Quick Aix en Provence review with photos

yokeagan

From what I understand it is a University town. But we were there in the summer and the definition of University town in France is a little different than one in the U.S. What were you lookingfor in a University town?

Since we're both academics, we've always just enjoyed being around university towns, not only in the U.S. but in various towns and cities around the world: They seem to have a certain "vibe" that feels comfortable and pleasing to us.

We're trying to decide whether to center ourselves for several days post-cruise in Aix or Avignon or Arles. I was leaning towards Aix, but your review makes it sound fairly boring. Actually, that may be good for us since we are looking for someplace quiet and relaxing to stay, from which we can hire small group day tours.

Thanks for all your good reporting and photos.

Since we're both academics, we've always just enjoyed being around university towns, not only in the U.S. but in various towns and cities around the world: They seem to have a certain "vibe" that feels comfortable and pleasing to us.

We're trying to decide whether to center ourselves for several days post-cruise in Aix or Avignon or Arles. I was leaning towards Aix, but your review makes it sound fairly boring. Actually, that may be good for us since we are looking for someplace quiet and relaxing to stay, from which we can hire small group day tours.

Thanks for all your good reporting and photos.

Hi poss,

it's hard to make a decision!

yokeagan is right, you will not find the same vibe in a French university town as in the US. All state universities are considered to be the same academically and there is no real sports rivalry amongst them. It's more "business" than college spirit. I live in a university town in the US and have lived next to a university town in France. Not the same, you may not even know it's there.

You might want to look at the variety of activities you can find in each place. Avignon is the largest and has major festivals, day cruises on the Rhone, etc. Also look at the proximity to other places for day tours, etc.

The following websites may be useful. They list tours, hotels, etc. Look for special events at the times you will be there. For that matter also search for the university at Aix and see if the may have any events, etc you might like.

http://www.avignon-et-provence.com/provence-tourism.htm#.UlQZvHbD8iQ

http://www.provenceweb.fr/e/provpil.htm

http://www.provenceguide.co.uk/

Hi marazul: How kind you are!

Yes, it is difficult to make this decision (but what a luxury!) Especially as we're older, it's become increasingly difficult, because we have many more "needs" than when we were young and more fit and could just wing our way through Europe. Ah, what great memories! This is why most of our travels are by cruise ship now-- no hassles, no figuring things out, no trying to haul luggage, no worry about train connections, etc.

But I SO want to stay in France post-cruise for five days or so. From everything I've gathered, it does seem as if Avignon is the right place for us. The only problem is that I keep thinking of it as a large, noisy, not real clean city-- anything but restful, which is the thing that matters most to us. If we could stay at one of those lovely properties outside the city that would be great. But without our own transportation, I fear we'll be unable to find someplace really quiet and peaceful. Hotel L'Europe looks like the best bet, but I can't believe it's really quiet, being right there in the center of things. And I wish I could keep our nightly rate as much under $500 as possible.

OP: Please excuse this intrusion into your post. And marazul, thanks again for being so thoughtful and encouraging.

Hi marazul: How kind you are!

Yes, it is difficult to make this decision (but what a luxury!) Especially as we're older, it's become increasingly difficult, because we have many more "needs" than when we were young and more fit and could just wing our way through Europe. Ah, what great memories! This is why most of our travels are by cruise ship now-- no hassles, no figuring things out, no trying to haul luggage, no worry about train connections, etc.

But I SO want to stay in France post-cruise for five days or so. From everything I've gathered, it does seem as if Avignon is the right place for us. The only problem is that I keep thinking of it as a large, noisy, not real clean city-- anything but restful, which is the thing that matters most to us. If we could stay at one of those lovely properties outside the city that would be great. But without our own transportation, I fear we'll be unable to find someplace really quiet and peaceful. Hotel L'Europe looks like the best bet, but I can't believe it's really quiet, being right there in the center of things. And I wish I could keep our nightly rate as much under $500 as possible.

OP: Please excuse this intrusion into your post. And marazul, thanks again for being so thoughtful and encouraging.

Check these:

Hotel La Mirande

Hotel de l'Horloge

Hôtel Cloitre Saint Louis Avignon

Prices depend on when you are going.

Marazul, just curious: Why would you suggest La Mirande over Hotel d'Europe? They seem to be similar in location and fairly similar in price. Do you know both and prefer Mirande? Both those hotels get many "poor" and even "terrible" comments on Trip Advisor-- but of course that's par for the course; there's always dissatisfaction, no matter how great a place is. Thank you so much!

Marazul, just curious: Why would you suggest La Mirande over Hotel d'Europe? They seem to be similar in location and fairly similar in price. Do you know both and prefer Mirande? Both those hotels get many "poor" and even "terrible" comments on Trip Advisor-- but of course that's par for the course; there's always dissatisfaction, no matter how great a place is. Thank you so much!

Just another place for you to compare since you mentioned Europe. We were looking at their websites earlier in the year and I seem to recall they all claimed to be sound proof. They are both 5 stars, so they should live up to their claims. French hotel inspectors tend to be pretty accurate with their star ratings. I think it was La Mirande that had a very nice garden and garden rooms should be quieter than street side. They all had lots of photos in their website.

We did not go to Avignon this trip because we decided to meet friends elsewhere. We have stayed in Avignon previously, but it has been a while and hotels do change, so I don't recommend any place unless I have been there recently. And I do not pay much attention to Trip Advisor reviews.

Archived