Benefits for Staying Loyal to a CL

bubbalu

I know each cruise line offers benefits to its loyal customers based on the number of cruises you've taken with them. It's a reward more or less for staying loyal. As a new cruiser, I want to explore different lines. destinations, etc. But, my DH wants to stay the course with one in order to get the loyalty rewards (i.e, free internet, laundry service, etc.). As experienced cruisers, would love to hear from you to find out what you think. Also, is there any one cruise line out there that offers the best benefits? (I'm trying to save myself from doing the research on my own). Thanks!

Each cruise line is different. For instance if you go with Royal Carb and have 5 or more cruises then it counts on Celebrity as well but if you have less then it doesn't. On Princess you get free laundry with their higher levels (5 or more cruises, plus at top level free internet, but they have laundry machines on board if you don't). As you see from my signature, I have gone on several cruiselines. If I had stuck to Princess, after this cruise I would be entiled to more things but most is not worth it. I could use the laundry but I do not need internet when I'm on vacation.

We've been on 10 cruises using 4 different lines. Like CaptData, the perks would be nice but not worth missing out on the different ships, ports, routes, and more that are available out there.

2006 I hope we can try yet another line (or two).

There are people who only cruise one line. They enjoy it and, for them, it's the way to go. We like the variety.

The one thing I don't want is free internet. Cruise time = time to get away.

Charlie

As has been stated, each line is different. NCL for example does not have levels. You become a latitudes member after your first cruise and that is about it. Perks include separate check-in line, some free internet minutes (with a package), discounts on drinks at certain times in one of the lounges, and some discounts on cruises. There may also be a spa discount, but I don't remember. We have done a number of NCL's because of the ship/itinerary and the fact that we use the NCL MasterCard. After our next cruise, we may look at something else.

Bubbalu,

I don't believe that there is any reason for loyalty. Miss Ginger and I have taken 3 cruises with Carnival and have seen no incentive to stay with the line. Their service is good, the amenities are comparable to other lines, but the only INCENTIVE that we got was a brochure advertising reunion cruises $100 to $150 higher than I could book through an online TA. Oh, they offered a $100 onboard credit too, but I still booked my next trip with RCCL cheaper than their SPECIAL OFFER. This is not to say that I prefer Royal Carrib over Carnival, I just have not seen the , so called bargains, that are touted, and that goes for all cruiselines, not just Carnival.

If anyone has a different conclusion, by all means, clue me in.

The one thing I don't want is free internet. Cruise time = time to get away.
In my case, if it weren't for Internet access I wouldn't be able to get away at all. I have a service oriented Internet business and there's no such thing as a day off. Being able to pick up email and put out the fires allows me the freedom to travel. Free Internet would be a terrific perk, freeing up several hundred $$ for better and more interesting things.

In my case, if it weren't for Internet access I wouldn't be able to get away at all. I have a service oriented Internet business and there's no such thing as a day off. Being able to pick up email and put out the fires allows me the freedom to travel. Free Internet would be a terrific perk, freeing up several hundred $$ for better and more interesting things.

I can certainly understand how for many the internet deal would be a good (or in your case great) perk. In my situation, if I'm gone - I'm gone. The downside is that 10 days is the most that I can currently stretch into a cruise. Some day though...............

I just haven't seen any loyalty bonus that would make me stay with one line only.

Charlie

Everyone, thanks for all the information and please keep the opinions coming!!!

It's a tough decision. I like the idea of loyalty perks (i.e, priority embarkation, debarkation, free internet, free laundry services (especially for those 10+ day cruises). However, I also want to be able to explore different ships and ports. It appears from what I've read, each line provides a different experience because the atmosphere (i.e., types of people that predominately book) is different. For example, Carnival is known for its younger more party like atmospheres, while Cunard has an older more refined crowd. Princess seems to be middle of the line, while Celebrity pampers its patrons more. Like I said during my original posting, my DH and I have opposing views. As you can probably tell, I want to try the different lines, while he wants the loyalty perks. Maybe once we hit the max benefits for a particular line, my DH won't mind exploring other CLs.

We are avid Royal Caribbean / Celebrity sailors. [i tried Carnival once and lived to rue the day.;)] As you achieve different levels the perks get a little better and the coupon book they give you is quite an incentive--albeit one that causes you to spend (buy one, get one free type coupons)--but they are mostly things you're likely to do anyway like get a massage! And my momma always said "Free stuff is good!"

As CaptData mentioned, the cruise credits are now interchangeable between the two lines once you complete 5 cruises. And you get double credits if you book a suite or Concierge Class. We also have the RCCL Visa card and those credits are good for free cruises and credits to your cabin account.

I'm sounding like a commercial, right? I didn't set out with the goal of staying with RCCL--but I haven't gotten around to trying all their ships yet, so I'll probably stick around a little longer! But that "dive-in movie" on Princess does sound like a hoot... Just remember any day on a cruise ship is better than a day at work! Enjoy! :D

Speaking as an Elite Member(or the equivalent) on several of the major cruiselines, the best perks seem to be on PRINCESS or CRYSTAL. Especially if you take longer cruises like I often do, the free laundry AND DRY CLEANING on PRINCESS is a definate plus. Even the free internet is appreciated on the longer cruises. I don't usually even use my free internet service, but for instance on a 31 day cruise on HAL 's ROTTERDAM, we were in Europe the entire month of september, when 4 hurricanes were hitting Florida (my home state) and even though I had over 20 cruises with HAL there was no free internet (or any other real )perks, so I had to pay the going rate just to go on and check if my home was still there everytime a new hurricane was heading in. AND the free laundry would have been great on a cruise of that length, but at least HAL has very good self service laundries on most decks. On that same subject, CELEBRITY does not have any self service laundries, and no free service (unless you're in the big suites perhaps), so on my longer cruises with that line it was a real pain to get it done, just filling out the form for $!.00 for every pair of socks and underwear, etc.

What I'm trying to convey is that sometimes it's not worth having loyalty to one line. After all those cruises with HAL, all you get is a cocktail party (that has so many people attending lately, that it's held at 11:30 in the morning, so I don't even go) and the ever exciting giant medal to hang around your neck. AND the worse part is that when I tell people how many cruises I've been on they assume I would get upgraded....but that has NEVER happened either. I have even sent letters to HAL, asking why they don't offer any real perks to their alumni, and I was told it's because "they have too many".....that was the whole answer. So if you intend to keep cruising, just pick the ship and itinerary that looks the best for you with the best price, and don't worry about the perks. You'll still have a great trip, and whatever you get for free is just a wonderful extra.

Archived