"Suite" passengers anecdotes...

Cashew14

[quote name='magandab']There is another reality for many of us. Some people are still working full-time and get one chance per year, or less, to take a cruise. Those people want to get the most out of their TIME, rather than the most cruises for their money. We all have different needs and wants and that's a good thing, or many of us would be left out.[/QUOTE]

Agree. DH takes so little vacation that when he does, he wants the bells and whistles. The rest of our lives are working class coach lol

[quote name='Saphire']We have never experienced any elitist behavior while on board.

But something happened on our last cruise that made me uncomfortable. When we arrived at the port around 10:45 am there was a long line outside. We went to the end and knew the doors would be opening soon. A few minutes later a woman with a loud voice started saying "Are there any suite passenger, any suite passengers in line?" We raised a hand and she came and pulled us out, saying "follow me" as she lead the way and we walked by dozens of people. I found that pretty embarrassing as I don't like to draw that kind of attention, and would have been just as happy waiting with everyone else for the doors to open.[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]But not so embarrassed as to: 1. not identify yourselves as suite passengers, nor 2. decline to follow. [/COLOR]:rolleyes:

[COLOR=DarkRed]I do not feel any embarrassment when I participate in benefits to which I am entitled.[/COLOR] [COLOR=DarkRed]I enjoy and am thankful for that which is included in the price I paid for my cruise.[/COLOR] [COLOR=DarkRed]I expect others to do the same, with neither conceit nor embarrassment.[/COLOR]

[quote name='startwin']The posters above have already explained the origin. The word is now used flippantly to describe everyone other than suite passengers.:D[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B]You will NEVER hear a Suite Passenger refer to a passenger in a lower category as "Steerage!" It is almost always those who choose to cruise in a lower category wwhen referring to themselves and setting the difference between , "Us and Them"

[SIZE=4]I[SIZE=4] find the term steerage to be a derogatory term and do not refer to anyone as steerage passengers.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Joanie[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] Edited by IRL_Joanie

[quote name='IRL_Joanie'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Blue][B]You will NEVER hear a Suite Passenger refer to a passenger in a lower category as "Steerage!" It is almost always those who choose to cruise in a lower category wwhen referring to themselves and setting the difference between , "Us and Them"

[SIZE=4]I[SIZE=4] find the term steerage to be a derogatory term and do not refer to anyone as steerage passengers.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Joanie[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Not necessarily so.

Approximately 10 years ago we sailed on the Ryndam out of Tampa, seven day Caribbean cruise. We were in an Inside Cabin, A Deck. For some unknown reason we were invited to various parties and dinner with the Captain which included Suite passengers only. At one of the cocktail parties a gentlemen who was in a Suite said to me that he really liked these types of parties "so he would not have to mingle with those other people" :eek: !

He was obviously referring to us in those lower class cabins.

[quote name='boards']Does the Visita Suite on the Maasdam put you the class of being in a suite, because wasn't that catagory at one time a veranda?[/QUOTE]

Vista Suite is not a Suite. It was originally a veranda.

We were in a Vista Suite on the Ryndam in March 2013 on the Navigation Deck. While cruising I stopped by the Neptune Lounge to find out it was reserved for only Suite People. I told the HAL rep though we were not Suite People we were "Sweet" People. :D

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]Sorry, but No.

Priority boarding is for Neptune and Pinnacle Suite guests.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Sail, we use SS suites and the last few cruises we have been given priority check in and boarding as well. When we were asked for our boarding passes it seems our names were on the list the rep consulted. I really thought that we were only entitled to priority check in and until the last two cruises that is all we got.

Go figure :confused:

[quote name='Topsham']As Tri Wyono, long time Maitr'd on the old ROTTERDAM used to explain to passengers why the ship had two dining rooms....

"Before 1972 we used to have two classes of passenger on board, now we have no class at all."[/QUOTE]

When I first started cruising, one dining room was for smoking and the other was non smoking! Wonder if that was the same as two different "classes" of people? ;)

[quote name='sapper1']Sail, we use SS suites and the last few cruises we have been given priority check in and boarding as well. When we were asked for our boarding passes it seems our names were on the list the rep consulted. I really thought that we were only entitled to priority check in and until the last two cruises that is all we got.

Go figure :confused:[/QUOTE]

Sapper - I think you are 4* no? If i am correct, that would be the reason for the priority boarding. When they see your boarding pass, they see you are 4* :D

[quote name='kazu']Sapper - I think you are 4* no? If i am correct, that would be the reason for the priority boarding. When they see your boarding pass, they see you are 4* :D[/QUOTE]

And we have only been 4 star for the last two cruises!! Mystery solved. Thank you.

[quote name='sapper1']Sail, we use SS suites and the last few cruises we have been given priority check in and boarding as well. When we were asked for our boarding passes it seems our names were on the list the rep consulted. I really thought that we were only entitled to priority check in and until the last two cruises that is all we got.

Go figure :confused:[/quote]

[quote name='kazu']Sapper - I think you are 4* no? If i am correct, that would be the reason for the priority boarding. When they see your boarding pass, they see you are 4* :D[/quote]

[B]

Exactly.
Priority boarding is a benefit of Four and Five Star Mariner status.
Priority is not attached to "SS" cabins.

[/B]

[quote name='Cristiano']My first 'cruise' was in 1951 and it was in 3rd class from Genoa to Sydney ..... Then again I was only 6 months old !!!! So class distinction was not an issue :)[/QUOTE]

They obviously didn't know you were a first class sort of guy. :D:D
I'm still waiting for FB pictures of that new house. :)

[quote name='boards']Does the Visita Suite on the Maasdam put you the class of being in a suite, because wasn't that catagory at one time a veranda?[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]As the others have said, the Vista suite on the Maasdam does not come with suite privileges. But it does come with double Mariner days. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Confusing, isn't it. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]As the others have said, the Vista suite on the Maasdam does not come with suite privileges. But it does come with double Mariner days. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1][COLOR=Red][B]Confusing, isn't it[/B][/COLOR]. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
Yes, it is. I wonder why HAL calls them suites when the don't treat them as such.

No need to answer, as I know why. It's a marketing ploy.

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=royalblue]As the others have said, the Vista suite on the Maasdam does not come with suite privileges. But it does come with double Mariner days. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Confusing, isn't it. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

AWWWWwww - okay - we will make the best of it. One thing that is good about it is I convinced DW to book a veranda cabin - DW is a little concerned about being on balconies, so I am hoping for really good weather.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#4169e1]Confusing, isn't it. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
None of the "suites" meets my definition of a suite: "A series of connected rooms used as a living unit." Unless there is a Pinnacle suite somewhere with a door between rooms, they are all single rooms. To Holland America, "suite" is marketing speak for bigger cabin.

[quote name='whogo']None of the "suites" meets my definition of a suite: "A series of connected rooms used as a living unit." Unless there is a Pinnacle suite somewhere with a door between rooms, they are all single rooms. To Holland America, "suite" is marketing speak for bigger cabin.[/quote]I agree. All the cruise lines must be using the other definition of suite: a matching set of furniture. :rolleyes::D

[quote name='whogo']None of the "suites" meets my definition of a suite: "A series of connected rooms used as a living unit." Unless there is a Pinnacle suite somewhere with a door between rooms, they are all single rooms. To Holland America, "suite" is marketing speak for bigger cabin.[/quote]

[B] Literally speaking, you are correct.
Practically speaking, HAL Neptune and Pinnacle suites are lovely, large, comfortable cabins, larger than comparable on many other cruise lines and with great verandahs.

[/B]

Have to agree with you. We were 'upgraded' to a suite once. We thought it would be wonderful. We fully expected a suite, as in what a hotel would refer to as a suite.

Well, it did not meet our expectations. It was simply a slightly larger verandah cabin with some perks that we could take or leave. It did not sell us on suites. Actually quite the opposite. It confirmed our decision to stick with a verandah cabin. But, we do not entertain in our cabin as some do. Edited by iancal