$$ Exchange / ATM

Meggiemotu

So looking forward to Tuesday departure ! $$ question. Is there an ATM at the airport in Tahiti or near the Carrefour close to ICH? We prefer to use local currency when we travel, will have rental car in Moorea and will do local shopping in various ports.

Where is the best place to find a working ATM?

Thanks

Tiki from what I recall it is to the right when you enter the hotel and are facing the pool. I think it was somewhere near the store.

This Feb we withdrew our money from the ATM. However, another person from our group used the reception and actually got a better rate than the ATM for the Canadian $. The rate was so good that he actually went back to the reception and told them that they had made a mistake but they said they hadnt!

In 2010 the ATM at the IC was not working. Mighty Quinn was the first one to tell me about this ATM.

We too had stayed there a few times but never never knew about it before.

• 1 month later...

So, when talking about using the ATM, you're talking about using a credit card in the ATM, correct? If so, the fee is whatever cash advance rate is on the card, isn't it?

Bank of America has an option for an advance purchase of foreign currency. Has anyone used that? How do the rates compare to cash advance fees?

So, when talking about using the ATM, you're talking about using a credit card in the ATM, correct? If so, the fee is whatever cash advance rate is on the card, isn't it?

Bank of America has an option for an advance purchase of foreign currency. Has anyone used that? How do the rates compare to cash advance fees?

No, used our bank debit card so no cash advance.

My signature card has no foreign transaction fee, but I've never seen a card with no cash advance fee. Unfortunately, BofA doesn't have any agreements with any banks in Tahiti so there's a transaction fee on any ATM transactions that's equal to the credit card cash advance fee.

My signature card has no foreign transaction fee, but I've never seen a card with no cash advance fee. Unfortunately, BofA doesn't have any agreements with any banks in Tahiti so there's a transaction fee on any ATM transactions that's equal to the credit card cash advance fee.

We used a debit card to draw money and not a credit card. We have a long standing account with no charges whatoever. Something you cannot get now but grandfathered as loyal customers......maybe its different in the US.

We opened a Charles Schwab bank account just for the free ATM use when traveling. It does need to be linked to a brokerage account but they do rebate ATM fees when withdrawing from your checking account. Their customer service is excellent too. Has worked well for us all over the world.

• 2 weeks later...

We, too, used our Schwab debit card to get Polynesian francs from the Banque de Polynesie ATM at the airport on 10/2/13. When I compared the exchange rate (oanda) on the day of withdrawal to the amount charged to my Schwab account, it was about $4 more. Since Schwab rebates all fees, I figure this must have been a 1% exchange fee (I got 2 withdrawals of $400 worth of francs), instead of an ATM fee - which would have been credited. Still, this small charge saved a LOT of money on the shore excursions I booked myself (5-10%). Unfortunately, the "receipt" I got from Banque de Polynesie told me NOTHING except how much I had withdrawn in francs! Do NOT use a credit card, as you will pay cash advance fees, as well as - usually - foreign transaction fees (usually 3%).

Archived