Gros Morne Shore Excursion worth it?

We'll be in Corner Brook with RCL from noon to 9 p.m. Six months ago when I checked the shore excursion for going to Gros Morne National Park it was listed as a 9 1/2 hour tour. I wondered how this would work when we're only in port a total of 9 hours. Now I see the duration is listed as 7 hours, but the description of the tour remains the same. It will take us to the north side of the park with stops at the Visitors' Centre, the Lobster Cove Lighthouse and Western Brook Pond. As well there's a stop for lunch. It states that 4 hours of the travel time will be by coach, I suppose about 1 hour for lunch which leaves 2 hours to be out looking at the scenery. Plus the sun will be setting around 7:15. Any opinions on whether this is worth the $190 pricetag? Or should I do Gros Morne justice and save it until a land based trip?

I am on a different cruise but have a Cornerbrook stop as well and having been toying with whether to do this tour as well - as I don't fly I don't expect to get back to the "rock" any time soon - NCL shows it as around a 7 to 7.5 hour tour and approx the same price.

I also looked at the tourist info for Cornerbrook and there aren't a lot of other options to getting to Gros Morne other than renting a car.

Cheers

Dennis

We did this tour several years ago, and loved it. However we were very fortunate that it was quite warm for the fall, and the sun was out - which shows the beauty of the rocks. To this day one of the pictures from that trip is my screensaver! The tour guild was also wonderful. There is not much else to do in the port, as I remember. If it was cloudy, rainy, and/or cold, I am not sure it would have been quite as enjoyable.

• 4 weeks later...

First of all, have you completed your travels? If not, you may want to consider the trip. I am speaking from a local's point of view. My husband is from the Gros Morne area so I have been there many times. (I have never been on a cruise ship.) The Gros Morne area is the most beautiful part of our province. If you like hilly scenery, you will like this trip. If I were you, I would try and find out if the Western Brook portion of the tour includes a boat tour of the fjords. There is a short walk into a boat where you load and they take you to see the fjords. It's very similar to Norway. I haven't been on it in about 25 years but it's worth the trip. I'm assuming from the 7.5 hour tour length that the boat trip is probably not included.

If you are never returning to the province, I would probably do the tour. No offense to Corner Brook but I'm not sure what you'd do there for 9 hours.

We leave next week for our cruise. My friend has decided to do the ship's excursion to Gros Morne. DH and I would like to do a land trip to NFLD so I'm doing to leave Gros Morne till then. I realize there isn't a lot to see in Corner Brook, but I'm going to have a leisurely lunch on the ship and then put on my walking shoes (or rain boots!) and explore the town. I love walking so I'll climb the hill to the Captain Cook Monument to see the view (if the weather allows it). And perhaps do the Three Bear Mountain Trail and/or the Glynmill Pond Trail. And I'll make a trip to Tim Horton's.:)

Lynn

Archived