Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

I couldn't find anything in the HAL link regarding the bringing on of water or soft drinks. Will that still be allowed or has it been removed as well?

Edited by OVgirl

Well, sorry to say.....they made restrictions on smoking, now on alcohol...being a smoker, I hope all non smoking guys know now how it feels....;)

I am saying this tongue in cheek though as I don't drink :D

Hilarious !!!!

Definitely not a deal breaker for us, but one of the pleasures of travel is to have an opportunity to sample local wines from the various ports visited. This is especially true of European ports of call. It's too bad they won't allow passengers to pay a corkage fee to bring any wines they wish to consume on board, instead of taking the wine and holding it.

I am curious - how does HAL get around the fact that when some passengers booked and paid for their upcoming cruises, the former policy was in effect? Seems like a switch after the fact. I guess there must be some sort of generic disclaimer that says they can change the rules whenever they wish?

I'm not happy with it. HAL's previous wine policy was one of the differences that went into the plus column when shopping for cruises. Going to a policy like most cruise lines takes that out of the plus column. Couple that with HAL's over-priced, weak wine list, and it moves to the minus column.

Everyone will have their own personal perception. This is just mine.

I agree 100%. We have always brought wine with us for consumption in our cabin. We also spend plenty of money on their wine with dinner, etc.

For those of us with upcoming, past final payment cruises, I think it is improper to start enforcing this policy. We booked the cruise partly because of the old wine policy and may well have considered booking elsewhere. I remember when they changed the smoking policy, it was several months before it went into effect. Perhaps starting the new policy after the first of the year?

I just hope they do something about their awful wine list and prices. On our last cruise they had only two of the Navigator Package wines available for the entire cruise. What's the use of a 4 star discount if the wines aren't there?

Oh well, I guess some of you are happy. So be it. I'm still pouting.:mad:

No personal axe one way or the other as I don't drink but if I did I don't think I'd be happy about this:

"Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls or

from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last

evening of the voyage."

I guess I really don't understand the onboard shops, why buy onboard if you can't use it. It seems pretty draconian in the light of HAL's penchant for longer cruises. Do you get a second bottle on changeover day on collectors cruises?

Roy

oh good question - as we are on a collectors. The onboard shops are duty free so that is nothing new - it's always been stored until disembarkation.

It's the ports that doesn't make sense for us.

I just told DH and he's shocked. (he'd pay the corkage fee to bring on). HAL's choices are very limited in any case and considering the places we will be visiting - aghhh!

No problem to drink theirs in the dining room, the bars, whatever - but we really enjoyed having that glass from the port as we reminisced the day as we were leaving.

No personal axe one way or the other as I don't drink but if I did I don't think I'd be happy about this:

"Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls or

from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last

evening of the voyage."

I guess I really don't understand the onboard shops, why buy onboard if you can't use it. It seems pretty draconian in the light of HAL's penchant for longer cruises. Do you get a second bottle on changeover day on collectors cruises?

Roy

Good question, I was also wondering if we would get a beverage card for each segment of our Caribbean Collector's Cruise under the new Explore4 program?

Guess we will have to wait for some feedback after people start returning from cruises this fall.

Edited by OVgirl

<nip>

. Do you get a second bottle on changeover day on collectors cruises?

Roy

Good question about Collector Cruises...... with new people embarking at each segment, my guess is you will be allowed a bottle each.

I am disappointed and so will some of the crew. I bring a box of wine on board and the last day give the left over, usually about half, to the crew member that made me laugh.

Many Indonesians do not drink alchohol so your leftover wine may have gone down the drain..... or perhaps was handed to a friend who drinks.

We never bring liquor aboard with us so the change in policy means nothing to us personally. We always manage to find a wine from either the Pinnacle or MDR wine list to enjoy. We've consumed many a nice wine on board the ships. :)

Edited by sail7seas

I don't understand why some people are so pleased about this. How does someone bringing their choice of wine onboard affect those who choose to not bring wine?

.... and we too would happily pay the corkage fee (which has now been increased) to bring aboard a few bottles more than the "limit".

Not often I write any company when I'm displeased, but I will be writing about this change.

While I am not surprised by the policy change (especially with the new Explore 4 incentive), it seems ridiculous to go from unlimited to one bottle for the entire cruise! I feel sorry for those heading to the Mediterranean especially. :(

Hopefully this extreme "tip of the scales" will get balanced somewhat.

Good question, I was also wondering if we would get a beverage card for each segment of our Caribbean Collector's Cruise under the new Explore4 program?

Guess we will have to wait for some feedback after people start returning from cruises this fall.

my guess - it's a collectors' cruise - one booking - one beverage card for the entire cruise. just my opinion though - and for your sake, I hope I am wrong, but I have a feeling...................:rolleyes:

I don't understand why some people are so pleased about this. How does someone bringing their choice of wine onboard affect those who choose to not bring wine?

.... and we too would happily pay the corkage fee (which has now been increased) to bring aboard a few bottles more than the "limit".

Not often I write any company when I'm displeased, but I will be writing about this change.

+1

Thank you for reading my mind and speaking for me. :)

I wonder if they will give refunds to any guests who booked their cruise under the old Wine Policy, are in penalty phase and wish to cancel because they don't like the new policy?

my guess - it's a collectors' cruise - one booking - one beverage card for the entire cruise. just my opinion though - and for your sake, I hope I am wrong, but I have a feeling...................:rolleyes:

I know you're right, just throwing my little temper tantrum.:o

I couldn't find anything in the HAL link regarding the bringing on of water or soft drinks. Will that still be allowed or has it been removed as well?

My understanding and what has been told to me is this has not been changed and you can still bring on water and soft drinks.

Felt this was coming just hope they improve the wine packages at reasonable prices.

I can tell you that RCI's wine package kicks HAL's butt up and down the block, based on price and quality. And, you don't need any "stars" to get the good price. The only negative is that there is a limited selection. So, you have to do a little research to see if they are wines you like. OTOH, I personally think HAL's packages are less than desirable (boy, did I have to work hard to clean that up!).

Since liquor is so expensive up here in the north, we like to buy some bottles before we board to bring back home. Hopefully, I will still be able to hand them over and let them store it for us until disembarkation day.

I encourage EVERYONE who dislikes this new policy, as it is currently presented, to write HAL. Kvetching on CC will not get a policy change, but possibly writing with concerns will have them re-think not allowing us to bring overlimit wine onboard and pay the corkage fee.

We are currently booked thru a PCC -- I will be transferring our res to an online agency that provides OBC, to help underscore my displeasure with the new policy. HAL will have to pay that agency commission. I encourage everyone else who is booked thru a PCC, who is displeased with the new policy, to move their res to a travel agent, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sail7seas viewpost.gif

I wonder if they will give refunds to any guests who booked their cruise under the old Wine Policy, are in penalty phase and wish to cancel because they don't like the new policy?

Great question.

Maybe they will grant a waiver of the policy for that cruise and let that guest bring their wine seeing they booked under the 'old terms'.

Hal byob is one of the main reasons we have done 4 cruises on them in last 3 years, already have my Sandals trip booked, will book them again only if I get a great deal. Wonder if they will be enforcing this?