Redeeming visa points for upgrade

I am trying to remember and figure out the best way to redeem my visa credit card points and have several questions. I was thinking of booking a junior suite on a 7 night cruise to Alaska. I was considering using the 75,000 points for the upgrade from a balcony to a junior suite. Would I be able to book the junior suite I want from the beginning, or must I book the balcony then call to upgrade?

If I can book the junior suite, I would assume when I call to have my certificate applied, would credit me accordingly? What balcony category would I pay to get the upgrade?

Do I need my certificate "in hand" before the booking?

If anyone advise could advise me of the specifics, I would appreciate it. I searched through many of the past posts, but am still not sure of the upgrade with a specific cabin in mind that I want.

I am trying to remember and figure out the best way to redeem my visa credit card points and have several questions. I was thinking of booking a junior suite on a 7 night cruise to Alaska. I was considering using the 75,000 points for the upgrade from a balcony to a junior suite. Would I be able to book the junior suite I want from the beginning, or must I book the balcony then call to upgrade?

If I can book the junior suite, I would assume when I call to have my certificate applied, would credit me accordingly? What balcony category would I pay to get the upgrade?

Do I need my certificate "in hand" before the booking?

If anyone advise could advise me of the specifics, I would appreciate it. I searched through many of the past posts, but am still not sure of the upgrade with a specific cabin in mind that I want.

Book the stateroom you ultimately want first. You can apply the points redemption later. They will credit you with the difference between the balcony stateroom and the Junior Suite. What I don't know is which category of balcony stateroom they will use for their price point. However, you can call the redemptions people at 888-305-4626 and ask them exactly how they compute the credit.

I don't know what ship you are on, but when we took Rhapsody last year, the difference between a balcony stateroom and a JS was not all that much, maybe $250pp. So check your prices and don't short change yourself. If you cannot get $750 credit as a minimum from 75K points, then don't do the upgrade, use the points for reduction in cruise fare.

Still trying to clarify...

So, say you book a balcony room that costs $3600 for 2 people. The junior suite costs $6000. If you booked the balcony and used the visa points to upgrade to the balcony, you would only pay $3600. However, if you book the junior suite, then apply the visa points certificate, would have the difference deducted from your bill for a total cost of $4600 ($6000-3600 = $2400 difference; this amt. deducted from original cost of junior suite at $6000)? It seems like the $1000 would be a pretty big difference.

Still trying to clarify...

So, say you book a balcony room that costs $3600 for 2 people. The junior suite costs $6000. If you booked the balcony and used the visa points to upgrade to the balcony, you would only pay $3600. However, if you book the junior suite, then apply the visa points certificate, would have the difference deducted from your bill for a total cost of $4600 ($6000-3600 = $2400 difference; this amt. deducted from original cost of junior suite at $6000)? It seems like the $1000 would be a pretty big difference.

No, you missing the fact that the 75K redemption is limited to $1200 for the redemption you are considering, no matter what the difference is between a balcony and JS. It also does not matter whether you book a balcony first or JS first, the amount of credit from the 75K points will be the same.

Archived