Veranda Rooms on the Vista Class Ships

don512

I've seen a lot of posts here, that when people ask about veranda rooms on these ships, the reply is to step up to an SS or suite. My questionis whether the standard veranda rooms are worth the extra price over a standard outside room? I know that these rooms are smaller than the ones on the older ships, but does that make them any less desirable?

We were three couples on the Westerdam..Two of us had standard outside cabins & one had a verandah...The verandah rooms are smaller than the standard outside rooms..The standard rooms have a large double couch, & table..The verandah rooms have a small single couch..Can't remember if there was a table..The extra space is used for the balcony..The couple with the verandah room said it was not worth it, but only you can decide if it's worth it to you..I would think it depends on how much you expect to use your balcony..Happy cruising:)

I was wondering the exact same thing. This will be our first time to have a verandah. Our last cruise on NCL was an outside cabin and barely more than a walk-in. Our first cruise (inside cabin) on HAL was much bigger, which is another reason we wanted to sail HAL again. How much more is it to upgrade to a suite? I'm wondering if this can even be changed as we already have our cabin number assigned. Phyllis

Just back from Zuiderdam (June 25 cruise) -- had verandah room -- Noticably smaller than verandahs on the smaller ships -- still nice to have the verandah. I felt that the room had too much furniture in it for the size as we were bumping and tripping over things all of the time. I missed the storage space provided on the smaller ships also -- the lack of desk drawers are a huge loss

The trouble is the SS cabins are noticably more pricey -- more pricey it seems than the verandahs on the older ships

The space and storage in the Vista verandah seem to be a step down from the inside or outside on the smaller ships except, of course, that it does have the perk of a verandah. All depends on what is important to you.

The difficulty in making direct comparisons between the standard verandah staterooms on the Vista Class and the verandahs on the S & R Class is that they aren't comparable...

The Superior Verandah Suites (SS and now SY) on the Vista Class are really the only staterooms comparable to the Mini-Suites (A, AA, B and BB) on the S and R Class vessels. These all have fairly roomy sitting areas, jacuzzi tubs, sizable verandahs, mini-bars, etc.

The Verandah Staterooms (VA-VF) on the Vista Class really aren't anything but what they are: a standard stateroom with a small verandah - of which there is nothing comparable on the S and R Class ships.

I think the difficulty is that HAL initially made the mistake of using the same designators for the standard verandah staterooms on the Vista Class as the Mini-Suites on the S and R Class. That surely lead to some early disappointment from folks who were booking their "regular" A or B Category stateroom, and not getting the space, comfort and amenities that they were accustomed to...

For only the second time in seven cruises together, DH and I had a verandah cabin on the Westerdam last December. DH thought the cabin was definitely smaller than on the Statendam. I thought it was partly because the new SOE bed looked bigger. The verandah was nice because it was private, but we actually used the deck chairs on Lower Prom at least as often as our own verandah.

The thing I missed most on the W'dam was the drawer space. I just don't understand why they eliminated the drawers in the desk area. Not everything can be stacked on shelves. Maybe it's a cultural thing however. From my student experience in France years ago, I know that the French, at least, used more closet shelf space and fewer drawers than most Americans did at the time.

We had an outside cabin on the Oosterdam in the Baltic and enjoyed the spaciousness and didn't miss having a verandah.

We sailed on the Westerdam in February and had a VA cabin. We used the verandah a lot and enjoyed the privacy but were surprised at how much smaller the cabin was. There was still plenty of room for the two of us and lots of storage space for seven days worth of clothes. We wouldn't book a Caribbean cruise without a balcony.

We are taking the Rotterdam in October from Venice to Lisbon and there were only outside cabins, inside cabins and penthouse available when we booked so we are in an outside cabin on the main deck. I don't think that will be a problem because it is such a port intensive cruise - only one day at sea out of ten.

So, to sum it all up it depends on your own likes, dislikes and your itinerary.

Helpful huh?

jan

I agree with most everything said here with regard to size, but personally I love the verandah and am willing to give up the inside space to have the outside space. It would matter a lot where you're sailing. Certainly in the Caribbean you will probably use the verandah a lot.

I rearranged the furniture the minute we got there. I put the ottoman under the dressing table and out of the way. I moved the little chair against the window. Then there is the half size couch. So there was really plenty of room, but definitely nowhere near the space on the "S" class.

The lack of drawer space is inexcusable because we have stayed in the same size cabin (actually slightly smaller) on the Millennium and it seemed to have more space. They built in the TV and had a number of drawers beneath. Also, they placed a large mirror opposite the bed giving the room a wider feel.

Still, if (like us) you think the SS is too large a step up, and if you like the idea of having breakfast on your balcony and a nice last minute late night lean over the rail:) , then the Verandah cabins are wonderful.

The standard verandah cabins on the Vista ships are mostly all the same size, but the verandahs are not.

Verandah cabins across the stern generally have larger verandahs but the verandah cabins in the indented middle section (look at the deck layout) have verandahs that are 12 to 18 inches shallower than the verandah cabins fore and aft - away from the large indented center area.

Vista SS suites are considerably larger than the Vista standard verandah cabins and even larger than the verandah cabins on the R and S class ships.

S suites on the Vista ships are somewhat smaller than the S suites on the R and S ships, but still quite spacious and comfortable and have the special perks.

The HAL website now lists square footage of the various categories on the price page. And while those figures allegedly give total size of cabin plus verandah, I know there are some variations, as mentioned above. Perhaps HAL is "averaging."

Verandas are nice if you can use them. On our Norwegan fjords cruise on the Westerdam in an "A' cabin and the transatlantic on the Princendam in an "SS"we never could sit or eat on the veranda. The large glass is nice to look out of but I don't think that justifies the extra cost. We have enjoyed the veranda on various Carribean crusies.

if you like the idea of having breakfast on your balcony and a nice last minute late night lean over the rail:) , then the Verandah cabins are wonderful.

Thanks all for the clarification. I did call our TA and was told only VA and lower cabins were available so we had no other choice... Our first two cruises were to colder climates so the verandah wasn't as important but we are so looking forward to our Caribbean cruise, specifically enjoying breakfast out on the verandah. I think having a verandah will be worth the smaller cabin. I'm sure I will feel I've died and gone to heaven anyway! :p Phyllis

colder climates so the verandah wasn't as important [/Quote]

One exception....Alaska and Inside Passage. We spent a lot of time on the verandah watching the scenery scroll by and when it was wet we left the door open and sat farther back in the cabin. Had morning coffee and rolls out there several times. Brought a VCR tape of soft music from cable TV music station and played on the cabin TV just for the music - very relaxing.

When we go to the Caribbean, we love a verandah. However, when we went on the Panama Canal cruise last December it was so windy we could not sit out there. Also, the table and chairs were always wet. Going to the Caribbean again this December and will definitely have a verandah. It is a priority with us. We love coming into a port and having coffee and croissants out there.

Archived