Snorkeling St Thomas and St Maarten

merknerk

;)Hello Everyone

We are going on Oasis in February and want some ideas for snorkeling. I am not a strong swimmer and only snorkeled once but would love to do it again. Can anyone recommend where we could find some calm and more shallow water on these islands? We would love to do the Catamaran and would book through the ship. Not opposed to taking a Catamaran to St John either. Never been on a Catamaran and it looks like so much fun.

On St Thomas there is pretty easy snorkeling at Coki Beach (I taught my then 5 year old daughter to snorkel there). Sapphire also has some shallow water snorkel spots but its a bit more difficult then Coki. As to St Maarten my suggestion is not to waste your time snorkeling. The best beaches on the island for snorkeling are either plagued by too oft rough waters or hard to access for cruisers.

Hank

Advice for a not strong swimmer.

Pool Noodles! My kids use them. Makes you feel a bit better. I pack them in the suit case and leave them behind. Piece of mind in a pool noodle. You can leave it to dive deeper, if you wish. My kids were happy with the noodle skimming the top. We took a private tour/sailboat. It was amazing and the best tour we EVER took. Highly recommend splurging. It was the five of us and 2 other boats in a cove. We never saw the people up close! It was totally private.

We don't do many ship excursions but we have done 2 catamaran snorkeling excursions in St Thomas through RCCL and they were both excellent. The excursion to Christmas Cove even provided noodles for those that wanted them. Neither was over crowded and both had young, energetic guides that swam with you. Both excursions provided all the rum punch, water and soft drinks you wanted after snorkeling. They were very reasonable and we had a blast on both. They were very good at pointing out anything of interest, including Eric Clapton's yacht, the Blue Guitar. Our last trip to St Thomas we did one of the St John on your own tours. Most on the tour were going to Trunk Bay and the taxis were at the pier waiting for us. Trunk Bay is an easy snorkel off of the beach, with a snorkel trail, gorgeous beach and St John, itself, is a beautiful, clean island.

We have also been to Sapphire Beach on our own, and enjoyed it very much, but we all thought the three RCCL excursions were much more fun.

My girl friend is not a strong swimmer and the catamaran snorkel to Christmas Cove was her first time snorkeling and she is now hooked. We have to plan at least 2 snorkeling excursions on each S Caribbean cruise. She's never had any problems.

We didn't snorkel in St Martin so I can't help with that. We've only been there once and did Bernard's tour. Loved Orient Beach and Maho Beach where the planes fly in.

From St. Thomas, I'd seriously consider an excursion to Trunk Bay on St. John. Just beautiful, and you snorkel from the beach.

All RCCL's snorkeling excursions include/require snorkel vests. As long as you can swim and are in decent shape, you'll be fine.

Here you go!

Go to look at tripadvisor.com

type in correct way for St. Martin!

Click things to do --- one of the top 5 on the island is to go with

Captain Alan!!!! All his staff are very trained, happy, small groups, half day or whole day --- they take you to 3 snorkel places

AND THEY NEVER forget to get you back to the ship on time.

We even got to skim the water with some gentle turtles. And a dolphin chased our boat -- so happy.

It was wonderrrrrrful...... Safe day, Great pop and beer and sandwhiches.

There is a reason people go with them--- over and over at St. Martin.

Just read the reviews there --- and you won't see a reason to go with 50+ people on the ship-herd "excursion"---Not the same!

HAVE FUN!

• 1 month later...
St. Thomas - Coki or Sapphire Beach

St. Martin - Pinel Island.

Must go to creole rock n Pinel island in SXM. Contact "coconut reef" for great small boat trips. Ask for Carla n tell her Maria from nj sent u. They can customize diff stops for u or go with their suggestions but the two I listed r great

Every time my sister has been in St Thomas she has done what used to be known as the Bones tour.... it's now a pirate ship sail to Christmas and Easter Islands.... with two stops for snorkeling, free drinks, free lunch on a beach where you spend part of the afternoon. I've done the tour once and I LOVED it and would do it if I made it back to St Thomas again.

;)Hello Everyone

We are going on Oasis in February and want some ideas for snorkeling. I am not a strong swimmer and only snorkeled once but would love to do it again. Can anyone recommend where we could find some calm and more shallow water on these islands? We would love to do the Catamaran and would book through the ship. Not opposed to taking a Catamaran to St John either. Never been on a Catamaran and it looks like so much fun.

/ have you considered the helmet dive at coral world in st Thomas better than snorkeling you walk on the ocean floor about 20 feet deep with a helmet no need for swimming awesome experience I recommend it particularly for none swimmer you see tons of fish and you have guides in the water with you that bring various types of sea life you can hold a little pricey but well worth it.

Archived