Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

Many Indonesians do not drink alchohol so your leftover wine may have gone down the drain..... or perhaps was handed to a friend who drinks.

We never bring liquor aboard with us so the change in policy means nothing to us personally. We always manage to find a wine from either the Pinnacle or MDR wine list to enjoy. We've consumed many a nice wine on board the ships. :)

Although if you get them at the right time, they will tell you that they do drink when they have free time. And they are most appreciative if you give them beverages that you haven't finished. At least that has been our experience.

Now that is what I call a little something for everyone. Lovely.

If you want to finish posting the list (some have asked for a comparison), go for it, plus the package prices. There is also a wine list for BLU and the specialty restaurants, plus all the non-alcoholic drinks and martinis. Someone made a pdf and added a link.

http://lfsimon.home.comcast.net/~lfsimon/Celebrity%20MDR%20Wine%20List%20-%20Eclipse%20March%202013.pdf

Edited by Jade13

Wow, my cruise leaves in 6 days.

I certainly hope HAL plans to contact (via email, their travel agent, etc. )customers who have already booked regarding this significant change in policy/pricing. Had I not read it on Cruise Critic, I would be both embarrassed and angry at the pier.

I worked in Customer Service for many years and this is the type of change in terms that would certainly send customers to competitors. I haven't checked my cruise contract and am assuming there is language to cover such changes. But the BEST service is when a company honors the letter and SPIRIT of a policy. It seems the spirit of this policy at a bare minimum requires more notice (the best companies don't "spring" a big change on customers when boarding) and more detailed, publicized execution plan (what are they doing to improve onboard wine offerings, packages, etc.).

And I say this and we're not even big drinkers...just planned on bringing 6 bottles of wine on board. I guess it's more the principal of changing terms so last minute. This is my first HAL cruise and last minute changes--especially those that have are not emergency or safety-based--without reasonable notification is very disappointing.

If I were you I would be carrying the two bottles of wine through port security in my carryon as directed by HAL. My traveling companion, not realizing that I have the wine, has also carried two bottles in his/her carryon. Being slow afoot, my traveling companion is probably five minutes behind me entering the security line. Whoops! We have four bottles in our cabin.

Now that is an impressive wine list. Celebrity is looking better and better. I have brought a case of wine on board, never slapped a baggage tag on it. Wheeled it in myself. I have never taken my own wine anywhere but my cabin and resent it when I see others abuse the privilege. Hopefully HAL will do the right thing and improve their selection and pricing, as well as reconsidering it's policy at least as far as cruises already booked and past final payment.

Wow....I go away from CC for 6 hours and my worst nightmare has come true!! I truly hate to say it, but "I told you so" to those people who were on my case about this recently. I knew this was coming, but I really thought HAL policy would be similar to Princess---not worse. I wonder why they want it to be even more strict?

I plan on voting with my feet. I am also hoping that they will not enforce this in Europe. It is possible.... I bought beer in Oslo---totally forgot about the rules!! I plan on buying a bottle to test the waters....in France in Sept. I will let you know!! The worst is that I will have to drink it our last night, or bring it to the hotel in Barcelona! We have a 2014 cruise planned...unfortunately, no other cruiseline has a comparable itinerary. After that....we will not sail HAL because of this pettiness. At least when I tolerated smoke on my balcony, it was easier with a glass of wine in hand! HAL has a terrible loyalty program anyway. I love Prinsendam, but I just can't sail a cruiseline that allows smoking and disallows wine, especially after allowing it for years. And, springing this on us last minute!

HAL ....are you listening??? There's a group of us Prinsendam loyalists who can easily switch to Oceania, Regent, Azamara or the new Ocean Viking. The price for a balcony cabin is comparable!

I think that sums it up. We are not heavy or even regular drinkers, by any means - I would be content with bringing 2 bottles per person for a 7-day cruise, rather than 1, but I can live with it. However, having that same rule for my 22-day cruise and not being allowed to bring on wine in the ports is totally OTT. The attitude is what bothers me most - I haven't had any communication from HAL about this change even though I have a cruise in August. My TA phoned and was told the new rules apply to everyone, even though the conditions were different when we paid in full. What arrogance.

To those who think that this new rule will stop the prices going up because of the few who brought cases of wine onboard - think again.

I really thought that HAL would just charge for every bottle brought on board. The wine snobs get their bottle of choice, HAL minimizes its inventory and maximizes its profits.

I don't drink wine, but this is an unacceptable change to dump on people that are already booked. I assume a unilateral change in the cruise contract would allow for no penalty constellations. Has anyone checked?

A quick glance at that Celebrity list shows this

$ 65 (740) – Foley Vineyards, PINOT NOIR, “Rancho Santa Rosa”, Santa Rita Hills, California, USA

This is one of my favorite wines. I paid $40 per bottle for 6 bottles last year from an online store. IMO, $65 aboard ship is very fair. The Celebrity prices on the Kendall-Jackson "Vintner's Reserve" line is much lower than HAL.

Now that is an impressive wine list. Celebrity is looking better and better. I have brought a case of wine on board, never slapped a baggage tag on it. Wheeled it in myself.

That is not even the entire list. They have Reserve, half bottles, non-alcoholic, and a different list at the specialty restaurants, plus other drink lists such as martini's and cocktails, specialty teas, coffees, and waters.

This is one of my favorite wines. I paid $40 per bottle for 6 bottles last year from an online store. IMO, $65 aboard ship is very fair. The Celebrity prices on the Kendall-Jackson "Vintner's Reserve" line is much lower than HAL.

The list is impressive!

Is that the Kendall-Jackson Pinot Noir? Someone gave us a bottle on HAL last year and I liked it a lot.

Edited by Jade13

How do you know there has been a lot of abuse? I have seldom seen anyone carry a glass from their cabin into the MDR - if ever. I have seen one couple, in all these years, carry glasses of their own wine around the ship, but just one. As for cases and cases of wine - really, how often have you seen that?

On every grand voyages I did (8 World cruises and 3 grand Asia)

Why is everyone getting their panties in a wad over this announcement? I don't know that it is much different that the "old HAL policy".

The official beverage policy on most cruise lines, including HAL, has always been much more restrictive than the actual enforcement of the policy. I’m betting that not much has changed regarding enforcement of the beverage policy. As always, discretion is required.

NCL in LAX is the only place I've seen strict enforcement of the booze policy. Everything in passenger carry-on and checked luggage was confiscated and taken to a holding room. Passengers were required to go to the holding room to claim their luggage. Yet, in BCN there was a duty free shop in the NCL terminal and eveyrone was openly bringing on packages of booze. I've heard that CCL has really strict enforcement out of Florida, but I've never cruised on this line.

I suspect this is an effort by HAL to curb some of the abuse, but to totally band all booze from being brought onboard the ship would be a real hassel for crew and I'm betting it ain't gonna happen.

Ron

On my last cruise to Alaska we celebrated Indonesia Independence day. Lets just say there was a big party that night and a lot of waiters with not feeling to well.

Many Indonesians do not drink alchohol so your leftover wine may have gone down the drain..... or perhaps was handed to a friend who drinks.

We never bring liquor aboard with us so the change in policy means nothing to us personally. We always manage to find a wine from either the Pinnacle or MDR wine list to enjoy. We've consumed many a nice wine on board the ships. :)

Although if you get them at the right time' date=' they will tell you that they do drink when they have free time. And they are most appreciative if you give them beverages that you haven't finished. At least that has been our experience. [/size']

Many Indonesians are Muslim and they do not drink alcohol. Of course, not all Indonesians are Muslim.

Filipinos (bar staff) do drink. :)

Is that the Kendall-Jackson Pinot Noir? Someone gave us a bottle on HAL last year and I liked it a lot.

No. The quoted wine was a Foley Pinot Noir. Wonderful, IMO.

The other comment was on the KJ wines. Very reasonably priced on Celebrity. Not reasonably priced on HAL. KJ Vintner Reserve wines are very popular, and that's why I mentioned them.

In the future, I will take the my $10 Chardonnay (that HAL charges $52 dollars for) and take it on Princess. Princess policy is to charge a $15 corkage fee for any number of bottles over 1 bottle per adult. They will make $15 to do nothing, I will have my wine at what I feel is a reasonable price, and we will both be happy.:)

That is not true. They provide glasses unless you drink straight from the bottle. They also provide you with the ability to chill the wine should you choose to do so. And they provide disposal services for the empty bottle, cork, foil. They also provide you a place to enjoy the wine, usually with a fairly decent view. It's not nothing.

As far as the wine list, does every restaurant have the wine you like? Sometimes it's possible to find something similar that you might like better. It's very selfish and self-centered to declare that the line had better replace the current "swill" with your preferred wines. All those individual tastes required much more storage area than is available on the ships. Storage is at a premium on the ships as it is. Personalized bottles for everyone is a ridiculous demand. As is unlimited bottled brought aboard for on-ship consumption. The ship has to store the empties until it can offload the trash, and even when it does offload, there are fees for doing so. Perhaps the policy change was a result of a bottom line you had not considered -- taking care of trash, even recyclable trash, is not free for the ships. And while you can say all you want that if you bring the wine aboard it doesn't cost the ship anything, it actually does, and more than you would imagine.

I really don't understand how the new policy prevents anyone from sampling local wines. It just means they cane be sampled in your room. There is nothing to prevent anyone from buying local wines and packing those wines home for enjoyment there. I have done that when I toured the Barossa Valley. I use a product called WineBags to pack them in my luggage safely. There are other, similar products on the market.

I fully intend on buying a couple of bottles of ice wine while I am in Quebec for this cruise, just as had planned before the policy changed. I will have one bottle at sail-away and will pay the corkage fee, the other bottle I was always planning on bringing back with me to Australia. And there is nothing in the new policy that will prevent me from doing so.

That is not true. They provide glasses unless you drink straight from the bottle. They also provide you with the ability to chill the wine should you choose to do so. And they provide disposal services for the empty bottle, cork, foil. They also provide you a place to enjoy the wine, usually with a fairly decent view. It's not nothing.

As far as the wine list, does every restaurant have the wine you like? Sometimes it's possible to find something similar that you might like better. It's very selfish and self-centered to declare that the line had better replace the current "swill" with your preferred wines. All those individual tastes required much more storage area than is available on the ships. Storage is at a premium on the ships as it is. Personalized bottles for everyone is a ridiculous demand. As is unlimited bottled brought aboard for on-ship consumption. The ship has to store the empties until it can offload the trash, and even when it does offload, there are fees for doing so. Perhaps the policy change was a result of a bottom line you had not considered -- taking care of trash, even recyclable trash, is not free for the ships. And while you can say all you want that if you bring the wine aboard it doesn't cost the ship anything, it actually does, and more than you would imagine.

I really don't understand how the new policy prevents anyone from sampling local wines. It just means they cane be sampled in your room. There is nothing to prevent anyone from buying local wines and packing those wines home for enjoyment there. I have done that when I toured the Barossa Valley. I use a product called WineBags to pack them in my luggage safely. There are other, similar products on the market.

I fully intend on buying a couple of bottles of ice wine while I am in Quebec for this cruise, just as had planned before the policy changed. I will have one bottle at sail-away and will pay the corkage fee, the other bottle I was always planning on bringing back with me to Australia. And there is nothing in the new policy that will prevent me from doing so.

Great post. Two thumbs up. :)

Wow, oh wow. Lisa, is THIS the shocking change you said was coming this Fall, or is there more???

It really doesn't make sense to me. To put limits on the amount taken onboard at no charge, yes. But to put into storage all wine purchased in ports- that is really over the top. And to put the policy in place with no warning for those already booked and paid is really low.

Why not allow pax to bring aboard and just charge corkage as they embark in ports? (That which goes to storage doesn't get charged). As previous posters said, it decreases inventory storage and HAL gets a corkage fee for washing glasses, and it allow pax to pick up something locally along the way to try.

I wonder how many winery tour shorex HAL will now be able to sell?

And PS- it really won't effect us as we seldom have wine. When we do I only have an ounce or two (so our two allowed bottles would more than cover a cruise for us. )

Having said that, I now need a glass of Malbec. Maybe an extra ounce this time.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

I, for one, am livid about this! Just livid! I am 3 Star Mariner and soon to be 4 star....MAYBE! I have never sailed in less than an SA on HAL or a PS. Never an upgrade, always paid. I have two HAL cruises booked in 2014. One in an SA and one in a PS...oh, sorry, now a Pinnacle Suite. Just yesterday my friend and I decided to splurge after a year of hard work and a bonus. Debating on the NCL Breakaway in an OS in the Haven which had better dates or the Pinnacle suite week two after Nieuw Amsterdam sails from FLL. We reflected on how much we enjoy bringing our favorite wines and champagnes from Total Wines on HAL, none of which HAL carries and we are happy to pay the corkage fee for 7 bottles at dinner. Even though the dates for the Breakaway were better and we could drive to NY we decided to do HAL because we are loyal to them and love bringing our favorite wines onboard and having breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill. I am so glad that I looked at these boards today before completing the booking.

This made me so angry as it is such a radical change that we took our Pinnacle Suite money and just today booked an OS on the Breakaway out of NY to Bermuda in October. I have never viewed NCL in quite the same class as HAL but do prefer the butlers and now the option of the Haven restaurant. And, we can bring our favorite wines onboard and pay the corkage fee.

I am sure flames will be thrown at me for this decision but I am growing weary of the Carnival influence becoming more pervasive on HAL. BTW, I have ALWAYS gotten double points for my OBC spending on HAL. So, I am not cheap with parting with my money onboard in addition to paying top price for suites.

I will miss my free laundry while on NCL but will be platinum with them after this cruise as I sailed frequently with them until HAL earned my business in 2000. After I return from this cruise I will decide what to do for the February and May bookings that I have with HAL in 2014. I hope that someone from HAL is reading these boards. This decision, which was a breaking point for me in taking away something that was so treasured, cost you over $10,000 today. BTW, my typical OB account bill for a 7 day cruise was anywhere between $950 low to $1,900 high. Maybe you can start a barrel of beer and big belly package on a 7 day cruise for $599pp to make up for it. Or, is that already on Carnival?

I am not saying that HAL should have every wine that I like - and I don't think others are either - they need to improve their wine list.

If those that bring wine on board sail HAL and buy Hal's wine -is the recycling going to go down? i think not.

I don't see how you can sample local wines in your room if you are not allowed to bring them on - the local wines are in the different ports - the port of embarkation may not be the one that has the best offerings - as I said - I have no problem with a corkage fee - but going from one extreme to the other with no notice to the passengers isn't very good. Not everyone is on cruise critic after all.

When HAL brought out the new smoking policy it took effect 6 months later -not immediately - that gave people time to either (a) cheer (b) adapt or © change their bookings.

I pity the people getting onboard and not knowing in just a few days. They are going to be caught off guard and embarrassed and angry . One can often lead to the other

and a cruise in Canada/New England and/or the Caribbean is not the same as Europe - sorry, it's a whole different kettle of fish. Ice Wine I would bring home too - but you're talking Canada/New England Cruise. Caribbean, Canada to me it's no biggie. but Europe, the Med is a different situation - at least to us.

I'm with LindaM on this one - but obviously she and i do more Europe so perhaps that changes things. At least it does for us.

Each to their own - you're happy - others aren't.

fortunately we all have choices :D

oh and for flhawkeye - no flames from me for switching - why book a suite if you can't entertain or enjoy some time there - I usually have pop/juice for those that don't drink, HAL's liquor for those that prefer that and our wine that I have brought on board. It's part of the fun of having the space - enjoy yours on your cruise.

Edited by kazu

Oh man, I'm so disappointed by this. Just booking our first cruise ever, and this was one of the things that drew us to HAL. My mom and I had great visions of peaceful time on the balcony, glass of wine and a good book. It outweighed the risk that we'd be dealing with a lot of cigarette smoke on the balcony. Ugh!

I, for one, am livid about this! Just livid! I am 3 Star Mariner and soon to be 4 star....MAYBE! I have never sailed in less than an SA on HAL or a PS. Never an upgrade, always paid. I have two HAL cruises booked in 2014. One in an SA and one in a PS...oh, sorry, now a Pinnacle Suite. Just yesterday my friend and I decided to splurge after a year of hard work and a bonus. Debating on the NCL Breakaway in an OS in the Haven which had better dates or the Pinnacle suite week two after Nieuw Amsterdam sails from FLL. We reflected on how much we enjoy bringing our favorite wines and champagnes from Total Wines on HAL, none of which HAL carries and we are happy to pay the corkage fee for 7 bottles at dinner. Even though the dates for the Breakaway were better and we could drive to NY we decided to do HAL because we are loyal to them and love bringing our favorite wines onboard and having breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill. I am so glad that I looked at these boards today before completing the booking.

This made me so angry as it is such a radical change that we took our Pinnacle Suite money and just today booked an OS on the Breakaway out of NY to Bermuda in October. I have never viewed NCL in quite the same class as HAL but do prefer the butlers and now the option of the Haven restaurant. And, we can bring our favorite wines onboard and pay the corkage fee.

I am sure flames will be thrown at me for this decision but I am growing weary of the Carnival influence becoming more pervasive on HAL. BTW, I have ALWAYS gotten double points for my OBC spending on HAL. So, I am not cheap with parting with my money onboard in addition to paying top price for suites.

I will miss my free laundry while on NCL but will be platinum with them after this cruise as I sailed frequently with them until HAL earned my business in 2000. After I return from this cruise I will decide what to do for the February and May bookings that I have with HAL in 2014. I hope that someone from HAL is reading these boards. This decision, which was a breaking point for me in taking away something that was so treasured, cost you over $10,000 today. BTW, my typical OB account bill for a 7 day cruise was anywhere between $950 low to $1,900 high. Maybe you can start a barrel of beer and big belly package on a 7 day cruise for $599pp to make up for it. Or, is that already on Carnival?

Sounds familiar.

We are also 3 star, got there in 3 years due to suite bonus and onboard spending.

We have only ever booked deluxe suites and paid high prices for them.

HAL does not have anything we like when it comes to wine. It is very standard, and everything is not for everyone.

They do not carry one Chianti, one Sangria or one flavored sparkling wine. The Port? Barely any. Dessert wines? No.

We are doing NCL next year. Our love affair with HAL is over.

If they had a beverage package like X, then we would reconsider. Or charged corkage fees for everything? We would also reconsider.

Buying a bottle to take a gamle to see if we like it? No way.

Got a wine package last year as a gift and hated all of it.

This year we have booked a family retreat cabana, thermal suite, 2 villas on HMC, 2 bottles of liquor, a couples massage, $2000 in pre paid onboard spending as well as the cabin.

Next year we will spend 0 with them.

Such a shame. Keep up with the other lines or lose the younger crowd. bottom line.

You will love your HAVEN suite. So many perks, and your own restaurant, amazing.

And it is not that they changed the policy, it is just that they are not honoring it with people who have booked already.

That is a shady ripoff. If I changed my policy's after clients booked, I would get sued. HAL gets away with it, without apology to people that have paid them in good faith.

It is also that they have a crappy wine list, and crappy beverage package that compares to Carnival. It comes nowhere near X.

I will sail Carnival when I want to. I do not want Carnival when I am sailing HAL.

Edited by surfergirle