What ports do you say no thanks ill stay on the ship?

vols_159

I, like most people, have favorite and not so favorite ports of call on some cruises. But I still will go ashore, even just to the immediate port area for a change of scene, even if I don't find anything further away to interest me. I am not a 'beach person', so I don't particularly like stopping at the cruise lines various 'private islands' or in some cases, 'private beaches'...however, I do enjoy the barbecue lunch they serve with real flame grilled burgers and steaks that are not always available aboard the ship.

My favorite itineraries are to cold weather locations like New England/Canada, Alaska, and someday to the Baltic destinations....

Edited by bob brown

Nassau, Belize, and after we visit Jamacia on our next cruise it most likely be on the list from what I have read about the country.

I don't get it about Belize. It's absolutely gorgeous! The area directly around the port isn't the best, but I'll never stay on the ship in Belize. The people are great and so are the spicy Belizean chicken tamales - and I don't like tamales.

Edited by GORDONCHICK

Being on the left coast, we've been on the Baja and Mexican Riviera a number of times. Enough so that we probably won't go on a cruise there again. If for some reason we did, Ensenada is a place we don't care for. Mazatlan could be skipped and not missed. I think 75% of the pax stay onboard in Ensenada.

We've gone in the other direction and have always and always would get off in Santa Barbara, even if it's just to walk around.

Mine Nassau Cozumel. They are on nearly every Eastern or western sailing! Ill stay on the ship!

With those I may do a little shopping. but yes, usually I do not take excursions when there as I have been those ports too much. I would add Freeport. I also hated Jamaica with their pushy sellers who make those guys at Cozumel and Nassau look like novices. I have only been to Jamaica once but I have no desire whatsoever to EVER go back.

Being on the left coast, we've been on the Baja and Mexican Riviera a number of times. Enough so that we probably won't go on a cruise there again. If for some reason we did, Ensenada is a place we don't care for. Mazatlan could be skipped and not missed. I think 75% of the pax stay onboard in Ensenada.

We've gone in the other direction and have always and always would get off in Santa Barbara, even if it's just to walk around.

We are doing those 2 wineries in Ensenada. It was cheap-$35 a person for the tour, so we said we may as well. I doubt we will be going back anytime soon,so it is okay-lol! Airfare is a big chunk of the budget.

For us, it would be Antigua. We didn't like being accosted by the locals at the dock area. I was surprised to see Barbados and St. Lucia listed as those were two of our favorites, but things may have changed in the last several years. I'm not fond of any Mexican ports and will probably stay on board at Cozumel. DW does not like Key West, says it gives her a bad vibe, so we probably will stay on board there also. It will be our first time in Nassau, and we want to see Atlantis. After that, we are sailing to see the big, new ships, where before we went for the ports, so will probably stay onboard in ports we have been to before. We'll check out the gated area at Falmouth, otherwise won't go off ship in Jamaica, although we did enjoy the falls when we were there before. Great thread!

I agree with the Freeport, Grand Cayman comments - not really in any hurry to return to the Caribbean, we have been there enough. A lot of those places I would only do a tour of, the towns are not worth walking around. And I love being on board when it is deserted and quiet. On our last cruise we skipped Victoria, BC because of it being the last night. We wanted to enjoy our last dinner and hang out in the lounges. I would have liked to see it though.

I agree with the Freeport, Grand Cayman comments - not really in any hurry to return to the Caribbean, we have been there enough. A lot of those places I would only do a tour of, the towns are not worth walking around. And I love being on board when it is deserted and quiet. On our last cruise we skipped Victoria, BC because of it being the last night. We wanted to enjoy our last dinner and hang out in the lounges. I would have liked to see it though.

Yes, I am burnt out on the Caribbean too but I a willing to take a shorter cruise for my daughter who just loves being on ship. We have seen all of the Eastern and Western Caribbean ports. There are still some southern Caribbean ports I have not seen, so I would book a southern Caribbean for a longer cruise.

I haven't ever been on a Western Caribbean cruise, but out of the ports I have been to on my various cruises, I'd say that if I was going to skip one it would probably be Grand Turk. Outside of the tourist-trappy cruise center area there just isn't a whole lot to do or see there. I also don't think I'd go out of my way to do a bunch of stuff in Victoria if I visited there again either, since it's a bit of a hike from the cruise ship dock to the downtown area, and I could easily do a day trip or overnight stay from here and be a lot less rushed doing it.

Edited by Vexorg

I find something quality to do at every port. I started to stay on the ship at Nassau once, and then the thought dawned on me that for years and years we land vacationed in the same few spots as a tradition. If we can see the same, worn-out beach towns on land, then we can certainly see a port more than once. That may just be me though :D Happy cruising!!!

I find something quality to do at every port. I started to stay on the ship at Nassau once, and then the thought dawned on me that for years and years we land vacationed in the same few spots as a tradition. If we can see the same, worn-out beach towns on land, then we can certainly see a port more than once. That may just be me though :D Happy cruising!!!

Oh some ports there is not anything that really interests me. Whereas I can visit some cities I enjoy and have a lot of interest in over and over. I love Savannah, Charleston and always do something I want to do/see. I can also spend a week by the beach just being lazy,nothing new, beyond walks and reading a good novel and I can do that over and over. Some ports have little there that I find interesting, I am not crazy about their beaches and have enough souvenirs- so I see those as a pool day on ship.

To momof meg.

Livorno itself.

Have been to Florence & Pisa many times on land vacations. Am merely referring to Livorno itself which, IMO, doesn't have great individuality. It does have a lovely piazza where onecan to stretch on'e legs, an interesting covered shopping area and a fantastic creative arts centre. But not enough to get me off the ship itself unless I were antsy or using Livorno as a getaway spot.

anything in Mexico. CoCo Cay. will not rush off in Nassau any longer.

currently have no plans to get off in Bar Harbor next month either.

for next spring, Santa Barbara holds no interest and will probably only do a quick walk around Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco.

I am shocked about the comment regarding Bar Harbor- which is home to Acadia National Park. That park is absolutely gorgeous and there are so many things to do in order to enjoy the beauty of this American treasure. I think you are missing a wonderful opportunity to see this park, not to mention the small town of Bar Harbor is adorable.

We go ashore at every port. Sometimes we go on an excursion and other times just walk around and window shop.

Maybe someday we might get to the point that we can't get off the ship because of a physical problem. But in the meantime we will do as much as we can to enjoy ourselves.

After all, seeing all these places is why we cruise, even if it means that we sometimes see the same port more than once.

Well, I've expressed my opinion about Jamaica, but if you want to be beaten up by the rah-rah-rah Jamaica cheerleaders who get snarky if you don't love Jamaica like they do, then here's the thread for you:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1485967&page=11

Edited by GlendaleCruiser