New propulsion problem on Millennium

cruisestitch

Announcement going on now. Cancelling the rest of the cruise. Full refund and credit towards a future celebrity cruise at 10p of fare you paid. They are arranging charter leaving from here beginning tomorrow

I'm so sorry to hear that.:( I'm sure you're incredibly disappointed by the way things have gone. Any word as to future cruises? My neighbor is supposed to be on the cruise leaving Seward on Friday.

We sail on Friday, I am pretty sure...the airline will not refund the money..

don't know about hotels or rental car...we were to spend one week in Vancouver, I guess all that money will be lost as well. But, it rather cancel than being stranded. Have to get back to work... :(

Very disappointing.

Why won't the cruise lines have regular maintenance schedule rather than trying to get every single penny?

As per other posters onboard, rest of sailing cancelled, 100% refund, 100% future cruise credit. 30 extra guest services reps en route. Chartered planes direct from Ketchikan being arranged starting tomorrow.

People on post-cruise tours will be transported so as to connect with those. The promise is that everyone else will be able to get home "at no extra cost" to them. Back-to-back passengers were told they'd be contacted directly; no official word of anything about the next sailing, but I would be surprised if it went ahead.

For what it's worth, the Aug 23, Aug 30, Sept 6 and Sept 13 Millennium sailings are no longer for sale on Celebrity's website. I entered August 2013 to September 2013 cruises on Millennium and the only result was the Sept 22 sailing from San Diego to Ft Lauderdale. Possibly just a precaution and they don't want to take new bookings until details are more certain. So as I said, for what it's worth at this moment in time....

For what it's worth, the Aug 23, Aug 30, Sept 6 and Sept 13 Millennium sailings are no longer for sale on Celebrity's website. I entered August 2013 to September 2013 cruises on Millennium and the only result was the Sept 22 sailing from San Diego to Ft Lauderdale. Possibly just a precaution and they don't want to take new bookings until details are more certain. So as I said, for what it's worth at this moment in time....

The ONLY Pacific Coastal showing right now is the Solstice cruise...all the Century ones are missing also. If I recall correctly, there were several available on that ship.

The ONLY Pacific Coastal showing right now is the Solstice cruise...all the Century ones are missing also. If I recall correctly, there were several available on that ship.

I wouldn't be surprised if their plan is to move some of Millie's Alaska and Pacific Coastal passengers over to Century.....

Hey - I think that is more than fair. I understand the time issue with folks - but if Celebrity is giving you this cruise to Ketchikan and Ketchikan only and is also going to pay for you to go on another cruise - you can't really ask for more. They are definitely doing their best to keep their passengers loyal.

Hi all, sharing our latest update as of 1:30 PM Eastern:

Our engineers, along with expert consultants from the motor’s manufacturer, and our Marine Operations team in Miami, have continued working around the clock to resolve the mechanical issue onboard Celebrity Millennium. Together, they have been doing everything they can to fully determine the root cause of the problem.

Regrettably, as of this time, they have been unable to find a satisfactory solution that would enable the ship to continue with its sailing. Because of this, it will be necessary to cancel the remainder of Celebrity Millennium’s current sailing. We are offering guests currently onboard Celebrity Millennium with compensation and assistance with travel arrangements.

We realize how disappointing this cancelled sailing is to our guests, and we share in their disappointment.

Updates and additional information for travel agents or others with contacts sailing on the August 16 cruise can call 1.888.829.4050. Those calling from outside the U.S. can call 1.305.539.6000 ext. 48155.

I wouldn't be surprised if their plan is to move some of Millie's Alaska and Pacific Coastal passengers over to Century.....

We are on the 9/13 out of Vancouver.......starting to get a little nervous. Re the comment about using Century (would be fine with me-was on B2B earlier this year on the Pacific Coast and loved it). Would they have to take volunteers on Century/Millie to cancel in order to move folks to Century? Not as large a ship...Just don't know the schedule and availability. Sounds complicated.....:eek:

I wouldn't panic on future Alaska cruises on Millie- right now it is all speculation. I'm sure they blocked sales on several future sailings for those on board now that want to re-book for a later date this season.

I would be concerned if I was booked on 8/23 for good reason but beyond that I'd be surprised if it wasn't fixed and back in normal operation.

I believe Celebrity needs to make a decision on the 23rd sailing and QUICK!! To look ahead to 2,500 people sitting on the dock in Seward with no boat there is just NOT going to happen. Having people board planes today or tomorrow or Thursday KNOWING that this ship CANNOT make the trip to Seward in enough time is crazy-and that point on the clock has already been determined-I'm not sure WHEN it is, but it is fast approaching. Time to give those of us that can salvage some of the expenses the time we need to do so.

Does anyone know the cruise line's policy when it comes to airfare and hotel refunds, or are we all just going to take that loss? Most are flying on non-refundable flights, etc.......

Just got off the phone with Celebrity...

For the August 23rd Sailing...

they don't have any information right now...

but the rep said that they will have more info tomorrow.

Good Luck!

Thanks for letting us know. Not encouraging, but at least it saves me the time on hold.

Good luck.

We sail on Friday, I am pretty sure...the airline will not refund the money..

don't know about hotels or rental car...we were to spend one week in Vancouver, I guess all that money will be lost as well. But, it rather cancel than being stranded. Have to get back to work... :(

Very disappointing.

Why won't the cruise lines have regular maintenance schedule rather than trying to get every single penny?

Hotel an car rentals can usually be cancelled a day or two before the reservation first day. Cancel before then for zero charges.

I believe Celebrity needs to make a decision on the 23rd sailing and QUICK!! To look ahead to 2,500 people sitting on the dock in Seward with no boat there is just NOT going to happen. Having people board planes today or tomorrow or Thursday KNOWING that this ship CANNOT make the trip to Seward in enough time is crazy-and that point on the clock has already been determined-I'm not sure WHEN it is, but it is fast approaching. Time to give those of us that can salvage some of the expenses the time we need to do so.

Does anyone know the cruise line's policy when it comes to airfare and hotel refunds, or are we all just going to take that loss? Most are flying on non-refundable flights, etc.......

There is no policy....every situation is handled as a one-off. Most travel insurance will not cover the airfare as a trip interuption since the cruise was cancelled due to a mechanical failure, not a bankruptcy of the carrier, but read your policy. Contact your insurance company in any case because you may be covered up to the limit on "trip delay"...and that can help alot.

Celebrity in the past has offered $150-300 to cover "change fees" for airline tickets....and only very rarely have they offered to reimburse for the entire cost of the air tickets. After some two or three months, passengers were finally reimbursed for their air tickets to/from Barcelona when the Century broke down a few years ago, but that was only after a very long ongoing negative, but factual thread right here in Cruise Critic which remained on the first page for everyone to read. The century never should have sailed from Barcelona (although that was never verified due to privacy laws) and they should have cancelled that cruise, but they didn't. Sounds like this is similar...if the pod wasn't repaired, perhaps they should have cancelled this cruise rather than get everyone on board, etc.. I suspect they do recognize the (marketing) exposure and may let those on the next cruise know early enough that they can cancel their air tickets and at least just pay the penalty.

I suggest that passengers state the compensation they feel is right and stick to their position, irrespective of what the customer relations folks say in response. The folks that will handle the initial requests are, best as we could tell, taught to automatically say no but they are not the decision makers...they are essentially roadblocks. If your request is fair, Celebrity will likely help...if you over-reach, maybe not so much.

As far as the 30 people arriving to help....that sounds frighteningly similar to the Century breakdown where we were promised the same thing, but nothing happened and the few folks that finally showed up really were no help at all.

Sorry to sound negative...but we lived through the Century situation and I can only react based on that, not great, experience.

Archived