Booking our first BALCONY!

We are planning on heading out on the Explorer for a second time this January.. We will be traveling with my brother and his girlfriend, and since we want a balcony and they cannot, I was thinking about going with an aft so we could share. I'm specifically looking at cabin 7388, which I know it's obstructed, but wanted to know anyone's experiences with this cabin (or similar) on this ship (or any of the voyagers'). Also, noise/movement. I've never stayed aft, and although I don't get sea sick, the weather and the Atlantic in January can be rough. Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

We are planning on heading out on the Explorer for a second time this January.. We will be traveling with my brother and his girlfriend, and since we want a balcony and they cannot, I was thinking about going with an aft so we could share. I'm specifically looking at cabin 7388, which I know it's obstructed, but wanted to know anyone's experiences with this cabin (or similar) on this ship (or any of the voyagers'). Also, noise/movement. I've never stayed aft, and although I don't get sea sick, the weather and the Atlantic in January can be rough. Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

We have been in 7388, great cabin. Obstruction was definitely viewable BUT after about 5 minutes, I NEVER noticed it, only the ocean was what I saw.

Noise: Only noise of the wake, LOVE IT!!!

Movement: Some vibration but not enough to bother us. You will find more front to back rocking in either the front of the back of the ship but again, did not bother us.

I say BOOK IT!!!! The size of the balcony will be MORE THAN ENOUGH for the four of you!!!

HAVE FUN!!!

Tim

You already have good advice.......so, book it. You will not know if you like it unless you try it. Once hooked you may never go back to any other areas of the ship.

It will provide room for you and your DB & GF to have a great time. Enjoy :)

You already have good advice.......so, book it. You will not know if you like it unless you try it. Once hooked you may never go back to any other areas of the ship.

It will provide room for you and your DB & GF to have a great time. Enjoy :)

Obviously I agree. Book it NOW, DON'T WAIT!!!

You will always 2nd guess yourself until you do it. Save the brain cells for important decisions and DO IT!!! ;)

Tim

I sailed in January in 7688 on Navigator - which I believe is the same cabin (just other corner). Absolutely loved it! I don't remember any vibration at all.

The views:

If you're looking at the ship you will see the ship:

IMG_1087_zpsdd33cde0.jpg

At night it is all lit up:

IMG_0710_zps6eea74a7.jpg

And if you're looking at the ocean, you will see the ocean:

IMG_1016_zps46c7b12b.jpg

The structure didn't bother us at all. There is also the cut-out on the side with an unobstructed view.

IMG_0770_zps8a77d419.jpg

A couple of times there were crew members down on the crew deck below. (I believe it's actually deck 5 - so two decks down) We could hear them talking but it was not a big deal. The balcony was very private.

I think you will love it!

Just booked it! Thanks so much for the encouragement and the amazing pictures! The anticipation is going to be the end of me!

Congrats! You will love having a balcony. We have our first aft balcony next year, and we're very excited!

I sailed in January in 7688 on Navigator - which I believe is the same cabin (just other corner). Absolutely loved it! I don't remember any vibration at all.

The views:

If you're looking at the ship you will see the ship:

IMG_1087_zpsdd33cde0.jpg

At night it is all lit up:

IMG_0710_zps6eea74a7.jpg

And if you're looking at the ocean, you will see the ocean:

IMG_1016_zps46c7b12b.jpg

The structure didn't bother us at all. There is also the cut-out on the side with an unobstructed view.

IMG_0770_zps8a77d419.jpg

A couple of times there were crew members down on the crew deck below. (I believe it's actually deck 5 - so two decks down) We could hear them talking but it was not a big deal. The balcony was very private.

I think you will love it!

Are the lights on the back of the ship lit up like that throughout the entire night? Is it very bright out on the balconies? We'll be in 7708 FOS.

Julie, the 2nd pic of this batch I believe is showing the sun setting on the back of the ship. By our prior experience, the lighting is not that bright on the back. Normally pretty dark except for the area on deck 5 where the crew gathers.

Tim

Julie, the 2nd pic of this batch I believe is showing the sun setting on the back of the ship. By our prior experience, the lighting is not that bright on the back. Normally pretty dark except for the area on deck 5 where the crew gathers.

Tim

Oh good. That makes sense! Thanks!

Tim

It was pretty cloudy that day so I don't think it's the sun setting so much as most of the people with their balcony drapes open and room lights on or actual balcony lights on. We had our room light on and drapes open so the balcony appears to be glowing a bit. You can see lights on down on the crew deck.

IMG_0710_zps6eea74a7.jpg

This photo shows our foggy arrival in NOLA early in the morning. Again, our room lights are on and balcony drapes open and you can see crew lights on the deck below. The lights are not really that bright. Late at night most people had their room lights off and/or their drapes closed.

NavigatoroftheSeasJan2013536_zpse4aa2015.jpg

We didn't really use the balcony light at all and, at night, it was dark and private.

Not to overthink this for you, but here is a photo of my husband checking out the Compass for the next day. Our room light is lighting the balcony, but you can see it's fairly dark out there beyond the railing. So, with the room light off, the balcony is pretty dark.

NavigatoroftheSeasJan2013448_zps9251962f.jpg

We have been in corner afts of both Freedom and Voyager class ships and the balconies are very dark unless either you have your outside light on or you have your inside lights on with the curtains open.

I personally enjoy the dark so you can look out and see the moon and stars, specifically through the round opening on the side.

Tim

We have been in corner afts of both Freedom and Voyager class ships and the balconies are very dark unless either you have your outside light on or you have your inside lights on with the curtains open.

I personally enjoy the dark so you can look out and see the moon and stars, specifically through the round opening on the side.

Tim

Exactly! Stargazing is great out of the side opening.

Explorer of the Seas was my first Royal cruise. I loved the ship, loved New Jersey and New York even though it was gloomy, not unlike Michigan in the winter time. There is no way that I would book a balcony outside of maybe, July or August. The first day and a half (outside) was a waste. I was in winter clothes. The last two days were a total bust. It was so bad on the last day that we were not permitted to go outside (doors roped off) and they had barf bags by the stairs. I felt so sorry for a woman that I met in the hall, she just wanted that cruise to end and you could see it on her face.

Video of the last sea day. Watch the front of the ship and the horizon.

For that I will have to sail again. We didn't see the moon at all the whole week we were onboard - even though we had plenty of clear nights and beautiful stars.

If we could we would book our cruise with the lunar calendar. The moon glistening off he ocean makes it appear as if the ocean is full of diamonds. It is AWESOME!!!

Tim

If we could we would book our cruise with the lunar calendar. The moon glistening off he ocean makes it appear as if the ocean is full of diamonds. It is AWESOME!!!

Tim

Now I'm going to check the calendar! Never thought about this.

Archived