Tipping Program Manager

Poulsbo Cruisers

Our Vantage river cruise is drawing to a close. During our disembarkation briefing, the program managers informed us that Vantage recommended tipping the program managers 4 to 6 euros per day per person. Since this is our first river cruise I was just curious if this was normal. They have done an excellent job, but we had never run in to this before. Tipping gets pricey after tipping the crew the recommended 9 to 11 euros per day per person.

Tipping the program manager 4-6 euros is typical on most river cruise lines. There have been many occasions where I tip more and but once on AMA the PM got nothing from me due to her arrogance and could care less attitude to myself of some other passengers. I'm sure I just got a bad PM.

AMA was 3 euro for the CD and 12 euro for staff, per person per day. Tips of 1 or 2 euro for the tour guides and bus drivers is not uncommon either(that is per trip and paid at the time). These tips for all companies are known up front in their pre cruise material. Scenic includes their tips in the price.

Avalon recommended 3 Euros per person per day (84 for the trip) and 12 pp for the rest of the crew (336 for the trip) for a total of 30 per day. We gave our Cruise Director an extra 20 Euros because he made arrangements for me to see a dentist in Regensberg, took us there, translated all the documents for us and also loaned us an extra 200 Euros just in case I didn't have enough on me. You can't ask for better service than that. We also gave a little extra, in cash, directly to our maid and 3 of our favourite waiters.

Archived