New propulsion problem on Millennium

cruisestitch

We are not on this particular sailing but will be on the 30th. I just got off the phone with celebrity and was told that there will be no 100% compensation for this cruise, instead they will compensate the tours and excursions in Icy Striat since the ship is going strait to Juneau... Please keep us posted.

The ship is NOT going to Juneau...that was stated earlier on this thread...

BILL

Am on current cruise definitely feel your pain but can't imagine next cruise happening unless a miracle fix occurs.

I am on the next cruise... and I am really hoping that they fix the issues and sail directly to Seward if they have to, to make sure that the next cruise happens on time. They are better of giving you guys compensation for the lost stops than giving you that + cancelling the next cruise.

Just came back on board after spending a few hours in a local bar. Good to get some local flavor that way if you're so inclined and I always like seeing the local hangouts anyway. Going to grab dinner (hey it's paid for) and possibly head back out for a bit later. The longshoremen we spoke with weren't overly optimistic for our departure tomorrow but hey, we have bathrooms, food and hot water so it could be much worse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Their loss.

Last week 160 people took the offer to get off the ship. I don't get it. I'm not at home making my own bed, cooking my own food.

These people left before any compensation has been offered. They will surely forfeit their entire cruise fare. Not too bright

So I am confused. There is nothing on Celebrity's own website about this. We are on the Sept. 6th southbound from Seward. Why wouldn't the cruise line put something on the Internet to keep people updated? And why not contact guests ahead of time to allay our concerns?

Karen:confused:

So I am confused. There is nothing on Celebrity's own website about this. We are on the Sept. 6th southbound from Seward. Why wouldn't the cruise line put something on the Internet to keep people updated? And why not contact guests ahead of time to allay our concerns?

Karen, I wouldn't expect them to communicate with anyone unless they think there's a chance their cruise will be impacted. It would just create a lot of (hopefully) needless worry. Remember that the vast majority of people cruising in the upcoming weeks aren't on Cruise Critic and more than likely don't know anything about a problem on the ship.

My guess is that Celebrity doesn't yet know what the outcome is going to be. A few posts back someone reported they are still trying to locate the root cause of the problem. I would assume repairs can't be made until the root problem is determined.

I completely understand your anxiety. I just completed my 34th year in the transportation industry and work in an operation's "nerve center" capacity. When things go awry, we can't go public with the "game plan" until we ourselves know what that plan is going to be.

Hopefully we'll all find out more info tomorrow.

I checked Celebrity's site, and there is info on the home page toward the top of the screen in a little floating blue box that says "Celebrity Millennium". It's the same place there was info on the last cruise. They have posted the same message given to us on board though without mention of compensation. Keep an eye there for info on the upcoming cruise as this was where I counted on info for our Aug 16 cruise. Our trip has already been compromised; I hope everything is resolved for those of you planning to board Millie soon.

Hi all,

Due to a mechanical problem in one of Celebrity Millennium's two propulsion units, the ship returned to Ketchikan, Alaska, last night. The ship is capable of sailing without the affected unit; however, in an abundance of caution, the Captain decided the safer and more prudent action was to return to port to evaluate of the issue. The safety of our guests and crew is always our highest priority.

Along with expert consultants, our engineers have been working around the clock to resolve the issue. Upon further investigation, it is clear that our teams need additional time to fully determine the root cause of the problem. Unfortunately, this means that Celebrity Millennium will not depart Ketchikan today. It will also be necessary to cancel Celebrity Millennium’s scheduled call to Juneau, Alaska, tomorrow, Tuesday, August 20.

We realize how disappointing this modification to our itinerary is to our guests, and we share in their disappointment. Once we know the full impact to the itinerary, we will provide further details.

Their loss.

Last week 160 people took the offer to get off the ship. I don't get it. I'm not at home making my own bed, cooking my own food.

These people left before any compensation has been offered. They will surely forfeit their entire cruise fare. Not too bright

Cruise stitch - I just noticed this post from you. I'm wondering if people figured they weren't going anywhere and were just wasting vacation days at work by staying. That's been an annoyance to me in all this. Vacation days are precious and not covered by trip insurance so with us sitting here, I'm wasting them so to speak... Just a thought.

cruises - or any cruise. As another said earlier - " 'Sh*t happens!' It's how you clean it up that matters."

Things like this is where a good local travel agent should be on your side. There is something to be said for the large, Internet agencies. Often a better deal.

However, if you have developed a business relationship with a local agent (maybe one part of a larger network - ours is with a local AAA office) that person should be informing you of any situations which might affect you.

In the case of the people who apparently left the Millie today, maybe some have a relative in a tenuous health situation. Schools are starting. Business meetings are scheduled, family weddings are planned, pax own health problems may be looming. If 30 people left the ship, there are probably 30 different reasons.

A good travel agent knowing your tolerance or time limits or pre- or post plans which are linked to a cruise, should be informing you. (You may be tied into car & hotel reservations which can be changed without penalty if done in advance) Maybe it's time to have a talk with that person and inform him/her that you expect to be informed of any possible snags of your travel plans in the future, booked through them.

As has been shown on these boards, in the past few weeks, clearly some agents are keeping track of their clients and trying to assist/inform them of changing events. When a tsunami hit Hawaii in the middle of our trip there and an airport & town were closed down, one call to our agent's rep solved problems of changing airports and a car & hotel transfer to a new location. The man in front of us at the Hawaii Air desk, was literally crying about not being able to get into Hilo and not having anyplace to go.

Aren't we all glad to know about Cruise Critic and are informed consumers? (even if sometimes things get out of hand here) We can all help one another through this site. Sincerely hope the ship's troubles are fixed by Sept and you have a marvelous, worry free cruise!

I heard from a fellow passenger that the people who left today were apparently leaving the cruise early anyway and had to get to a port, I'm assuming Juneau, to catch their flight to Australia. Of course, rumors are a danger, but this news makes me feel better about those who left, now it seems out of necessity.

Still no news regarding our departure from Ketchikan. Captain says he will have an update in the morning.

Definitely not the vacation we'd planned but relaxing nonetheless. Still planning to enjoy what we can. And apparently we'll have to return one day!

This ship continues to have problems. This company is hanging one on their customers. It needs to go to dry dock. We are still in our first port of call and the word is we are going one way or the other to Seward so they can board their next group of victims. 3 cruises and 3 break downs. This is a business integrity issue.

So sorry to hear that the problems are back on Millennium - we can all surmise what may or may not be the issue, but it sure sounds from the information that those here who know the cause had better ring the Captain asap!

It has been lovely to read of the positives so many have been able to place on their trip, though I appreciate, keeping the glass topped up to half full will become harder as time goes on.

I have read of some lovely experiences people have now had, evenings in a port that we only ever see in the day, the early morning salmon run, something we usually can only read about etc. I am sure no one wanted you to have these experiences on this trip, but happy in the situation you were able to find them.

For all the positive folks coming to these boards, there are also going to be all those onboard phoning their lawyers, kicking off to anyone who will listen, taking the victim mentality etc. I hope they remember that this is the second time the crew has had to handle this, they can only keep these smiles going for so long without a smile back (especially as many of them may have lost some time ashore as a result of this change as they will probably be needing to run with a higher port manning percentage).

And the cruiseline would not have sailed if they had thought they would be in this situation now

We are still in our first port of call and the word is we are going one way or the other to Seward so they can board their next group of victims.

As the planner for a party of 6 of six on the next cruise, I would much prefer that happening. We'd all rather be on the ship and enjoy some of our trip than have it cancelled completely.

Most of us are young and first time cruisers and we've been planning this trip's every single detail for over six months. If our trip gets cancelled completely, it will likely leave a mark and keep us away for planning cruise vacations in the future.

I could definitely spend time in Seward and use the ship as a floating hotel. The Seward Brewery is there and tasty. Thorns has great prime rib and halibut chunks. Gene's Place has some awesome food! The Sea Life Center is really, really cool! You can take a day trip into Anchorage. You can take a Major Marine trip. You can go fishing. The list goes on and on. Seward would be an awesome place to be stranded.

I can understand how disappointing it is for folks. DH and I have been a cruise that has missed ports because of bad weather (and of course those were the only ports we have never been to). We have also stayed in Jamaica for 7 days and it poured rain all of the 7 days (not quite what we were hoping for). It's unfortunate that people are currently stuck in Ketchikan but I'd just make the best of it. It is during the times where things are just out of an individual's control that attitude can play a big part in having a crummy time or a good time. I hope most people are having a good time and I hope they finally get Millie fixed.

It has been lovely to read of the positives so many have been able to place on their trip, though I appreciate, keeping the glass topped up to half full will become harder as time goes on.

You're so right with your "keeping the glass half full" comment. The difference between the Aug 9 and Aug 16 voyages is those that boarded on Aug 9 were immediately informed of their revised itinerary right from the beginning, thanks to the mechanical problem already being identified and a game plan in place. And that game plan never changed, with the exception of the ship's repairs being completed ahead of schedule, which is looked on as a positive thing.

In contrast, the Aug 16 sailing is now somewhat of a mystery voyage. While the day yesterday in Ketchikan was probably considered somewhat of a novelty to many, that novelty will soon wear off the longer the ship remains there and details of the rest the voyage are uncertain.

For those aboard, here's hoping you receive some concrete information today about the balance of your sailing. ;)

I think it's terrific that so many seem to have a glass half full attitude...and Celebrity financial management appreciates that you are happy and spending money at bars, etc on board while they aren't burning fuel or paying port charges. They are likely so elated by this that they are now thinking of one week, "we stay in port", cruises.

Come on folks....the passengers have flown all the way to alaska (or canada) to go on a cruise...a cruise some are taking after years of savings to do so, and they have planned their vacation from work to coincide with the cruise. For some/many, it's the cruise of a lifetime which is now, not a cruise to anywhere.

For some, it's just nice to be away from home....we're retired and can travel most any time so it's not such a big deal. Others don't have that luxury. Also others paid significant $'s for their airfare and as far as I know, Celebrity isn't refunding that portion....they were just offering a free cruise in the future (unclear actually). Insurance won't cover this except in some rare policies that cover mechanical breakdown of the cruise ship (if you think this is covered in your policy for your next trip, I suggest you read your policy because it probably isn't covered).

The situation isn't peaches and cream...for many, it sucks, for some it's dashed dreams of an Alaska cruise.

Let's be balanced here.....and not all take the "oh, it's wonderful, no matter where I am, I'm on a ship" view.....and suggest that those who are not happy and are perhaps complaining on board are somehow wrong in their attitude.

Archived