Island Princess and Temperature

cruising1523

We will be taking a cruise to Alaska on the Island Princess next month and need to know if it is cold in the bedrooms, dining rooms and other venues. We are taking my elderly parents and we want to make sure they bring the appropriate clothes.

We will be taking a cruise to Alaska on the Island Princess next month and need to know if it is cold in the bedrooms, dining rooms and other venues. We are taking my elderly parents and we want to make sure they bring the appropriate clothes.

We were on the Island in May and I only took my sweater to the dining room once and did not need it there or anywhere on the ship. That being said, I know my elderly mother is often cold when others are comfortable. All they will need is an extra sweater or jacket to take to all venues, just in case.

Sue

We were on the Island in April on Panama Canal trip and we were never cold on the ship. Granted we were in hot temps outside and don't know if that had any affect on inside ac or not. There were times at night we had ac turned all the way down to lowest setting and it was still moderately warm. Been to Alaska in August on other Princess ships and only place we really needed to bundle up - and I mean bundle - was in the glacier areas such as Glacier Bay, a college Fjord, etc. other than that we had nice temps outside,and comfortable inside. Barb

I'm also cruising on the Island next month and plan to take a wrap with me for the dining room/theater. I always find I get a bit chilly there, regardless of which ship I'm sailing.

My elderly mother is always cold. It was 83 in Seattle last week and she wore long pants, tee shirt, sweatshirt and a zip up fleece, and this was in an unairconditioned house. So, I think "cold" is very subjective. I would bring lots of layers.

The covered pool area (Lotus Pool) is usually pretty comfortable for viewing scenery with well-padded lounge chairs along the outside glass. We wear shorts there. Note that on Alaska cruises you can check out some Pendleton wool blankets that help with drafts.

Glacier Bay is pretty cold, especially when windy. Bring a hooded windproof jacket. Island/Coral interior temperatures tend to be a bit cool whether in Alaska or Panama. You might want a sweater for dining and public areas. Outside can be either 45 degrees or 75 degrees - be prepared for both.

Archived