Hotel at Athens Airport?

Marlene43

Do you really want to spend the day and evening at an airport hotel when you could be spending it in Athens? sigh.....

We love Athens so much the thought of being so close and not enjoying that amazing city seems painful to me. :)

What time is your flight the next day?

We stayed at the Ledra Marriott and the Hilton in Athens in the past. I would recommend the Ledra Marriott again, has a great view of the Acropolis and a roof top pool/bar. Last time we flew from Athens, did not really notice any specific hotels at the airport. Also did not have any problems getting a taxi to the airport.

If you want to check on what's at the airport. Google Athens Airport hotels... am sure you will find info.

We stayed in Athens at Hotel Attalos (budget hotel with great view from rooftop bar). In the middle of the night we rolled our suitcases a few blocks to Syntagma Square and caught the wonderful express bus to the airport. We saved tons of money and had a wonderful evening in Athens.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. We are working on them. Our flight is at 8:30 AM and it takes a lot of paperwork with the cruise line to get off the ship before 6:30 AM and then find easy/timely transportation to the Airport. Our plan was to get off the ship later in the evening after dinner, cab to the airport and stay there for the night before catching our early plane

Thanks for all the great suggestions. We are working on them. Our flight is at 8:30 AM and it takes a lot of paperwork with the cruise line to get off the ship before 6:30 AM and then find easy/timely transportation to the Airport. Our plan was to get off the ship later in the evening after dinner, cab to the airport and stay there for the night before catching our early plane

So it sounds like you have an overnight onboard the ship?

It may sound daunting but arranging to get off the ship can be done. A friend and I were able to do that in Athens in Fall 2012 -- we got off the ship in the dead of night (around 3:00 am?) to get to the airport for an early flight home at around 6:30 am.

It was a little strange getting off the ship in the middle of the night. We had assistance down the gangway with our luggage but then had to walk around the usual terminals (all closed at that hour) to a port gate for vehicle traffic. We walked through it with no problem and then met our taxi at the agreed spot for transport to the airport.

On the plus side, there is none of the famous Athens traffic at that time of day.

On the minus side, the port is very dark and eerie at that time of day and literally no one is around. We felt a bit like two stowaways creeping off the ship.

If you plan to get off the ship at times when few others are doing so, you might want to consider arranging for a private car service pick you up and take you to the airport. I would explore this on the Greek port boards, for how easy it is to get a taxi at off times and recommendations for private car service.

Every time we have been in port in Athens, there were lots of taxi but the ship and the terminal are some distance in most cases. Generally the port has a shuttle bus, but I have no idea how long that shuttle runs. You might consider looking at the port of Athens web site for more information as well.

I looked into airport hotels, and there are only one or two--neither is right at the terminal. One is a Hilton, I can't recall the other. I also don't think either offerd a free shuttle. Min the end we decided to stay in Athens and take a private car service the next day. I'm glad we did, as our flight was significantly delayed, giving us an extra six hours in Athens that we would have spent sitting in a hotel or the airport otherwise.

Archived