Fishing Charters in Ketchikan

mtgibson

Are any Salmon fishing charters in Ketchikan near the cruise ships or are they all out at Kundson cove marina, which looks to me to be 15 to 20 miles away? Any recomendations? I will be with my wife & 2 boys (9 & 6).

We just got back from fishing with Northern Charters in Ketchikan (June 20)and my box of Smoked salmon just arrived...YUMMY!!! The guys name is Ken and he'll meet you at the dock. We passed an eagle and Ken whistled and he flew over for a fish!!!

We chartered with Ketchikan Charter Boats and we literally left from the cruise dock.

After completing our license and salmon tags at the KCB office across the street from the dock, we walked back across the street and down some stairs to our awaiting fishing boat.

Capt. Dan Leathers cast off the lines and away we went, not 15 minutes after walking off the Zaandam.

We were not out of sight of the cruise dock when we set the downriggers and started fishing.

It wasn't 10 minutes before we yelled "fish on" and eventually brought up a 75 lb halibut.

We ended up with a couple of 25 lb kings to boot and were never more than 20 minutes from the ship. We fished the opening of the George and Carroll inlets using herring.

Once we returned to the dock, our wives were able to stand on the veranda deck and take photos.

Be prepared to pay handsomely for the processing and shipping. We paid $250. But, worth every penny.

Good fishing!

Sam

I don't know how many boats he has, I think one. He was at the dock and we went down a gang plank to the boat. He guareenteed he'd go with only 2 if he could not get another couple. And he honored that agreement 100%.

We had great luck and a great time with True Alaskan charters. Three Halibut and two salmon and we were only out for 4 hours. My arms still ache from all the reeling. He is a local and has some great stories about Ketchikan too.

Good luck and enjoy it.

We fished with Dan Leathers.

Great time, even in the rain.

Got 5 keeper Salmon, Released one small King.

Least experienced fisherman had a nice King, but he got away when he was within one foot of the net.

Oh well.

Fish Arrives Friday.

We were four adult males and one 7 yr old male. Capt Dan was GREAT with the boy.

Jim

We're taking our grandson, age 11, in June 2006 and his greatest desire is to fish for salmon. How do you contact Dan Leathers or the others that you guys are talking about? What is the cost for fishing etc? Thanks for your help. It's his first ever cruise and he's very excited. :)

A couple of websites, where you will find phone numbers, e-mail addresses and rates are:

http://truealaskancharters.com/

http://ketchikanfishing.net/

1/2 day rates are in the $120-$150 range. All day runs $180-$230. Each fisherman will also have to get a one-day license and, depending on time of year, perhaps a king salmon tag. If you want to have your catch processed and shipped home, you will have to factor in an additional $1.60 to $2.00/pound of processed fish (or more, depending on how far it is shipped). You can ask for a cost from each company.

Another option is to simply rent a pole and purchase bait. Haven't investigated those options, but I know they are available.

We are fishing with Daryll Welk on Aug. 19 in Ketichikan. He seems like a very nice guy. He is out of Knudson Cove. I didn't realize it was that far to the pier. Anyone fished with Him?

It wasn't so much the processing fee, but OMG the shipping cost!! Fed Ex cost almost as much as the smoking did.

Glad you had a good time and got some delicious smoked fish. Anymore, it's catch and release for us in Alaska, then I come home, buy some Silver (coho) salmon locally and smoke it in my "little chief". Works great.

nancy2702-I sure hope your grandson has a great time. Take lots of pictures! At his age he'll build some memories that should last a lifetime.

-Monte

Archived