Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

after 21 cruises, four-star plus, it's goody-goodbye to hal. i don't want to sail on a prison ship. reduced service, poor entertainment, restrictive policies, poor food, and now all of this wine business, as if we were children trying to cross the gangway with too many oreos. rules everywhere. and threatened penalties, to boot. not to mention higher prices, and pricing 'games.' and just plain rudeness if you happen to 'overstep' the boundaries, from pax to staff. hal has become for me a 'product' i don't want to pursue anymore. i feel threatened and intimidated every time i step on board any hal ship.

You are certainly "all about the drama".

Prison ship? Threatened and intimidated?

It sounds like you have some issues that have nothing at all to do with HAL.

after 21 cruises, four-star plus, it's goody-goodbye to hal. i don't want to sail on a prison ship. reduced service, poor entertainment, restrictive policies, poor food, and now all of this wine business, as if we were children trying to cross the gangway with too many oreos. rules everywhere. and threatened penalties, to boot. not to mention higher prices, and pricing 'games.' and just plain rudeness if you happen to 'overstep' the boundaries, from pax to staff. hal has become for me a 'product' i don't want to pursue anymore. i feel threatened and intimidated every time i step on board any hal ship.

Considering what you wrote about removing the HSC in another thread, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a connection here.

You just may be reaping what you sow.

We just booked a b2b 14 day cruise. Will we be able to bring on 2 more bottles for the second 7 days? And if we buy liquor on board during the first 7 days, will it be delivered to our cabin at the end of the first 7 days? Then we will have it for the next 7.;)

We just booked a b2b 14 day cruise. Will we be able to bring on 2 more bottles for the second 7 days? And if we buy liquor on board during the first 7 days, will it be delivered to our cabin at the end of the first 7 days? Then we will have it for the next 7.;)

They say no on the wine for the second half but how would they know. I would also say the liquor would be delivered. I've had it happen before.

I very much doubt it, considering that when they tried to implement the new policy back in July it applied to all booked cruises, including those past final payment date and those about to board (I know, I was one of them).
Not only those, but also to cruises in progress, posting signs at the gangway about not bringing wine back for on-board consumption.

If you have two booking numbers the answer to both questions should be yes, but if they converted it to a "collectors" with just one booking number then probably no to both.

Ridiculous policy change from one extreme to the other.

Wrote the letter and also received back the thanks for the feedback...to bad it's the policy.

Oceania has sent us enough brochures to paper the walls with. Now those are no longer going in the recycle bin. HAL's are.

I completely concur I e-mailed, and got the same form letter response. we are done with HAL, back to Oceania :D

It is all pretty simple- HAL marks "average" wines up way too much to try and make up for bring your own free of charge. People bring their own due to grossly inflated prices- creates a "catch 22" for HAL.

Follow the lead of Princess or NCL- One bottle free per person; any more $15 per bottle at boarding. No muss, no fuss- no work for the servers remembering to add the corkage fees. Also, bring the wine prices in line with the competition- I've been looking at wine lists from others and many seem very reasonable.

I can get through dinner without wine and have in many restaurants that were way to overpriced. Would they rather I drink iced tea and coffee at meals and make nothing or let me bring on 3 or 4 bottles of my favorite wines and make 50 or 60 bucks?

I spoke with one woman on board who had brought on "two buck Chuck" (Trader Joe's wine for those that aren't familiar)- she said with the $18 corkage fee was still a better deal than paying $50 for a $12 bottle of St. Michelle.

It is all pretty simple- HAL marks "average" wines up way too much to try and make up for bring your own free of charge. People bring their own due to grossly inflated prices- creates a "catch 22" for HAL.

Follow the lead of Princess or NCL- One bottle free per person; any more $15 per bottle at boarding. No muss, no fuss- no work for the servers remembering to add the corkage fees. Also, bring the wine prices in line with the competition- I've been looking at wine lists from others and many seem very reasonable.

I can get through dinner without wine and have in many restaurants that were way to overpriced. Would they rather I drink iced tea and coffee at meals and make nothing or let me bring on 3 or 4 bottles of my favorite wines and make 50 or 60 bucks?

I spoke with one woman on board who had brought on "two buck Chuck" (Trader Joe's wine for those that aren't familiar)- she said with the $18 corkage fee was still a better deal than paying $50 for a $12 bottle of St. Michelle.

Thanks for explaining this. I for the longest time, thought it was hoity toity wine drinkers that couldn't find their special blend. Turns out it's just two buck chuck swillers who don't want to pay inflated prices.

Even better, I believe Chateau St. Michelle is $7.97 at Total Wine in Fort Lauderdale...

Thanks for explaining this. I for the longest time, thought it was hoity toity wine drinkers that couldn't find their special blend. Turns out it's just two buck chuck swillers who don't want to pay inflated prices.

Nope...just people like me who don't want to be ripped off paying outrageous, over inflated prices for a simple bottle of wine.

Amazingly, HAL has dropped the ball...in this day and age when companies are encouraged to do things to improve customer satisfaction. Go figure.

Just a point of clarification on NCL. We just sailed on NCL this past May. There is no "free" bottle allowance. All wine brought onboard is subject to the $15/bottle corkage fee. We had to pay it before we even reached the check in desk!

If you are buying liquor from HAL onboard, there is no quota, and it will be delivered to your cabin immediately. The quota refers to wine being brought on board. Or did you mean to say "... if we bring liquor on board?"

Just a point of clarification on NCL. We just sailed on NCL this past May. There is no "free" bottle allowance. All wine brought onboard is subject to the $15/bottle corkage fee. We had to pay it before we even reached the check in desk!

Ah, yes, but we found the cost of buying a bottle of wine on NCL much more reasonable then the HAL prices we've seen.

Nope...just people like me who don't want to be ripped off paying outrageous, over inflated prices for a simple bottle of wine.

Amazingly, HAL has dropped the ball...in this day and age when companies are encouraged to do things to improve customer satisfaction. Go figure.

Sheila, don't feed...... oh never mind:rolleyes:

But I agree with your points.

I found the same situation as the woman you spoke with..... though my wine is much better class at $9 CDN:D Adding the corkage, I was still way ahead of anything similar that HAL offered - in fact, my wine was better than their offerings!

We cruise on the Eurodam in November..what is the policy that will b in effect then?

Thank you!

no worries - the old policy is still in effect - so you can bring what you want in the way of wine, soda or water on board:D