Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

That's reassuring. Not. HAL limits the wine policy....yet can't even do the right thing bringing wine to tables or managing their wine stewards??? What's wrong with this picture?

Seems to me since they don't have their act together with the wine stewards, they should be grateful to those of us who bring on and manage our own!

How ironic...just as we're reaching 4 star, I'm having to look at other cruise lines who are more accommodating.

I don't know if this helps or not, but we have had quite good service from the wine stewards. I think it helps if you either (a) order a wine package or (b) make it clear that you will want wine every night.

The first night on one cruise we didn't see the wine steward until the main course. I ordered the package and told the wine steward that we enjoyed our wine first thing please with a big smile;) After that he was at our table literally a minute in the time we sat down.;)

Now, ordering a glass of wine is a horse of a different colour.:rolleyes:

I don't know if this helps or not, but we have had quite good service from the wine stewards. I think it helps if you either (a) order a wine package or (b) make it clear that you will want wine every night.

The first night on one cruise we didn't see the wine steward until the main course. I ordered the package and told the wine steward that we enjoyed our wine first thing please with a big smile;) After that he was at our table literally a minute in the time we sat down.;)

I always order a wine package. I also told the wine steward that I don't want my glass empty. I guess I wasn't clear enough:rolleyes::D.

I always order a wine package. I also told the wine steward that I don't want my glass empty. I guess I wasn't clear enough:rolleyes::D.

No, I'm pretty sure you were quite clear - in fact crystal:D Too bad - well, it's worked for me - so I was hoping.......it would help others.

I guess - different ships - different crews? We've had good service on the Prinsendam, Maasdam and Westerdam (our most recent - all within the last year). Too bad it wasn't consistent

No, I'm pretty sure you were quite clear - in fact crystal:D Too bad - well, it's worked for me - so I was hoping.......it would help others.

I guess - different ships - different crews? We've had good service on the Prinsendam, Maasdam and Westerdam (our most recent - all within the last year). Too bad it wasn't consistent

I suspect table size, time and traditional or open plays into it. Service was decent when I did traditional. I generally eat around 6 or 6:30 in open at a larger table. Many times I'm the only one drinking wine so I think my table gets written off.

I was only commenting from the comments read on CC. Personally, we've had wonderful service from the wine stewards.

On our Veendam cruise to and from Bermuda in May of 2012, we had a lovely wine steward. She was there constantly...watching out to see who needed service. Then, most recently on our Ryndam 21 day cruise, we had the same wine steward we had on the Noordam. He remembered us and all was good!

We'll see what the NA brings...not hoping for the world... :( being such a large ship.

I was only commenting from the comments read on CC. Personally, we've had wonderful service from the wine stewards.

On our Veendam cruise to and from Bermuda in May of 2012, we had a lovely wine steward. She was there constantly...watching out to see who needed service. Then, most recently on our Ryndam 21 day cruise, we had the same wine steward we had on the Noordam. He remembered us and all was good!

We'll see what the NA brings...not hoping for the world... :( being such a large ship.

It's funny but one cruise on the NA was excellent, the other one was not good at all. I've never seen so many unhappy crew as I did on the NA last November. I hope you'll let us know how you find it.

It's funny but one cruise on the NA was excellent, the other one was not good at all. I've never seen so many unhappy crew as I did on the NA last November. I hope you'll let us know how you find it.

I will, Lorene. This time, not doing it for the ship, per se, but for the itinerary ...but certainly, on the TA segment especially, I certainly hope we enjoy the ship!

We love the "S" class ships especially...so this should be an interesting experience.

Edited by innlady1

I suspect table size, time and traditional or open plays into it. Service was decent when I did traditional. I generally eat around 6 or 6:30 in open at a larger table. Many times I'm the only one drinking wine so I think my table gets written off.

I think you might a point there, Lorene. Both my friend and my daughter on their cruises, did Anytime dining, so downstairs. I was upstairs, early dining, and - as I reported in my review - the wine steward in our part of the MDR was constantly pushing drinks! Maybe it's an "Upstairs, downstairs" thing, LOL.:D

Hearing about all these problems and unhappy crews is really making me nervous about coming back to HAL.:eek: we are platinum with NCL now. We each receive dinner and free wine in a specialty restaurant, free laundry, free wine in the cabin also. Priority embarking and debarked also. We can also bring as much wine as we need with the $15 corkage. Also a welcome box of Godiva chocolate in our cabin. Yum!

Sorry to jump in I just wanted to check something - we're about to jump on a 41 night HAL cruise. Is it correct that the current policy would literally let me load up a few cases of wine and bring it on board?

Seems super generous given how cruise prices have remained flat for years.

Sorry to jump in I just wanted to check something - we're about to jump on a 41 night HAL cruise. Is it correct that the current policy would literally let me load up a few cases of wine and bring it on board?

Seems super generous given how cruise prices have remained flat for years.

Just as long as its before jan 31, 2014 knock yourself out.

Hearing about all these problems and unhappy crews is really making me nervous about coming back to HAL.:eek: we are platinum with NCL now. We each receive dinner and free wine in a specialty restaurant, free laundry, free wine in the cabin also. Priority embarking and debarked also. We can also bring as much wine as we need with the $15 corkage. Also a welcome box of Godiva chocolate in our cabin. Yum!

I took the Oosterdam on August 18th. While the wine service sucked until I filled out the comment card the crew seemed really happy. The O has always been my fav ship until she moved to Australia. I still have a soft spot for that ship. I don't understand why some ships are great and other ones suck. The captain and upper management have to have something to do with it.

I think you might a point there, Lorene. Both my friend and my daughter on their cruises, did Anytime dining, so downstairs. I was upstairs, early dining, and - as I reported in my review - the wine steward in our part of the MDR was constantly pushing drinks! Maybe it's an "Upstairs, downstairs" thing, LOL.:D

I think this is a very good point. We did main traditional dining all three times. Perhaps because the wine stewards 'know' you as you are at the same table, they can give better service?

I think this is a very good point. We did main traditional dining all three times. Perhaps because the wine stewards 'know' you as you are at the same table, they can give better service?

I think in traditional they get to know the crowd quick because it doesn't change. In open its new everyday so it likely throws them off.

I think in traditional they get to know the crowd quick because it doesn't change. In open its new everyday so it likely throws them off.

We have had both traditional and open and found it does not matter. We always follow the same routine to get what we want when we want it. Upon sitting at the table (always a table for 2) the first thing we do is inform our waiter that we are not in a hurry and will not be ordering any food until we have an open bottle of wine in front of us, whether one of our own or one we are ordering. They usually find a wine steward very quickly to look after us!

Edited by taxmantoo

The new wine policy was announced and implemented overnight.

After a few days and a huge outcry, especially the point that passengers had booked under one policy and now unfairly had no choice in the matter, HAL backtracked about the date. The new implementation date is January 31, 2014.

According to the hotel manager on Prinsendam as of a few days ago, that was a fallacy perpetuated by us at CC. He was extremely annoyed. He was quite adamant that the information he received from Seattle was always Jan. of 14.

We have also never had a problem with service from either the waiters or the wine stewards in any bar or dining room.

We experienced wonderful service on Prinsendom most recently. What I did notice is that they leave the red wines on the table. However, they were still around frequently to pour before the glass was empty.

While not on the Z it has been a pita to get my wine that I purchased from Hal. The last several ships I've been on the service has been dismal even though many times they were standing around doing nothing. I wish I was as lucky as some folks. It does happen even though it never happens to them. I remember years ago complaining about a bad cabin steward only to be told that doesn't happen. Only when it happens to some folks is it valid. The rest of us are unimportant.

Seriously, if you want an inattentive wine steward to pay attention, just reach for the bottle and pour it yourself. I can almost guarantee that they will notice and you won't have to do it twice. I've had to do that maybe three times on various cruises. It works like a charm. They are mortified that you would do that. I suspect they don't want their supervisor seeing that.

Of course, that doesn't solve the problem of getting your wine in the first place - or if they have a white chilling out of your sight.

According to the hotel manager on Prinsendam as of a few days ago, that was a fallacy perpetuated by us at CC. He was extremely annoyed. He was quite adamant that the information he received from Seattle was always Jan. of 14.

Did you expect him to say that HAL had egg on their face, and Seattle was terribly embarrassed? :confused:

The fact is that cruisers reported returning to the ship to find the new policy enforced. A sign announcing the new policy was posted at the ship's gangway, and a photo of that was posted for the world (at least that part of the world reading CC) to see.

When the original new policy was found and posted, there was no date of January 31, 2014 in it. That date appeared later.

Perpetuated on CC? Certainly. A fallacy? No.

Is that what HAL Management is telling their Hotel Managers and other ship personnel? It's outrageous the way HAL is handling this whole scenario.

Did you expect him to say that HAL had egg on their face, and Seattle was terribly embarrassed? :confused:

The fact is that cruisers reported returning to the ship to find the new policy enforced. A sign announcing the new policy was posted at the ship's gangway, and a photo of that was posted for the world (at least that part of the world reading CC) to see.

When the original new policy was found and posted, there was no date of January 31, 2014 in it. That date appeared later.

Perpetuated on CC? Certainly. A fallacy? No.

I'm pretty sure it was this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=39332417#post39332417

Very reliable source but I don't think he had a picture. Maybe Kirk has one but I think the "picture" was in words.

Roy

Seriously, if you want an inattentive wine steward to pay attention, just reach for the bottle and pour it yourself. I can almost guarantee that they will notice and you won't have to do it twice. I've had to do that maybe three times on various cruises. It works like a charm. They are mortified that you would do that. I suspect they don't want their supervisor seeing that.

Of course, that doesn't solve the problem of getting your wine in the first place - or if they have a white chilling out of your sight.

That's the problem. Usually I'm sitting at a larger table and the wine is tucked away somewhere where I can't see it. I had another person at the table pour me some and they couldn't have cared less but it wasn't that apparent. If I get out of my chair I think that would be more noticable. They just don't seem to care. I know people say it hasn't happened to them but what reason would I have for lying? About the only thing left is getting up on the table and screaming for the guy:D.