Where do we go through customs on SB/NB Maasdam?

laurmac

We're travelling roundtrip on the Maasdam from Montreal. Can someone tell me the Canada Customs/US Immigration process on each leg. Does it happen on board or at one of the ports?

Thanks for your help!

You'll go through customs in the debarkation port (Montreal and Boston, for instance); you'll go through immigration in the first port in the country opposite of where you depart (Halifax and Bar Harbor, for instance).

That's how it has been at least, I guess subject to change but I don't believe it has.

We did a immigration check on ship in Bar Harbour.In Boston we were given Canada customs forms to be handed in to ship's office before we reached Canadian waters.The girl at front office told me if Canadian agents had any questions we would be called on reaching Halifax.We were not called and only heard a few names called,though I guess some people could have been phoned.

What if I decide I don't want to get off the ship in Bar Habour or Halifax?

In Bar Harbor you still need to show up and say "Hi", and show your passport (or other acceptable ID).

It doesn't take long, but it is a pain to get up early if you don't plan to leave the ship, I agree.

So I am picturing heading back to Canada after leaving Bar Harbour - we're Canadians and will have started the trip in Montreal (Doing a B2B). I hand my Canada Customs form in before we get to Halifax, and show my passport. If they want to talk to me further, they will.

But what stops me from shopping at Duty Free on the ship and picking up all kinds of Alcohol after Halifax, but before I get off the ship in Montreal? Not that I would do this of course, just saying that, knowing the Canadian Government as well as I do, they are not likely to allow a loophole like this! And allowing us to use the "Honour System" is even less likely.

So I am picturing heading back to Canada after leaving Bar Harbour - we're Canadians and will have started the trip in Montreal (Doing a B2B). I hand my Canada Customs form in before we get to Halifax, and show my passport. If they want to talk to me further, they will.

But what stops me from shopping at Duty Free on the ship and picking up all kinds of Alcohol after Halifax, but before I get off the ship in Montreal? Not that I would do this of course, just saying that, knowing the Canadian Government as well as I do, they are not likely to allow a loophole like this! And allowing us to use the "Honour System" is even less likely.

Immigration checks the person entering a country.

Customs checks the things.

Your Customs check is always when you remove the items from the ship upon entering the country and that is when you have all your luggage gathered and in your possession....... that is Montreal, in this case for just the reasons you state.

You do not have any check or control when leaving Canada, you are Canadians. For citizenship, Canadian Immigration will look at your passport in Halifax on the way back but not when you leave the country. For merchandise, you will be controlled by customs when you get back to Montréal. For the USA, you will have to show your passport in Bar Harbour.

Archived