A few questions that have been rattling around in my head

suzybeezy

I keep thinking of questions, albiet some may be a little dumb, but I'm compelled to ask, as I may not be the only newbie who wonders some of these things. :) Just for info - we'll be going September to Key West, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios on Freedom.

1. Souvenirs - I want to buy a bottle of rum and a cake at port in Jamaica. How do I bring it home (traveling back both on the boat and airlines)? Do I pack it on my checked luggage or carry on? Is there a limit on how much food/alcohol one can bring back into the US? Any limitations as to what cannot be brought back into the US (per customs) - so I know what to avoid? My friend is excited to possibly buy jewelry at a cheap price - in one island better than another, or is there really no good deals to be had? From what I'm reading, one can purchase a Cuban cigar to smoke while on an island but they cannot be brought back into the US, even just one, correct?

2. Drinks- Can you bring your drinks that you brought on board (a bottle of pop or a glass of your own wine) in with you to the comedy shows or main theater shows?

3. On board games - I see people mention playing bingo, trivia games, scavenger hunt game - do these games have a cost associated with them? Are there prizes?

4. Food - I’ve seen mention of a Midnight buffet and a Chocolate Extravaganza buffet - are these available on Carnival Freedom and are they only on certain nights? Also seen mentioned somewhere about a tasting of wines/drinks/martini's - is that on a special night in a special place? Is there a cost and/or limit? I’ve seen mention of a Taste Bar but can’t find any info on what this is.

5. Travel Insurance - Is it necessary? We’ll be going in September, which I believe is hurricane season, so wondering if getting insurance may be a good idea just in case. I would assume something like a hurricane cancelling your trip would be covered? Does the cruise line offer the insurance or do you buy it independently? I believe I'd like to purchase it just to be safe, is there one you'd recommend?

Sorry for so many questions. I was saving them up to make just one post rather than making multiple posts.

1. The ship will probably collect the rum at the gangway and return it the last night. When you pack to go home, it must be in your checked luggage. There are limits on bringing liquor back, but I am not sure of the exact rules. Hopefully, someone will chime in.

2. Yes, but many lines will collect your wine at the gangway

3. Bingo has a cost and cash prizes. Most other games are free. Some have small prizes.

4. Sorry don't sail Carnival

5. Insurance is only necessary if you need it. It generally provides medical coverage outside the US. Many regular policies do not. It also covers cancellation for most illness for you, a travel companion or family back home. Emergency transport home.

Suzybeezy -- you might have better luck getting specific answers to your questions over on the Carnival Board. Also, check out the roll-call thread for your sailing, over on the Roll-Call board. That's where you can find folks who will actually be on your cruise. Happy cruising! :cool:

I keep thinking of questions, albiet some may be a little dumb, but I'm compelled to ask, as I may not be the only newbie who wonders some of these things. :) Just for info - we'll be going September to Key West, Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios on Freedom.

2. Drinks- Can you bring your drinks that you brought on board (a bottle of pop or a glass of your own wine) in with you to the comedy shows or main theater shows?

4. Food - I’ve seen mention of a Midnight buffet and a Chocolate Extravaganza buffet - are these available on Carnival Freedom and are they only on certain nights? Also seen mentioned somewhere about a tasting of wines/drinks/martini's - is that on a special night in a special place? Is there a cost and/or limit? I’ve seen mention of a Taste Bar but can’t find any info on what this is.

#4- Choc buffet is now served at lunch on the last sea day at the buffet on the lido deck the grand dessert buffets are long gone

Taste bar is just that-- a taste of a certain food. Available 4 nights during your cruise from 5:30 til 8:00 the food is smaller then an appetizer- its just a taste.

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/CarnivalConquest2012/menus/taste_bar.html

the taste bar is located where you see the sushi place listed on the deck plans on deck 5

#1. cruising in Sept you do not book a cruise based on a favorite port that must be seen. Sept is prime time hurrican season and you could be rerouted

1. Souvenirs - I want to buy a bottle of rum and a cake at port in Jamaica. the rum will be stored until the night before you leave. yes, put it in your checked. the cake, IF you can manage to NOT eat it beforehand you can store in the mini fridge until packing.. that I would take in my carry on due to fragility

2. Drinks- Can you bring your drinks that you brought on board (a bottle of pop or a glass of your own wine) in with you to the comedy shows or main theater shows? a glass of wine is usually allowed or bottled water.

3. On board games - I see people mention playing bingo, trivia games, scavenger hunt game - do these games have a cost associated with them? Are there prizes? Bingo yes. the rest no.

4. Food - I’ve seen mention of a Midnight buffet and a Chocolate Extravaganza buffet - are these available on Carnival Freedom and are they only on certain nights? Also seen mentioned somewhere about a tasting of wines/drinks/martini's - is that on a special night in a special place? Is there a cost and/or limit? I’ve seen mention of a Taste Bar but can’t find any info on what this is. By and large Midnight buffets are gone, although the specific ship may do something. same with the chocolate Tastings are always extra.

5. Travel Insurance - Is it necessary? We’ll be going in September, which I believe is hurricane season, so wondering if getting insurance may be a good idea just in case. I would assume something like a hurricane cancelling your trip would be covered? Does the cruise line offer the insurance or do you buy it independently? I believe I'd like to purchase it just to be safe, is there one you'd recommend? YES insuremytrip dot com is a good place where you can price out different plans

Sorry for so many questions. I was saving them up to make just one post rather than making multiple posts.

there is plenty to do on board that is included and anything that costs extra is clearly marked.

Buying the insurance from the cruise line only covers the cruise. When you buy independent insurance it can cover you from the time you leave your home until you return. Medical insurance (IMO) is the most important reason to buy the cruise insurance. Most US health care companies do not cover you outside of the US. I would also suggest looking at insuremytrip.com and comparing what is available.

Check out this site for the amount of alcohol you may bring back. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/190/session/L2F2LzEvc2lkL21XNlFZN3ds/~/duty-free-exemption%2C-gifts

There are very few good buys on jewelry in the Caribbean. Be sure you have an idea of the prices at home so you don't get taken.

#4- Choc buffet is now served at lunch on the last sea day at the buffet on the lido deck the grand dessert buffets are long gone

Taste bar is just that-- a taste of a certain food. Available 4 nights during your cruise from 5:30 til 8:00 the food is smaller then an appetizer- its just a taste.

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/CarnivalConquest2012/menus/taste_bar.html

the taste bar is located where you see the sushi place listed on the deck plans on deck 5

#1. cruising in Sept you do not book a cruise based on a favorite port that must be seen. Sept is prime time hurrican season and you could be rerouted

I didn't pick the date of the cruise - going as a large group, so just had to go along with what was chosen. I didn't mind though, just excited to have the opportunity. :) Thanks for the response about the chocolate extravaganza and the taste bar. I look forward to exploring those more on board. :)

there is plenty to do on board that is included and anything that costs extra is clearly marked.

Good to know - thank you

1. The ship will probably collect the rum at the gangway and return it the last night. When you pack to go home, it must be in your checked luggage. There are limits on bringing liquor back, but I am not sure of the exact rules. Hopefully, someone will chime in.

2. Yes, but many lines will collect your wine at the gangway

3. Bingo has a cost and cash prizes. Most other games are free. Some have small prizes.

4. Sorry don't sail Carnival

5. Insurance is only necessary if you need it. It generally provides medical coverage outside the US. Many regular policies do not. It also covers cancellation for most illness for you, a travel companion or family back home. Emergency transport home.

Thank you for your answers - very helpful.

Suzybeezy -- you might have better luck getting specific answers to your questions over on the Carnival Board. Also, check out the roll-call thread for your sailing, over on the Roll-Call board. That's where you can find folks who will actually be on your cruise. Happy cruising! :cool:

I thought of that, but figured it was more a newbie question, although I do see where some of my questions are definitely Carnival specific. I did sign up on the roll call for my cruise so maybe I need to get more chatty on that thread. :)

Buying the insurance from the cruise line only covers the cruise. When you buy independent insurance it can cover you from the time you leave your home until you return. Medical insurance (IMO) is the most important reason to buy the cruise insurance. Most US health care companies do not cover you outside of the US. I would also suggest looking at insuremytrip.com and comparing what is available.

Check out this site for the amount of alcohol you may bring back. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/190/session/L2F2LzEvc2lkL21XNlFZN3ds/~/duty-free-exemption%2C-gifts

There are very few good buys on jewelry in the Caribbean. Be sure you have an idea of the prices at home so you don't get taken.

Thank you for the insurance site recommendation. I will definitely be checking it out. I'm the kinda gal that if something can go wrong, it probably will.

Also thanks for the link about the alcohol. Too many people are asking for this as a souvenirs so I'm gonna have to know this before going.

As for the jewelry, my friend loves it, so hopefully she knows what's a good deal and what isn't. I'm thinking we may find better deals further away from ports. We'll have a rental car in Grand Cayman so we'll do some exploring to see if we can find any deals.

As for drinking on the ship, once you buy a drink on board you can take it with you where ever you go. The only alcohol free zones are the children's zones. But if you get a drink while lounging at the bar then went to see the comedy show, bring it along!

Jewelry deals are not all that in ports. Everything is so commercialized and linked to cruising its tough to find a true deal. Be sure you know what you are buying if your putting any amount of money on something...

And most of all have fun!

Kari

I would suggest also looking on the Carnival website, especially the FAQs. Lots of info there. I always re-check the cruise line website, even if I've sailed on the same one (which is usually true) just a couple of years before.

I would definitely tell those who are asking for liquor souvenirs that you might not be able to be able to fill their requests. As far as I know there is a limit (which you can research before you leave), but I would imagine several bottles will increase your luggage weight -- as well as the need to package each bottle to insure they won't break. I think many people don't think about such things when they make requests of others.

The suggestion to research jewelry and anything else you want to buy is a good one. Avoid "cruiseline recommended" stores and walk beyond those.

One bottle per person on the liquor, Key West don't count, it's home;)

Cheap jewelry is just that, there will be a couple of quality stores recommend by the ship shopping person, better price but not cheap. The Cuban being a 'better' smoke is a myth, but I had to do it too:D and yes, don't bring one back no matter how well 'concealed' it is:eek:

Know your jewelry prices before you leave home. It used to be that you got great deals on the islands, but that hasn't been the case for a number of years. Going away from the main tourist area really doesn't make a difference in prices. There are reputable jewelers, but those tend to be very expensive and they don't give great deals.

Be very careful when going off on your own, especially if you plan on doing so in Jamaica. To be honest, many people prefer to stay on the ship in that port because of drugs and lots of crime. Just be careful.

Seeing that you're renting a car, that's probably the best reason to get third party insurance. You're going to freak when you see how crazy the drivers are on the islands. Also, if you have health insurance from your employer, many of those plans won't cover you once you leave the country.

FYI, don't take food off the ship when you get into port. It's illegal to bring any food off ships unless it's factory sealed, so no sandwiches, fruit, veggies or anything like that. Fines can be quite high for violating that law.

Never come back to the ship late---they will not wait for you, except if you're on a ship sponsored tour. Make sure you're at the pier in Grand Cayman early because it's a tender port. If they say the last tender leaves at 4, make sure you're at the tender dock at least 20 minutes before that time. You'd be surprised by how many people miss the ship every week. And if you don't have passports, you'll pay hell trying to get to the next port.

I would definitely tell those who are asking for liquor souvenirs that you might not be able to be able to fill their requests. As far as I know there is a limit (which you can research before you leave)' date=' but I would imagine several bottles will increase your luggage weight -- as well as the need to package each bottle to insure they won't break. I think many people don't think about such things when they make requests of others.

[/quote']

Yeah I was wondering how I was going to bring back the liquor on the plane, the logistics of packing it well so it doesn't break, plus the added weight I'd have to lug around (and pay for). Maybe I'll be one or two and get something else for others. I'm sure the place that sells it will have some means to wrap it well for transportation - at least I hope.

Be very careful when going off on your own, especially if you plan on doing so in Jamaica. To be honest, many people prefer to stay on the ship in that port because of drugs and lots of crime. Just be careful.

We are doing a private tour with knowjamaica tours in Jamaica - so we won't be on our own. After reading many threads here on CC, I realized it wouldn't be prudent to go it on our own on that island. We are however renting a car in Grand Cayman which seems to be a safer island and more easy to navigate on our own. We plan on leaving a lot of extra time to return to the ports (like an hour and a half) and just grab something to drink or shop a bit before getting back on the boat.

Seeing that you're renting a car, that's probably the best reason to get third party insurance. You're going to freak when you see how crazy the drivers are on the islands. Also, if you have health insurance from your employer, many of those plans won't cover you once you leave the country.

Agree - I'm going to research the link provided in this thread to select an insurance. Its probably just the wisest thing for us to do, particularly given our plans, like you mentioned.

I would definitely tell those who are asking for liquor souvenirs that you might not be able to be able to fill their requests. As far as I know there is a limit (which you can research before you leave)' date=' but I would imagine several bottles will increase your luggage weight -- as well as the need to package each bottle to insure they won't break. I think many people don't think about such things when they make requests of others.[/quote']

There really is not a limit on the number of bottles ou can bring back.

There IS, however, a limit on how many you can bring abck without paying duty, and an overall amount you can spend on things you can bring back without paying duty.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/190/session/L2F2LzEvc2lkL0hwNWVDZHds/~/duty-free-exemption%2C-gifts

It's usually a liter per person 21 and over, but you get more if you buy in e Carivpbbean and at least one bottle is made in the USVI.

Declare all your purchases on your customs form, and quite often the CBP agent will not even make you pay the duty. The duty is a small percentage of the price of the product, and if duty owed is small, they often feel it isn't worth the effort to collect. More than once I've been told the amount owed and then the agent smiled and said they weren't making me pay and welcomed me home.

And there is the matter of weight in your luggage, and luggage charges.

I have brought back 10 liter or 750ml bottles in two suitcases, each suitcase under 50 lbs, and no bottles broken. Each bottle is placed in its own 2.5 gallon ziplock bag, then rolled in clothing and placed in the suitcases to maximize its protection since my ags are softsided.

1. Souvenirs - I want to buy a bottle of rum and a cake at port in Jamaica. How do I bring it home (traveling back both on the boat and airlines)? Do I pack it on my checked luggage or carry on? Is there a limit on how much food/alcohol one can bring back into the US? Any limitations as to what cannot be brought back into the US (per customs) - so I know what to avoid? My friend is excited to possibly buy jewelry at a cheap price - in one island better than another, or is there really no good deals to be had? From what I'm reading, one can purchase a Cuban cigar to smoke while on an island but they cannot be brought back into the US, even just one, correct?

I *believe* you are allowed to bring back 1 bottle (750ml) per person over the age of 21 duty free. Any amount over than you will have to pay the duty (tax) on when returning to the US. Yes, you would also need to pack the bottles in your checked baggage if flying home.

When you buy alcohol either in port or on the ship, the crew will hold on to the bottle until the last night of the cruise. BTW – the prices on the ship are usually just as good as in port.

Jewelry is hard to say. Key West is still in the US so not duty free. Grand Cayman is the wealthiest of the Caribbean Islands but you might find a good price. (I have not been to Jamaica so do not know their prices) there are limits on how much you can bring back duty free – I *believe* it is $800 per person over that you have to pay duty when you return to the US.

Do NOT bring back any Cuban cigars.

You CAN bring 1 bottle of wine and up to 12 – 20 oz. bottles of soda per person on board. You can drink the wine or soda ANYWHERE on the ship. If you bring the bottle to the dining room they may charge you a corkage fee. You can get wine glasses from any bar or your cabin steward. Your cabin steward can also give you a corkscrew if needed.

3. On board games - I see people mention playing bingo, trivia games, scavenger hunt game - do these games have a cost associated with them? Are there prizes?

There is a charge for bingo between $10-30 depending on what the big prize is for that session. The other games are free and usually have a small prize – a “ship on a stick,” or bottle of champagne usually.

The big Midnight Buffet is gone; they will have a “Mexican” late night buffet one night.

The Chocolate buffet will be around lunch time on your last sea day at the Lido deck buffet area.

There are wine/martini/drink tasting. There is a charge but I do not know how much. You will see the time and location listed in the “fun times.”

The taste bar is a small bite size sample from some of the different dining options. It is located on Deck 5 – midship. There is no charge for this.

5. Travel Insurance - Is it necessary? We’ll be going in September, which I believe is hurricane season, so wondering if getting insurance may be a good idea just in case. I would assume something like a hurricane cancelling your trip would be covered? Does the cruise line offer the insurance or do you buy it independently? I believe I'd like to purchase it just to be safe, is there one you'd recommend?

I also recommend getting travel insurance. The link already provided is the one I would use. The cost will be based on the TOTAL cost of your trip (cruise and air). This will cover you for health issues while on your vacation. If you miss your flight or ship. And almost any “emergency” that can happen between now and then. You would be surprised how many people have to cancel their cruise at the last minute because of a health emergency, death in the family, loss of job, and get mad when the realize that they cannot get a refund or rebook for another date.

I was witness to a jovial fellow behind me going through the TSA checkpoint in Fort Lauderdale where TSA discovered four bottles of Jamaican rum. They gave him the options of surrendering it, going back to the ticket counter and putting it into his already processed luggage (would mean buying another suitcase + $30 luggage fee), or drinking it before he continued.

He surrendered it and continued through the screening.

I asked one of the TSA guys what would happen to the four bottles and was told that it would be "disposed of" which was followed by a large smile.

re: jewellery.. arnival have strong links to Diamonds International stores, so you will be heavily influenced to visit these stores in ports that have them.. we have been on 2 separate carnival cruises, and they have had .. sort of .. a scavenger hunt on them, where you collect a charm bracelet and charms from the various ports.. these are usually free to collect.. this is their way to get you in to the store ( but 1 port in Alaska did want $5.00for 1 of them.. we didn't mind though.)

the ship will also do an " inch of gold " promotion.. where they will have lengths of gold plated chain that you can buy by te inch, and they will make them into bracelets, anklets, and necklaces on board for you.anything from $3 - $8 per inch with some plain and some with stones like tanzanite... usually 14k gold plated.. but can vary... I found this pretty good value, especially for gifts.

I can't tell you all how much all your responses have helped. One additional question popped in my head. dodgetrucksrules mentions that I can get a corkscrew from the cabin steward - will they bring it free or is that considered a corking charge to be added to our bill?

• 2 weeks later...

The Tortuga rum cakes are a FABULOUS gift. The coconut flavor is my FAVORITE! There are limits on the amount of alcohol, but the bargains on the ship are as good as any I've found on any of the islands (I'm speaking of RCCL, but probably the same with Carnival). I think the jewelry is a bit of a rip off for the most part. I'm sure some get a bargain, but it's someone that really is experienced with an eye for bargains and spends lots of time devoted to it. I'm sure I would get ripped off, so I don't bother.

Archived