Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

Please folks take a few minutes to write in and voice your thoughts about the new policy. I say HAL and cruisers can come to a mutual agreement on a new wine policy that is not so strict. Maybe they can do 1/2 of the # of nights = the amount of bottles you can bring on board rounded up.

We simply vote with our money and with whom we cruise. Perhaps the new policy will generate extra revenue for HA and perhaps it will not. But because of various cut-backs and new policies we recently changed our mind about booking a 56 day Rotterdam cruise in favor of a long Princess cruise (plus European driving trip).

Hank

We simply vote with our money and with whom we cruise. Perhaps the new policy will generate extra revenue for HA and perhaps it will not. But because of various cut-backs and new policies we recently changed our mind about booking a 56 day Rotterdam cruise in favor of a long Princess cruise (plus European driving trip).

Hank

I totally agree with voting with your feet (and your money) Hank - I am just hoping that those that are doing that take the time to tell HAL they are and if this was the 'icing on the cake' so to speak - then now is the time to speak up.

Nope - I don't expect a reply.

I want to provide everyone a clear example of just what a troll is.

Actually I prefer champagne, but thanks for asking.

I'm sorry I didn't answer your question in the time you had allotted for in your head. I'll try to do better. I promise.

Just a point of clarification on NCL. We just sailed on NCL this past May. There is no "free" bottle allowance. All wine brought onboard is subject to the $15/bottle corkage fee. We had to pay it before we even reached the check in desk!

Good to know. Sounds like a great policy we would be happy to participate in. One fee up front. Would certainly make life easier for the servers/beverage staff.

Could you bring on in ports as well with the same fee or was it just on initial embarkation that you could bring on wine?

Thanks for explaining this. I for the longest time, thought it was hoity toity wine drinkers that couldn't find their special blend. Turns out it's just two buck chuck swillers who don't want to pay inflated prices.

Two Buck Chuck is overage wine and sometimes it is excellent, sometimes not so much. I have seen people at our store, buy a bottle, go out in the parking lot and taste it and, if it is really good, go back in and buy a case or two. Actually the Chardonnay has won some pretty impressive awards.

One of my favorite wines is Viñas Chilenas Reserva Merlot which costs a rip roaring $3.49 per bottle and tastes better than anything I have ever bought on a ship at any price. It is extremely painful to pay $45.00 for a bottle of wine I don't even like as well as the $3.49 bottle I drink at home. :(

So the bottom line for us is that we will take our October crossing while we can still board our own wine, and, unless HAL modifies their policy, that will be the end of our relationship.

We just returned from a Princess cruise where we boarded a whole case of wine, happily paid the corkage fee, and enjoyed it tremendously with our friends who had an adjoining balcony. I would miss that too much to give it up.

Are you then saying that this coming February when thousands of people are embarking on HAL cruises that HAL port officials will employ the tedious task of determining which people can get on the ship with unlimited bottles of wine and those who can only bring on one bottle? I think I`ll watch the riot from the FLL webcam.

You are right. It would be a mess. The point I was trying to make was that anyone who books will know the new wine policy and as of Sept.12, it is in the revised cruise contract. The Explore4 program would also be available. I never wanted to start anything with my original post; I was only interested in giving the info. that was shared with me. To those traveling, have a great time.

I'm with you, Tim.

Don't think the grass is greener. I just got off a 7 day cruise on the Celebrity Solstice to Alaska.

A few minor annoyances on that cruise, but the major pain-in-the-rear was when we signed up for the "Wine Connoisseur Dinner" - only to have it scheduled on a port day (that was a late-port day - 1p to 11p, and a tendering port at that). Then, rush back to shower, shave, and clean up to be a champagne reception at 5:30 and only to have it cancelled. No notice, no nothing. And, to add insult to injury, the wine steward who sold us the wine dinner screwed up the reservation so we were never officially signed up for it even though I had my paper receipt.

They do have an "all you can drink" package on Celebrity - worked out to about $62 per person per day. But it is wines, beers, well drinks by the glass. No wines by the bottle. And the wines by the glass, the best ones were still Beringer, Kendall Jackson, Murphy Goode, etc. Wines that for $14 a glass are $14 for the whole bottle at home.

Glad I didn't do the premium package.

Celebrity also had an inferior wine program in general.

No "good, better, even better" tiers of organized tastings run by the cellar master.

The overall wine list was just an inflated as HAL's (with most of your $8 - 15 cheap wine bottles going for $45-55 in the MDR's wine list).

They have a "wine bar" that was vacant most of the time - with Enomatic machines in the back dispensing 1, 2, and 3oz pours. (A 3 oz pour of Caymas Cab Sauv was something rediculous.. can't remember the real amount but I was insulted to so it).

And lastly, and this is just me, I don't like "Wine Stewards" being styled as "Sommelliers" .

So, even if you are paying for wines by the glass, you're still getting better bang over on HAL. But, I too weep for the loss of the carry-on-wine policy.

We usually bring on board a few bottles of our favorite red for our pinnacle grill dinners plus a bottle of champagne for sail away. We are more than happy to pay a corkage. It is amazingly short sighted to prohibit any wine over one per passenger. Allow more than one just charge a corkage. Someone in Seattle needs a wake up call.

Don't think the grass is greener. I just got off a 7 day cruise on the Celebrity Solstice to Alaska.

A few minor annoyances on that cruise, but the major pain-in-the-rear was when we signed up for the "Wine Connoisseur Dinner" - only to have it scheduled on a port day (that was a late-port day - 1p to 11p, and a tendering port at that). Then, rush back to shower, shave, and clean up to be a champagne reception at 5:30 and only to have it cancelled. No notice, no nothing. And, to add insult to injury, the wine steward who sold us the wine dinner screwed up the reservation so we were never officially signed up for it even though I had my paper receipt.

They do have an "all you can drink" package on Celebrity - worked out to about $62 per person per day. But it is wines, beers, well drinks by the glass. No wines by the bottle. And the wines by the glass, the best ones were still Beringer, Kendall Jackson, Murphy Goode, etc. Wines that for $14 a glass are $14 for the whole bottle at home.

Glad I didn't do the premium package.

Celebrity also had an inferior wine program in general.

No "good, better, even better" tiers of organized tastings run by the cellar master.

The overall wine list was just an inflated as HAL's (with most of your $8 - 15 cheap wine bottles going for $45-55 in the MDR's wine list).

They have a "wine bar" that was vacant most of the time - with Enomatic machines in the back dispensing 1, 2, and 3oz pours. (A 3 oz pour of Caymas Cab Sauv was something rediculous.. can't remember the real amount but I was insulted to so it).

And lastly, and this is just me, I don't like "Wine Stewards" being styled as "Sommelliers" .

So, even if you are paying for wines by the glass, you're still getting better bang over on HAL. But, I too weep for the loss of the carry-on-wine policy.

For the celebrity premium package,

Are you aware that any bottle was 30% off the list price, even reserve wines?

As well any beverage at all under $12, and completely unlimited. Even the coffee bar and bottled beverages. We got our beverage package included with our caribbean cruise booking, again, its unlimited... There are many red wines under the limit if we do not want to pay over $12...

If your drink is over $12, you just pay the difference.

That is a far cry from the $1430 we are paying on our upcoming NA cruise, to get up to 15 drinks per day with the new beverage package, all have to be under $7. Only red wines are house.

Hopefully they are willng to do the Canaletto wines by the glass with this package... That expands the red list to 3...

Celebrity's premium package sets the industry standard. I am looking at Celebrity's wine list versus HAL's by the glass option right now, and X has many many more options versus HALs house only options...

Can we drink 15 beverages per day on HAL to justify the cost?

Yes.

2 morning lattes

2 mid morning mimosas

1 large pelligrino

3 afternoon cocktails or beers

One late afternoon red bull

2 pre dinner drinks

3 glasses of wine with dinner (hopefully Canaletto wine) as only the house is listed under $7 on by the glass wine menu...

No after dinner ports or fortified wines as they are not covered on HAL... :(

We will pay corkage to bring our own... On X we have 3 to 4 choices included.,.

2 nightcaps

It pays for itself very early on.., so we are going to do it...

And to everyone, just got home after traveling for 2 weeks, and i am working on the petition to submit to HAL.

Edited by surfergirle

But you only truly get that value on a sea day. It worked out to about 12 beers, maybe 5 or 5 wines, or about 8 mixed drinks a day. (and sprinkle in bottled waters, coffees, etc)... On a sea day, yeah - I could have fun with it.

But, if it's a port intensive itinerary, and you're doing "active things" in port (scuba diving, renting a car and driving, etc - anything that requires a) sobriety and b) no hangover from the previous night, then you want to steer away.

And, if I'm already paying for unlimited drinks, why do I want to pay more for more drinks (ie, 30pct off wines)?

For the opponents of the unlimited carry on wine policy, going for a pay-for-unlimited drinks policy may encourage MORE binge drinking because some guests will want to fully encumber their per-diem drinking fees.

Bring back the unlimted wines - or go to the Princes plan. Bring as much as you want, but after the first bottle, you are subject to a REASONABLE corkage at embarkation. I'd think most of us wouldn't mind a $10 to 15 corkage. (A fee that we are supposed to be paying but usually get out of in the dining room anyway).

Edited by crule
minor typos

As well any beverage at all under $12, and completely unlimited. Even the coffee bar and bottled beverages. We got our beverage package included with our caribbean cruise booking, again, its unlimited... There are many red wines under the limit if we do not want to pay over $12...

That is a far cry from the $1430 we are paying on our upcoming NA cruise, to get up to 15 drinks per day with the new beverage package, all have to be under $7. Only red wines are house.

Hopefully they are willng to do the Canaletto wines by the glass with this package... That expands the red list to 3...

Celebrity's premium package sets the industry standard. I am looking at Celebrity's wine list versus HAL's by the glass option right now, and X has many many more options versus HALs house only options...

Yes.

2 morning lattes

2 mid morning mimosas

1 large pelligrino

2 pre dinner drinks

3 glasses of wine with dinner (hopefully Canaletto wine) as only the house is listed under $7 on by the glass wine menu...

2 nightcaps

And to everyone, just got home after traveling for 2 weeks, and i am working on the petition to submit to HAL.

I drink this port day or sea day, prob more on a sea day. Im not driving, and heck id have to drink alot more to get a hangover! Lol.

Yes.

2 morning lattes

2 mid morning mimosas

1 large pelligrino

2 pre dinner drinks

2 nightcaps

Is there a software program I can load all this data into,so I can figure out how much to drink and get my moneys worth?:confused:

Is there a software program I can load all this data into,so I can figure out how much to drink and get my moneys worth?:confused:

Ugh, no. Thats an average day when im on vacation.

I know myself and my husband. I can tell you that after 6 drinks it pays for itself, because i can look at my past bar bills.

Im sure you know your average as well.

:rolleyes:

It will not make sense for most people, but we know what we spend. Even when we bring our wine.

Edited by surfergirle

You will be able to figure this out after you've been released from the detoxification unit on the ship!icon10.gif

Sounds like there should be many more Friends of Bill gatherings on these cruises.icon12.gif I've had hundreds of patients whose vacations revolved around ETOH.

Edited by kjw869

Seriously? ;:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, yes.icon9.gif I remember one case where an "impaired professional" cancelled a family vacation when he found out that alcoholic drinks were not allowed in the pool area of a hotel they were to stay for week. Their three children were devastated when they spent their vacation at home. But, at least he could have his bourbon and water.

Edited by kjw869

So, steering this thread slightly....

What are the alternatives? Who allows me to bring on more than 1-2 bottles per person and/or stateroom?

From what I've been able to gleam from scanning this whole thread and other sources is my choices are NCL and Princess. And they hit you right at the gangway for a rather reasonable $15 corkage. Or you step it up to Crystal/Regent/Seaboard class of ship and pay another $2K or more per person.

And before we start going down the list of who offers an "all you can drink beverage plan", I believe most of the sentiment of those of us who are upset about the carry-on policy is not from the viewpoint of gluttony and being able to drink as much as we what, but rather being able to drink *what* we want.

Many of us are very "wine aware" and are insulted at $5-8 bottles being sold for well over $50.

Thoughts?

My wife and I are in the planning stages for "Vacation 2015" so we're trying to figure out which direction to go...

A nice thing about taking a cruise on any line is being able to eat and drink what you want, as much as you want (well, what your budget will allow you to drink) and usually no one will judge you. :rolleyes:

Unless you post here. ;)

So, steering this thread slightly....

What are the alternatives? Who allows me to bring on more than 1-2 bottles per person and/or stateroom?

From what I've been able to gleam from scanning this whole thread and other sources is my choices are NCL and Princess. And they hit you right at the gangway for a rather reasonable $15 corkage. Or you step it up to Crystal/Regent/Seaboard class of ship and pay another $2K or more per person.

And before we start going down the list of who offers an "all you can drink beverage plan", I believe most of the sentiment of those of us who are upset about the carry-on policy is not from the viewpoint of gluttony and being able to drink as much as we what, but rather being able to drink *what* we want.

Many of us are very "wine aware" and are insulted at $5-8 bottles being sold for well over $50.

Thoughts?

My wife and I are in the planning stages for "Vacation 2015" so we're trying to figure out which direction to go...

That, my friend, is precisely the issue. For me, anyway.

Wow. I haven't been on for several months and just logged in today to plan a holiday cruise. The wine policy was one of the main reasons we sail with HAL. Their wine lists are awful and overpriced, but even so, we ordered wine off the menu for our dinners. The wine we brought onboard were for sharing on the verandah. Guess we'll be looking at other options now!:(

I have been away for a few weeks, and off this board. People here are talking about current cruisers in Europe, and upcoming holiday cruises, yet the HAL booklet referenced by the OP says this new wine policy doesn't go into effect until 1/2014. So, it was officially written, but still does not go into effect until 1/2014??

Please forgive me if this has been asked and answered. Just made final payment today on a December cruise, and we do like to bring a few special bottles.