asap. Good luck.

We need visas by the end of December and also live in the San Francisco area.

The S.F. Consulate's website reads:

Technical Problems with Visa Scheduling System

07/11/2013 -

Due to technical problems, the web page of the Consulate General of Brazil in San Francisco is not accepting new applications for visa interviews at this moment. Those people who have already scheduled their visa appointments will not be affected and should come to the Consulate on the scheduled visa appointment date.

The Consulate will not accept new visa appointments until November 22, 2013.

I would normally suggest going to the Brazilian Consulate in person if you live in the San Francisco area. In fact, the S.F. Consulate does not accept applications by mail, so if you live within driving distance, it would usually be better to go yourself than pay an agency. However, under the circumstances above, you might be pushing it to apply when the site is functioning again for an end of December departure.

I imagine there is a backlog everywhere because of the upcoming World Cup and a rush/flood of applications right now because tickets were just released for games in the past week or so.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

I would suggest going to the Brazilian Consulate in person if you live in the San Francisco area. In fact, the S.F. Consulate does not accept applications by mail, so if you live within driving distance, you may be paying a service simply to walk-in in your place.

Instructions are here: http://sistemas.mre.gov.br/kitweb/datafiles/SaoFrancisco/en-us/file/tourist.pdf

I imagine there is a backlog everywhere because of the upcoming World Cup and a rush/flood of applications right now because tickets were just released for games in the past week or so.

Unfortunately, the SF Consulate will not take walk-ins. They require an appointment made via computer and their computer system is down until early December. The back log will be even bigger.

Unless I can find a different approach I will have to cancel my cruise.

Anyone with ideas?

Unfortunately, the SF Consulate will not take walk-ins. They require an appointment made via computer and their computer system is down until early December. The back log will be even bigger.

Unless I can find a different approach I will have to cancel my cruise.

Anyone with ideas?

1. Get your visa application package together today and walk it into CIBT in San Francisco tomorrow. Include a recent bank statement with account number blacked out.

2. They are aware of the problems with the SF consulate and will likely tell you that your application must be forwarded to another consulate. Let them handle the transfer to another consulate -- you as an individual cannot do this.

3. Tell CIBT the date that you must have passport (with new Brazil visa) returned to you. At that point you will know whether this can or cannot be done by your deadline.

1. Get your visa application package together today and walk it into CIBT in San Francisco tomorrow. Include a recent bank statement with account number blacked out.

2. They are aware of the problems with the SF consulate and will likely tell you that your application must be forwarded to another consulate. Let them handle the transfer to another consulate -- you as an individual cannot do this.

3. Tell CIBT the date that you must have passport (with new Brazil visa) returned to you. At that point you will know whether this can or cannot be done by your deadline.

I agree. I had a situation like this before and CIBT(Visa Central) took care of getting the paperwork processed through another consulate...in this case Brazil's Los Angeles consulate might process it faster, especially if you need it urgently.

We are leaving in early December for a few days in Iguazu and then on to Rio to catch the cruise. We sent our documents on August 2nd to Pinnacle Travel documents. We still have not received them I just spoke to the owner and was told that they hope to have them by the 22nd!!

Very upsetting and frustrating.

We are leaving in early December for a few days in Iguazu and then on to Rio to catch the cruise. We sent our documents on August 2nd to Pinnacle Travel documents. We still have not received them I just spoke to the owner and was told that they hope to have them by the 22nd!!

Very upsetting and frustrating.

So sorry-- I would be very stressed too. Which consulate handles your geographic area? Seems San Francisco is a mess, maybe all of them are.